“Business-Vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Business-Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have stayed at five different hotels in Nairobi. Eden Gardens ranks at the number two spot of them all (overall). If I factor in price, Eden Gardens ranks number one. Eden Gardens is currently undergoing renovations and that is the only improvement necessary. I would love to see it in a year's time.
The staff are AWESOME. They are beautiful and very attentive. The hotel was VERY CLEAN. Internet service was the best that I ever experienced in Nairobi. I am not a food critic, but breakfast was EXTREMELY good. The staff made whatever I wanted and I must say that it was very tasty.
Upon both arrival and departure, Endre came out to greet me. I never experienced this in any Nairobi or any other city hotel. The reservations were also smooth and professional. The location is also great. The running stream could be heard at night and made for a restful sleep.
All being said - I WILL DEFINITELY RETURN.

Room Tip: Back Room is best
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I had an amazing time there! the staff were really kind and easygoing. They would provide you with all you need. If you feel like cooking there, make sure you take the ingredients you need since they only have stuff for breakfast that is actually pretty decent! It was great to be there!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Entebbe, Uganda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was looking for a hotel to stay in Nairobi when I stumbled upon Eden Garden Hotel's website. The website has a live chat and I was able to chat with an operator. He was very friendly and helped me arrange transfers from the airport once I got to Nairobi. The cab service was excellent; the driver (Samuel) was very informative, he gave me a quick orientation of Nairobi. Whenever I needed him he was always on time and took me to which ever place I wanted, even recommending best deal places.
The place is very homely,very clean and neat with a vintage feel. The front desk manager (Esther) was polite and kind. I noticed that the water heater in my bathroom wasn't working but it was fixed immediately I reported, which was good. My room was very spacious and the bed was comfortable with a mosquito net (the area has mosquitoes). Break fast is served from 8:30am, however you can request for an earlier breakfast which I found convenient considering that I had to be out early.
They only provide breakfast, typically toasted bread, Spanish omelet, sausages, fruit juice, coffee/African tea and fruits, though you can request for something else. You could find a decent place around to have your other meals. The Wi-Fi was very good only that sometimes it was unstable especially when I tried to use my smart phone.
The gardens are well done and the swimming pool is in good condition only that it was not very clean. I must say I really enjoyed my stay there and next time I am in Nairobi, I won't hesitate check in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Ours was a last-minute reservation and Endre was quick to respond. Our room was large and comfortable, and the staff was very helpful, helping us negotiate rates with local taxis/drivers. Breakfast was hot, filling and made to order. The weather was a bit cool for a dip in the pool, but we enjoyed reading outside in the garden. Overall, based on our experience elsewhere in Nairobi: excellent value!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We only stayed 1 day but the facilities were excellent. Clean and well cared for. The staff was amazing! Super friendly. We loved it! Highly recommended to anyone traveling in Kenya.

We came in mid-morning and were served a very tasty breakfast and then rested awhile before drifting off to sleep for a few hours. We had traveled on a 7 day safari then took a 4 day trip to Dubai. This was a scheduled stop on a 12-hour layover between Nairobi and Addis Ababa - beats heck out of sitting in the airport for 12 hours!

Bottom line: Very nice, clean and comfortable stay for a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Had a fantastic experience at Eden Gardens. The staff was kind and attentive, the place is beautiful, the room was comfortable, and the wifi was literally the best of any I'd found in all of Kenya (probably helped that my room was right by the router :)). I was streaming TV shows like whoa, something I had missed being able to do. Would highly recommend Eden Gardens and would love to visit again the next time I'm in Nairobi! Thanks Endre!

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I do not think that my experience could be any further from any of the other reviewers.

First, there was a misunderstanding with our reservation, so we showed up only to be told that there was no availability. They recommended another hotel nearby that the front desk person had never stepped foot in, which was also more expensive. When we made it back the next evening (for our actual reservation), we were told that we were shown two rooms for two of us, while we had booked one for both of us. We were then told that we would have to pay for both at the price quoted to us for a double room. We were continually asked to pay more for our double room even though we had email evidence with the actual price. We had previously been staying somewhere else in Nairobi for a lower price that was significantly nicer and more hospitable.

The room itself was okay. It looked like it had been surface cleaned but not really. The bathroom looked as if it hadn't been updated or changed in 10 years - grout stains everywhere, dried dry wall in lumps on the floor, cracked and broken towels, the towel rack was only half on the wall. The shower consisted of a dribble. The whole place just has a shabby/half done feel to it. We found out that Endre bought it about 6 months ago from a previous owner. They obviously have not done anything to update it or make it look better. As far as the poster who mentioned the fabulous pool, not sure if rusty and uncleaned is fabulous but to each their own. Additionally, our room was not cleaned between the nights of our stay, which we thought was weird. We actually did not see a cleaning person the entire time we were there.

Also, I am not sure about the wonderful staff that everyone talks about. We saw Maureen a few times - but she was mostly brief and short and not very helpful. The night attendant was impossible to communicate with - nothing processed - She was distant, spacy, and irresponsible.

The food that people rave about - well, it smells amazing when you walk in, so apparently someone is cooking, but it is obviously not for the guests. The first day for breakfast we were given tea (as requested), two burnt pieces of toast, and a whole mango with a knife when we asked for fruit. We had an early pick up the next morning and when we told the above mentioned night attendant, she specifically asked if we wanted breakfast. We said yes. We ended up waking her up that morning (this was a general trend). She said that she couldn't do anything because the chef wasn't there (we had asked for toast and tea). She led me to the kitchen where she couldn't figure out how to turn on the electric kettle, so I made all three of us tea, found bread and made toast myself.

We did meet Endre, who was extremely pleasant and happy to have a conversation, but we were there three days and saw him for a total of 10 minutes. The place is in a great area and definitely has potential if they are willing to get a true staff and update some elements. As of right now, I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone traveling to Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
EdenGardensNBO, Owner at Eden Gardens, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear FRF 40,

Thank you for taking your time to write your lengthy review. We appreciate all feedback, both good and bad so that we can continously develop a better product for our guests.

First of all, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Eden Gardens. I wished you would have pointed out some of your problems when we had our chat, as I am sure most of the problems could have been sorted straight away. However, I can ensure you that we have gone carefully through your list to ensure that no other guest have the same experience as you.

Then let me go through your feedback:

Problems with reservation: The reservation was done through your friend, and later even changed through another friend. I have gone through the communication to try to see how the problems came up.

Your friend reserved two single rooms. We gave him the single room price and told him that due to a wedding we would not be available for all the dates you wanted. Another person came back to us and confirmed the two rooms for the dates we could accomodate you.

When you arrived, you arrived a few days before the reservation we had confirmed, and our receptionist reccommended a hotel nearby. We are sorry that you were not happy about our reccomandation.

As you came back to check in, we had prepared two single rooms for you. We were told that you wanted a double room instead, which we fixed. Since there is a price difference between a single and a double room, you were asked to pay for the double room price. From your review I can see that we must have communicated unclear to you, and you protested. Due to your protest, we let you have the double room for a single room price. I appologise for the unclear communication from our staff.

I am suprised to hear your complaints about the cleaness of the rooms. The rooms are cleaned every day. However, it could be that you kept the key to the room, locking our staff out from it. We try to avoid having to many keys to the rooms for security reasons.

However, I do agree with you that the bathroom had a few problems. Unfortunatly we had not checked the bathroom well enough after the previous guests checked out, and it is now up to our normal standards. Again, I wished you would have notified us while you were staying with us, so that we could have given you another room.

I see that you had several complaints agains our night staff. I can understand the frustration. Due to the small size of our hotel, we have not prioritised our night service. We had given a young student an opportunity to make some income by looking after the reception at night, and solve simple requests from guest. From your feedback I see that we need better trained staff at night. We appreciate this information.

Breakfast is served from 07:00 every day, and earlier on request. Our night staff was not trained in the kitchen and was unfortunatly not able to help you. Had you given us notice the day before, we would have been able to serve you a regular breakfast before your safari. However, I can see that the breakfast times has not been communicated clearly enough to our guests, so we will make improvments on how we inform our guests.

It is true that the hotel has been running from January. I can ensure you that we have done several investments, and improvments and continue to do so. Next in line is flatscreen TVs in all the rooms in addition to 7 more rooms with new bathrooms.

Regaring the pool, you arrived one day after the wedding. Unfortunatly several sand bags used to hold candles for the wedding had fallen into the pool. The sand came into the drainage system and we needed to do a special cleaning. The pool is back to its normal blue colours. You can see pictures onour profile here how the pool looked like the day of the wedding.

Again, thank you for pointing out areas we need to improve on. I am happy you see the potential in the place, and I hope you will return to visit us next time you are in Nairobi to see our progress.

Best regards

Endre Opdal
Eden Gardens

Been to Eden Gardens? Share your experiences!