“House of sewage” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   26 Convent Drive, Nairobi 00603, Kenya   |
Ranked #39 of 162 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“House of sewage”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

A river runs through it. Unfortunately just upstream of the house a sewer empties into the river and the river bank is littered by garbage and muck. The gardener appears to have been on long leave, about twenty years, and has the garden an air of neglect. Nothing has been recently maintained, stairs are missing paving blocks, pool fittings corroded, but pool water clean.

The bedroom does not match the description. No bath just a shower with an online heater with electric fittings insulated with masking tape. Not very safe, but you also have to dodge the grunge and mould in the shower. Needs a good spring clean.

Felt claustrophobic with the burglar bars and the closed windows to keep out the stench.

Owner not available to discuss or resolve issues. Hapless staff unable to assist although they did their best.

Once asleep bed was comfortable.

Could possibly be an acceptable backpacker joint at $30 a night, but a ripoff at $100 a night.

Many of the guests were looking for alternative accommodation.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
EdenGardensNBO, Owner at Eden Gardens, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Louis

I am very sad to see your review from your visit at Eden Gardens. We deeply apologize that you feel this way about your stay.

I am also a little bit puzzled. I did assist to arrange a citytour for you after you had stayed several hours at our place and none of the above points were mentioned. The first time I heard about your unhappiness was in the evening when your travel agent called me and told me you wanted to check out the next day, but refused to pay. Since you had already stayed the whole day at our place with plenty of time to raise any complaints, I told your travel agent that you would have to pay for one night if you chose to stay for the night.

The next day you did not leave but chose to stay for one additional night. However, when you checked out the next day you again refused to pay, and you only paid after you were informed that we had your credit card number on file.

At the same time there was a sewage problem in the area the day you arrived and I understand that this experience affected the way you see our hotel. There is a river going along the border of our property and this particular day something had happened upstream. As you might be aware of, Nairobi infrastructure is not yet up to the standards in Australia and unfortunately this day there must have been a leakage or illegal dumping upstream. We apologize for the situation the first day you arrived. We have reported the incident to the National Environmental Management Authority and hope it will never occur again.

In regards to your other points we do have a program to upgrade the bathrooms. Eden Gardens is a homely, relaxing place that has been under our management for around 16 months. We do upgrade one area at a time, and by the end of this year all the bathroom should be up to modern standard.

It might not have been the right choice for you, but for people that are looking for an affordable, relaxing and homely place away from the chaotic Nairobi life, with fast internet and great service, close to places like Westlands and Junction, many reviewers on this site and others think we are a great option.

I hope the rest of your holiday was great.

Best regards

Endre Opdal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Although not a proper hotel in the true sense of the word, this is a great place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of Nairobi. It feels more like serviced apartments. If you are after a quiet place to recover from travelling this is it. My partner was ill when we arrived but we were superbly looked after by Endra who went out of his way to make us relaxed and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Due to the reviews of Eden Gardens on this site, I deceided to try the place a few days on my stopover in Nairobi. Having just laneded from an overnight flight from Nairobi, it was just what I needed.

On arrival I was picked up on the airport by their very friendly driver Douglas. He called the hotel to make sure I had a very tasty and filling english breakfast on arrival. I was checked in to room number 5 which is styled in a nice african design. All the rooms have their own design.

I used the two days I was there to relax by the pool and enjoyed their fast free wifi. It is one of the fastest I have encountered in Africa.

Great value in Nairobi!

Room Tip: Room 5 is a nice spacious room, with a nice view of the garden and the small river.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
G
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Somewhat disappointing. Relatively inexpensive, but value wise this is average (at best). I would describe it neither as a hotel, nor having a restaurant; it is more like a guest house. Internally it is a little tired and in need of modernisation, although the website talks handsomely of Norwegian investment. On a positive, staff are very friendly and helpful, and most pleasant (although the manager is prone to factual inaccuracies, to put it politely). My experience of this place is summed up by my breakfast experiences - yesterday there was no fruit, no cereal, no yoghurt etc. I informed the staff, but today little changed (one banana each, but no tea bags!). Apparently, according to the manager, there is a fruit shortage in Kenya at the moment?? Amusing, but somewhat incorrect. In short, an unbiased, impartial and objective 3 out of 10 for me.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Although not as fancy as some bigger names ( you get what you pay for), the helpfulness of the staff makes up for what is missing in terms of big infrastructure.

To begin with, I called a day before my arrival as I needed a pickup & reservation in the middle of the night. My call was answered promptly, all details noted and there was a car waiting for me at the airport when I arrived. No miscommunications, no confusions, no delayed drivers. Very comforting.

The hotel arranged a car for me when I needed to visit a friend, without a lot of insistence or reminders. Although a bit pricier than a usual taxi, the driver waited for me and was a fairly smart guy, so it all made sense.

The Kitchen staff is open to ideas and will customize food for you if you want something specific. Good food, cooked to your taste can be a blessing if you're doing Africa for a longer duration. The food is moderately priced as well so it doesn't burn a hole in your pocket. ($5-$7 a dish).

The room itself is basic, the mattress could be a little more comfy though. What strikes as a first impression is that the rooms are spacious.

The location is secure, not very central but in an area where walking around is not an issue. ( Except for the dust)

The pool was not in a great state when I visited but could be a temporary thing. The seating area around the pool is very relaxing and a great place to read a book or just chill.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I am a frequent traveler and used to stay in downtown hotels until I was introduced to Eden Gardens last year. I have not stayed anywhere else since when visiting Nairobi and don't plan to because Eden Gardens offers the only true home away from home experience I have ever had or expect. The staff is great; the place is neat, quite and clean. It's location in the posh Lavington area is ideal for anyone who wants to experience a home-style short or long-term stay at very reasonable rates. Endre Opdal who runs the place is as friendly and welcoming an owner/operator you're unlikely to find elsewhere. Endre will do what he can to make sure the guests are comfortable and their needs are met. To him, a guest is not just another entry in the bottom line for the day and this is obvious from the first time you get in contact with him. He cares for each guest and this is reflected in his excellent staff who are equally friendly, professional and at your service in the true sense of hotel hospitality. Will highly recommend Eden Gardens to anyone who likes to feel at home while traveling.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I saw Eden Gardens as the best place to be for the best accommodation and best services. Located in Lavington, its the most serene place you could imagine of. Away from the town pollution and congestion, relaxing is guaranteed at Eden Gardens. I was amazed by the cool atmosphere surrounding this hotel. The swimming pool was so clean and strategically located. I cannot forget to mention about the Super-Fast Wi-Fi connection. The rooms were so clean that I felt I could spend the whole month there. I loved their services as well as their considerable prices. Sure I will come back soon to enjoy the comfort of being at Eden Gardens.

Room Tip: Room at the corner
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Eden Gardens? Share your experiences!