“Good location, but too expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Delta Hotel

Save Saved
You added Delta Hotel to your Saves list
Delta Hotel
3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   University Way, Nairobi, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #54 of 157 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Den Haag, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“Good location, but too expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The location of the Delta hotel is good. For Nairobi concepts, it is quiet safe.
But the furnishing of the hotel is really terrible! The rooms (double room) are quiet large and clean and the shower is ok.

There are a few restaurants and bars directly next to the hotel, so there is a lot of noise until late in the evening. The breakfast is basic.

The hotel is definitely over priced for the service and comfort that they offer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed here for only a few hours one night, in order to catch an early shuttle to Tanzania. It's conveniently located less than one block from the shuttles on Monrovia Street. They're all parked basically around the corner. All of Nairobi is on the expensive side, so I paid $95USD for really old, questionable sheets in a dark room. It was the only moderate room I could find between a hostel and a five star. The bathroom is kind of a nightmare, as the shower and toilet are in one space. The rooms are quite noisy from the street and passersby in the hall. Even if it had one redeeming quality, I might recommend it, but like I said, it's in a really convenient location in City Center. We even walked to Nairobi Java House in 15 mins. So maybe that's the redeeming quality.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kisumu, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This hotel is right in the middle of the city just across the central police station. Room furnishings are fair at 80 USD for a double.

The 'crowning jewel' is the service. As terrible as it can get. The porter helping with my luggage was disinterested and dragged it and bumped it on just about anything. I had to politely ask him to let me do it myself.
Then the instant water heater in my room blew away within seconds, a really dangerous thing, but the management would not repair it or give me another room. For the whole day, they kept tossing me between themselves and even asked me (more than once) to make certain it was really not working!
No one was even remotely apologetic that I had no warm water in my room.
It was my first time trying out this place and they outdid themselves in sending me away. I would not recommend this hotel to my enemy.

Room Tip: Once you pay, you are on your own.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Nairobi seems to be an expensive place as far as hotels are concerned. For a hotel like Delta where we booked a triple room and a single room, the cost of more than $ 300 seemed steep. The triple cost around $ 220.00 and the single $ 80.00. The single was so small that it could just about accommodate a bed and barely had place to move. As I was there just for 11 hours and had to spend the night- it didn't matter too much. Breakfast was OK . The hotel gives an impression of being small but I think its fairly decent size as it covers quite a bit of area.
The lift wasn't working so the staff carried my suitcase to 2nd floor. Breakfast next morning was
The place is pretty close to to downtown business district. There were a few eating places nearby so you didn't have to eat at hotel if you didn't want to.
I don't know if this hotel was expensive or is Nairobi generally an expensive place to stay. My stay was too short to investigate this aspect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This hotel was good enough for a one night stay. The porter helped carry my heavy bag upstairs. The room was clean and had everything I needed, although certainly not anything special. It was quite noisy, because there seemed to be a nightclub or party going on nearby. I don't know if this is usual or not.

My main complaint is with the restaurant downstairs. A short time after eating there, myself and several people traveling with me became ill with a a long-lasting bacterial illness. I cannot say that it was definitely this place of course, but it is the most likely possibility. The service was so lax generally that I imagine the kitchens are not terribly clean.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed at the Delta Hotel as a group of friends for one night during July 2012 as it was a cheap option within a 30 minute drive of the airport.

The hotel itself is reasonable. I would give the hotel itself an average rating. The rooms were clean and reasonable, but not quiet as we were near a main road. The lift was not working during our stay; this is something to bear in mind if you have a heavy set of bags. The room had a mosquito curtain, but this didn't look up to much. The hotel had provided a can of mosquito killer in the room. Obviously this would be very useful if the mosquitos fly through the building's vents in the walls while you are asleep!

So, the rooms were reasonable, but the service was bad in places. When we checked out, the receptionist said that the price of the Taxi had increased by 50%. This was despite the original price having been agreed the night before. We had to argue our case to get it back down. Even then, the price we paid was quite high, so be warned.

The main thing I would advise other travellers would be NOT to eat in the 'Fontaine Sports Bar', which is part of the hotel complex and presumably run by the owners. It is accessed off the main road, with a small mobile phone shop between the reception and the bar. This is because of the following reasons:
The service of the staff in the Sports Bar was poor, to say the least. They completely confused our order, missing some items. Then they delivered a meat dish instead of a vegetable dish (glad we were not vegetarian). The 'boneless chicken breast' had several leg bones in it. The final bill was wrong and had not taken into account the items we had changed.

If this was not bad enough, during our onward travel to the next destination a number of our party came down with severe stomach bugs. It can only have occurred at this sports bar as we had not eaten anything else since except some snacks we had bought. The stomach bug included acute diarrhea which did not go after 5 days and required medical attention. In the end, we were forced to cut our holiday short and fly back home early: all because of the Fontaine Sports Bar!

Conclusion: If you stay at the hotel, then watch out for the staff trying to sneak up your taxi bill. The hotel itself is basic and would be good for a night or two and the price is very reasonable. But, under no circumstances should you eat at the Fontaine Sports Bar!

Room Tip: Try and ask for a quiet room- possibly higher up. The rooms which look out at the front are noisy be...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Great atmosphere....Exceptional staff and Amazing food!Not your usual city center hotel setup, they really try to make you feel like your away in a beach resort room once you are in the rooms. Definitely going back there, especially loved the 'black and red' themed rooms....:-)

Room Tip: Rooms in the 5th floor are more quiet and private
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Delta Hotel? Share your experiences!