“Ramshackle hut in the most remote corner of nairobi.” 1 of 5 stars

Eden Gardens
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   26 Convent Drive, Nairobi 00603, Kenya   |
Ranked #38 of 151 Nairobi B&B and Inns
karachi
“Ramshackle hut in the most remote corner of nairobi.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is my second time to Kenya, deciding to take my daughter to the sights and sounds of safari and the beautiful beaches of Mombasa. However, the start couldnt have been worse. From the surreal landscape of Nairobi airport after it was burned out last week, to the neverending drive to the hut. The locality is at least an hour away from the aiport, in an absolutely remote corner of Nairobi, a place which can be aptly called the heart of darkness. we were dead tired after a long flight, and were shocked to hear that our booking has been cancelled. This happened at 11pm at night, and however polite the owner tried to be in paying for our taxi and giving us an alternate hotel, the whole episode left a very bad taste in our mouth. We were given a night in a hotel called Nairobi Transit Hotel, which was possibly the worst hotel in the worst area of Nairobi I have ever stayed. This hut is not recommended, unless you reallly want to experience how people in shantytown live.

• Stayed August 2013

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Fort Lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had booked a deluxe double room based on the photos of the property. Specifically, I was expecting the red room with the nice looking furniture. When we arrived, we were given the standard room which was too small for two of us to move around in with our luggage. I pulled up my reservation online and asked if we had the deluxe room. The front desk clerk said that was the room they offer for our price range. I complained that I had booked a deluxe room and showed her the photos on their website, specifically showing that we were put in the standard room. She offered to let us use the other deluxe room (not the red one) for the same price. We could now have both rooms for the original price or just the deluxe room and share the restroom for a discount. We did not want to share the bathroom so we took both rooms. The restroom is outside of the rooms, but there is an external door that closes all three rooms off from other guests.

The "other" deluxe room is the shown in the subsequent photos. It is essentially a standard room, just larger. There is no sofa like the one pictured in the red room. So be careful when booking, as you may not get the room you expect.

As for the property itself, the outside looks nice, but as other reviewers have indicated, the pretty waterfall/stream that runs through the backyard is essentially sewage. We tried to get close to take photos, but were kept away by the stench. Bathroom was moldy and did not have hot water. By American standards, the inside would be comparable to a highway "no-tell motel" but this appears to be the norm for budget lodgings at about the $100/night range in Nairobi.

The chef was very nice and helpful and the food was pretty good. He asked if we were staying for a month and I almost laughed out loud. I'm still trying to figure out if he was joking or not.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at Eden Gardens for 6 days in june to hold a certification course on Mikrotik. It is a very good location for trainings of small groups as they have limited rooms and a beautiful garden. This provided a very good atmotsphere in the group and we really got a close connection. The training room was nice and internet faster then anywhere else I have tested it in East Africa. The Food was reasonable and tasty.

The staff was amazing and assisted wherever they could. Special thanks to Ann and Rashid!

The rooms are decorated in African themes. The first night I was in room 1 which was great for me but the bathroom needs updating. The rest of the stay was in room 4 which has a New bathroom.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

A river runs through it. Unfortunately just upstream of the house a sewer empties into the river and the river bank is littered by garbage and muck. The gardener appears to have been on long leave, about twenty years, and has the garden an air of neglect. Nothing has been recently maintained, stairs are missing paving blocks, pool fittings corroded, but pool water clean.

The bedroom does not match the description. No bath just a shower with an online heater with electric fittings insulated with masking tape. Not very safe, but you also have to dodge the grunge and mould in the shower. Needs a good spring clean.

Felt claustrophobic with the burglar bars and the closed windows to keep out the stench.

Owner not available to discuss or resolve issues. Hapless staff unable to assist although they did their best.

Once asleep bed was comfortable.

Could possibly be an acceptable backpacker joint at $30 a night, but a ripoff at $100 a night.

Many of the guests were looking for alternative accommodation.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
EdenGardensNBO, Owner at Eden Gardens, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Louis

I am very sad to see your review from your visit at Eden Gardens. We deeply apologize that you feel this way about your stay.

I am also a little bit puzzled. I did assist to arrange a citytour for you after you had stayed several hours at our place and none of the above points were mentioned. The first time I heard about your unhappiness was in the evening when your travel agent called me and told me you wanted to check out the next day, but refused to pay. Since you had already stayed the whole day at our place with plenty of time to raise any complaints, I told your travel agent that you would have to pay for one night if you chose to stay for the night.

The next day you did not leave but chose to stay for one additional night. However, when you checked out the next day you again refused to pay, and you only paid after you were informed that we had your credit card number on file.

At the same time there was a sewage problem in the area the day you arrived and I understand that this experience affected the way you see our hotel. There is a river going along the border of our property and this particular day something had happened upstream. As you might be aware of, Nairobi infrastructure is not yet up to the standards in Australia and unfortunately this day there must have been a leakage or illegal dumping upstream. We apologize for the situation the first day you arrived. We have reported the incident to the National Environmental Management Authority and hope it will never occur again.

In regards to your other points we do have a program to upgrade the bathrooms. Eden Gardens is a homely, relaxing place that has been under our management for around 16 months. We do upgrade one area at a time, and by the end of this year all the bathroom should be up to modern standard.

It might not have been the right choice for you, but for people that are looking for an affordable, relaxing and homely place away from the chaotic Nairobi life, with fast internet and great service, close to places like Westlands and Junction, many reviewers on this site and others think we are a great option.

I hope the rest of your holiday was great.

Best regards

Endre Opdal
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Although not a proper hotel in the true sense of the word, this is a great place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of Nairobi. It feels more like serviced apartments. If you are after a quiet place to recover from travelling this is it. My partner was ill when we arrived but we were superbly looked after by Endra who went out of his way to make us relaxed and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Due to the reviews of Eden Gardens on this site, I deceided to try the place a few days on my stopover in Nairobi. Having just laneded from an overnight flight from Nairobi, it was just what I needed.

On arrival I was picked up on the airport by their very friendly driver Douglas. He called the hotel to make sure I had a very tasty and filling english breakfast on arrival. I was checked in to room number 5 which is styled in a nice african design. All the rooms have their own design.

I used the two days I was there to relax by the pool and enjoyed their fast free wifi. It is one of the fastest I have encountered in Africa.

Great value in Nairobi!

Room Tip: Room 5 is a nice spacious room, with a nice view of the garden and the small river.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
G
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Somewhat disappointing. Relatively inexpensive, but value wise this is average (at best). I would describe it neither as a hotel, nor having a restaurant; it is more like a guest house. Internally it is a little tired and in need of modernisation, although the website talks handsomely of Norwegian investment. On a positive, staff are very friendly and helpful, and most pleasant (although the manager is prone to factual inaccuracies, to put it politely). My experience of this place is summed up by my breakfast experiences - yesterday there was no fruit, no cereal, no yoghurt etc. I informed the staff, but today little changed (one banana each, but no tea bags!). Apparently, according to the manager, there is a fruit shortage in Kenya at the moment?? Amusing, but somewhat incorrect. In short, an unbiased, impartial and objective 3 out of 10 for me.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Eden Gardens? Share your experiences!