“Have they changed chefs?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mediterraneo Gigiri

Mediterraneo Gigiri
United Nations Avenue | Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #111 of 318 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Nairobi Central Business District
Nairobi, Kenya
“Have they changed chefs?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

A great ambience and great service but the food sucks. Remember loving it when first opened but have been totally disappointed the last 5 times I have been there. Even the ice creams seem like they aren't very good quality brands.

Visited February 2014

66% Recommend
Nairobi, Kenya
“Terrible food and service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Went for dinner with a friend and ordered the duck strips (can't remember the name), it was on the Chef's special list. When the waiter came to take the order he said it was a starter, but the menu didn't indicate that, so I went ahead coz didn't know the quantity as I'm not a heavy eater at dinner. The dish was unpalatable, it wasn't tasty looked like a jelly so I sent it back.

Ordered for the baked lamb shank, which I have eaten many times elsewhere and the meat normally just falls off the bone. The waiter tried to persuade me to go for the lamb chops but I knew what I wanted...when it finally came, it came with a steak knife (I wondered why). When I started eaten, the meat was soooo tough and didn't taste fresh at all. The mashed potatoes was good but the meat was the highlight of the meal and was horrible. I would have asked for a hacksaw to cut it. So 2nd time around had to send it back but decided not to order anything else.

To their credit they didn't charge for these two meals. My friend ordered for a lasagna which he left halfway as it didn't taste good.

My friend had warned me that he'd dined there twice and didn't like it, I told him all the other Mediterraneos I'd gone to were fabulous and that we should give this one another try. After the 3rd attempt on his side, I agree with him they need to step up their act. And as for the service, the waiters are not attentive and you have to really wave your hands to catch someone's attention.

Visited March 2014
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Overpriced for what it is!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Went late Sunday afternoon and as it was a nice day, we sat outside. Unfortunately, there were a lot of insects and we asked for the relevant insect repellent candle. Unfortunately it took three requests to arrive.

The food was definitely Italian, but only by sight and name...the taste was definitely...well...pasta and a sauce. We chose the pasta and prawns and the pasta and mixed seafood, and sadly, they both lacked the prawns and mixed seafood...so we had pasta and tomato sauce. The olives were nice as a starter though!

Funny thing, I asked for some chilli to drizzle over the top to give it some taste and "zing", and they brought out two bowls of chopped green chillis with the seeds, with a little olive oil drizzled over the top! Still, we gave it a go...and blew our heads off!!

Overall, a nice restaurant, but perhaps we chose badly with the pasta and perhaps should have had the Osso Bucco, or similar. Probably won't try again as for shared olives and bread, three beers, one glass of wine and two bowls of pasta, it was £73. In the UK, my guess is a genuine local Italian restaurant would charge nearer £40.

Up to you if you decide to give it a try.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“Mediterraneo it is !! (but its not!!)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Being a fan of Mediterraneo for many years, we ventured into this branch (because the 9West had a private function) and wanted to eat there only.

Plus points : was that it had a cosy homely feel to it, with a nice lawn with indoor and outdoor seating; staff as always were very attentive and helpful, especially with kids.

But when you come to Mediterraneo you come for the food!! In our personal view this was not up to par with the food we used to get in the original westlands branch or The Junction branch.

We will no doubt be back again to Mediterraneo but at the other branches.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Consistent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Great italian food in nairobi.. this particular branch has been quite consistent.. keep up the good work! Great place for large group parties! Service could be better..

• Visited May 2013