“Poor experience at best” 2 of 5 stars

Eden Gardens
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   26 Convent Drive, Nairobi 00603, Kenya   |
Ranked #38 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Boston
“Poor experience at best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I do not think that my experience could be any further from any of the other reviewers.

First, there was a misunderstanding with our reservation, so we showed up only to be told that there was no availability. They recommended another hotel nearby that the front desk person had never stepped foot in, which was also more expensive. When we made it back the next evening (for our actual reservation), we were told that we were shown two rooms for two of us, while we had booked one for both of us. We were then told that we would have to pay for both at the price quoted to us for a double room. We were continually asked to pay more for our double room even though we had email evidence with the actual price. We had previously been staying somewhere else in Nairobi for a lower price that was significantly nicer and more hospitable.

The room itself was okay. It looked like it had been surface cleaned but not really. The bathroom looked as if it hadn't been updated or changed in 10 years - grout stains everywhere, dried dry wall in lumps on the floor, cracked and broken towels, the towel rack was only half on the wall. The shower consisted of a dribble. The whole place just has a shabby/half done feel to it. We found out that Endre bought it about 6 months ago from a previous owner. They obviously have not done anything to update it or make it look better. As far as the poster who mentioned the fabulous pool, not sure if rusty and uncleaned is fabulous but to each their own. Additionally, our room was not cleaned between the nights of our stay, which we thought was weird. We actually did not see a cleaning person the entire time we were there.

Also, I am not sure about the wonderful staff that everyone talks about. We saw Maureen a few times - but she was mostly brief and short and not very helpful. The night attendant was impossible to communicate with - nothing processed - She was distant, spacy, and irresponsible.

The food that people rave about - well, it smells amazing when you walk in, so apparently someone is cooking, but it is obviously not for the guests. The first day for breakfast we were given tea (as requested), two burnt pieces of toast, and a whole mango with a knife when we asked for fruit. We had an early pick up the next morning and when we told the above mentioned night attendant, she specifically asked if we wanted breakfast. We said yes. We ended up waking her up that morning (this was a general trend). She said that she couldn't do anything because the chef wasn't there (we had asked for toast and tea). She led me to the kitchen where she couldn't figure out how to turn on the electric kettle, so I made all three of us tea, found bread and made toast myself.

We did meet Endre, who was extremely pleasant and happy to have a conversation, but we were there three days and saw him for a total of 10 minutes. The place is in a great area and definitely has potential if they are willing to get a true staff and update some elements. As of right now, I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone traveling to Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
EdenGardensNBO, Owner at Eden Gardens, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear FRF 40,

Thank you for taking your time to write your lengthy review. We appreciate all feedback, both good and bad so that we can continously develop a better product for our guests.

First of all, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Eden Gardens. I wished you would have pointed out some of your problems when we had our chat, as I am sure most of the problems could have been sorted straight away. However, I can ensure you that we have gone carefully through your list to ensure that no other guest have the same experience as you.

Then let me go through your feedback:

Problems with reservation: The reservation was done through your friend, and later even changed through another friend. I have gone through the communication to try to see how the problems came up.

Your friend reserved two single rooms. We gave him the single room price and told him that due to a wedding we would not be available for all the dates you wanted. Another person came back to us and confirmed the two rooms for the dates we could accomodate you.

When you arrived, you arrived a few days before the reservation we had confirmed, and our receptionist reccommended a hotel nearby. We are sorry that you were not happy about our reccomandation.

As you came back to check in, we had prepared two single rooms for you. We were told that you wanted a double room instead, which we fixed. Since there is a price difference between a single and a double room, you were asked to pay for the double room price. From your review I can see that we must have communicated unclear to you, and you protested. Due to your protest, we let you have the double room for a single room price. I appologise for the unclear communication from our staff.

I am suprised to hear your complaints about the cleaness of the rooms. The rooms are cleaned every day. However, it could be that you kept the key to the room, locking our staff out from it. We try to avoid having to many keys to the rooms for security reasons.

However, I do agree with you that the bathroom had a few problems. Unfortunatly we had not checked the bathroom well enough after the previous guests checked out, and it is now up to our normal standards. Again, I wished you would have notified us while you were staying with us, so that we could have given you another room.

I see that you had several complaints agains our night staff. I can understand the frustration. Due to the small size of our hotel, we have not prioritised our night service. We had given a young student an opportunity to make some income by looking after the reception at night, and solve simple requests from guest. From your feedback I see that we need better trained staff at night. We appreciate this information.

Breakfast is served from 07:00 every day, and earlier on request. Our night staff was not trained in the kitchen and was unfortunatly not able to help you. Had you given us notice the day before, we would have been able to serve you a regular breakfast before your safari. However, I can see that the breakfast times has not been communicated clearly enough to our guests, so we will make improvments on how we inform our guests.

It is true that the hotel has been running from January. I can ensure you that we have done several investments, and improvments and continue to do so. Next in line is flatscreen TVs in all the rooms in addition to 7 more rooms with new bathrooms.

Regaring the pool, you arrived one day after the wedding. Unfortunatly several sand bags used to hold candles for the wedding had fallen into the pool. The sand came into the drainage system and we needed to do a special cleaning. The pool is back to its normal blue colours. You can see pictures onour profile here how the pool looked like the day of the wedding.

Again, thank you for pointing out areas we need to improve on. I am happy you see the potential in the place, and I hope you will return to visit us next time you are in Nairobi to see our progress.

Best regards

Endre Opdal
Eden Gardens

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The titles of the other reviews are somewhat surprising and I can't see what we missed. True, the garden is pleasant, although the pool water looked a little too green for my liking and certainly not the same blue as the photograph shows. The bedroom was very tiny, there were no lamp shades on the lights and only 2 of the 3 light bulbs worked. Breakfast was passable but cold, being cooked before we arrived at the breakfast table. Good quiet location towards the outskirts of Nairobi. The staff were pleasant and friendly. The real disappointment was the fact that we unfortunately left pyjamas in the room (didn't have them in our bag and only stayed one place for one night, wore them at night, left them in the bed) but nobody admitted to finding them. We know they were there. What else can we say. It makes the stay really disappointing. With the Tripadvisor discount, this is good value. The full price is, in our opinion, poor value. Again, it's one of those places that we might stay if we had no other choices.

Room Tip: Room 1 is very small
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oslo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed for a week at Eden Gardens in Nairobi together with my wife and it was a very pleasant experience. Eden Gardens is located in the upscale area of Lavington and it is very nice to walk around in the area. It is very green and peaceful here with several nice restaurants around. (You might have to take a taxi to get there)

The hotel itself has everything you would need with fast internet and excellent service. It is a laid back atmosphere and the staff is more then willing to have a chat. I loved relaxing in the wonderful garden next to the pool.

Breakfast was great, and I love their omelette.

It is the best deal I ever got in Nairobi,and I think I will be staying at Eden Gardens when I am in town.

Room Tip: Room number 5 is excellent.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Eden Gardens was more than expected. It has an amazing garden that is perfect for functions. The rooms are very nice and cosy, and the staff is very service minded and hard working. Me and my husband stayed in Eden for totally 2 weeks and for one of the weeks we had company from friends and family from Norway. I am very happy I found Eden Gardens when me and my husband where looking for a venue. We really had a beautiful wedding, and we would definitly stay in Eden again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi-KE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Eden Gardens is totally out of this world....from the warm reception at the entrance, to the friendly staff who were all smiles throughout this experience,i most certainly recommend this amazing heaven to friends who wish to have a quiet get-away without having to leave the city. The ambiance is just fantastic;room colours set to match your mood of the day, breathtaking natural scenery, fantastic pool experience....so much to say i could write all day!

Thanks so much for this magical experience right in the heart of this extremely busy city :-)
We'll definitely be back for more! 7 star service worked out just perfect....

Room Tip: Purple-coloured room;superb for a romantic getaway :-) 100% sound-proof
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Enre (the owner), organized for me to be picked up from the airport at 1 am! Even though he was not in town, he made sure everything was awesome.

The price is VERY affordable and it is located in ht posh part of town but not far away from places I wanted to visit.

In summary, when next I or any friends of mine will be visiting Nairobi, this is where they will be staying.

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room that had a shared bathroom. But The other room was vacant so I did not nee...
Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Eden Gardens was a refferal through a common friend of myself and Endre, I was not the least bit dissapointed and could not believe my luck to discover Eden gardens, a beautiful, intimate, exquisite and cosy guest house with lots of greenery, a river flowing through the compound and a swimming pool all in an upmarket and tranquil location.

Our host Endre was extremely hospitable, very patient as he waited up for us when we arrived late (at 9pm) and was quick to respond to calls and texts. He showed us around the cottage and was quick to attend to our needs.

We loved the interior design in the cottage as everything from wall paint to furniture was well thought out. It is cosily furnished and we actually felt like we were at home! It has a big screen TV (a plus for all men:-)) cable, DVD home theatre, a collection of movies, Internet. Swimming pool is a big plus and was therapeutic to watch the river flowing by.

The cook made great food as we had an opportunity to sample her breakfast and lunch.

I am definately going back to Eden gardens in the next few weeks for another relaxing weekend getaway. Perfect location at an unbeatable price!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Eden Gardens? Share your experiences!