“Wonderful way to land in Kenya” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Emakoko

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Emakoko
Save Saved
You added The Emakoko to your Saves list
P.O.Box 738 | Uhuru Gardens, Nairobi GP 00517, Kenya   |
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful way to land in Kenya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was the first time my husband and I had ever travelled to Kenya or even Africa and so we were a little nervous. Arriving late at night at the international airport we had to spend the night in or around Nairobi before setting off to our safari camps. Our travel agent suggested we stay at this very new lodge that boarders Nairobi National Park. In fact, after a 20 minute drive from the airport, you drive through the national park to reach Emakoko. We even saw lions at night during the drive. Our driver from Emmakok who picked us up at the airport, Elizaban, was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. We truly began our safari the minute we set foot out of the Nairobi airport as Elizeban told us about every animal we encountered while driving through the Nairobi National Park on route to Emakoko. Arriving at the lodge was amazing as we were greeted by all of the lodge staff, along with the owners, and we were offered a candle lit dinner in the dinning room before being taken to our private lodge. The temperature was cold upon our arrival and so we so appreciated our cozy bedroom with a burning fire in the fireplace. The facilities were wonderful, the hospitality outstanding, and the ambience incredible. The only barrier separating Emakoko from the park is the river. The rooms consist of private lodge-like facilities with a sitting room, en suit bathroom, and wide veranda. I cannot imagine a more wonderful place to start one's safari from. The only negative from tourist perspective is that the electricity does not run 24 hours a day. This is understandable because Emakoko prides itself on being eco friendly. Thus, the generator only operates after 6:00 p.m. and is turned off off after 10:00 p.m. We stayed at Emakoko again for the last night in Kenya before flying home. Arriving during the day meant we could not connect our electronic devices to electricity until after 6:00 p.m. Jane & Nicolai

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Emandant, Owner at The Emakoko, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you so very much for chosing The Emakoko as a Nairobi destination and thank you even more for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We appreciate this enormously.

I wanted to inform you that as of the 23rd of October we have finally been hooked up to the Nairobi grid and are fully enjoying 24 hour power, with the back up of the generator! While we are now on the mains, we will no doubt experience the odd power cut, but this will not affect our visitors in anyway.

Thank you once again for staying with us and being so patient about our electricity issues.

Kind regards,

Emm Childs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was skeptical about staying in a lodge in Nairobi National Park, but as we were arriving on the BA flight from London on Saturday evening and our flight down to the beach was not until the following afternoon we allowed our travel agent to persuade us to try Emakoko.

We were met at Jomo Kenyatta and driven to the lodge – it’s rather fun going into the park when no one else is there and having a night drive. We arrived and were welcomed by Anthony and showed our room – Emma had arranged a late supper for us but having spent all day eating on the plane we weren’t hungry and my wife was tired – she had spotted someone in the bar who we had last seen in Antarctica – it’s a small world so I went to have a drink and say hello.

The following day we had a wonderful game drive – the animals are easy to see and doesn’t take the hard work that is needed in some other locations – I was amazed at the diversity and number of animals that we saw – rhino, buffalo, Grant’s and Thomson’s gazelle, zebra, ostrich and lion – we were lucky to see a total of 30 lions in a three hour period, initially three females, then two separate males, three more and then two before coming across a kill – initially we saw four separate males then a number of females before seeing more (including cubs) under a tree finishing up the remains – we were told by the rangers that there were over 20 at the kill that morning.

We were sad to leave, having only had breakfast and not sampled what we understand to be great main meals. Next time we are in Nairobi we’ll go back.

Emma and Anthony have created a wonderful place - our room was spacious and a great place to relax and unwind in – there was even a terrace on which we could relax before going to Wilson and flying down to the beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Edwards, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

After almost 30 days in the bush around different parts of Africa, we ended with a day's stay here. It was a wonderful way to ease back into civilization. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, the food wonderful and we saw a hippo come to the swimming pool once the sun set. Anthony, the owner, is charming and full of good stories. Just don't bother with a massage - really not worth the money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great place to get out of Nairobi over the weekend. Game viewing is not the greatest, but it's super close to the city, nicely setup and the staff and owner are super friendly. Clearly better than staying in a hotel in the city!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I took my first trip to Kenya this past August and expected Nairobi to be an annoying stopover before the "real" trip began. I was so delighted with Emakoko and my only is regret is that I didn't say LONGER ! I was greeted at the airport and pleased to discover that much of the drive to the lodge is through Nairobi National Park. It was night but before long we spotted a few animals and even saw two lions. I arrived to a warm greeting by the staff and hosts and had such a lovely time talking with Emma and Anthony in the lovely bar area. I was then taken to my cottage which was quite spacious with a beautiful stone fireplace, lovely verandah, and very chic decor. I was summoned early the next day with a delicious breakfast in my room followed by a trip to the airport at dawn. We spotted so many animals it was like being on a mini-game drive. I was so happy that the travel agent recommended a day room at Emakoko for the very long layover at the end of my trip because I knew I would get to go back. If you have a long layover this is the way to go. Instead of sitting in Nairobi airport for 11 hours I was able to visit the Sheldrick Trust and then relax at Emakoko - it certainly made me feel like I was still on safari. Thanks Emma and Anthony for creating such an incredible place - I hope I can come back, and next time I will spend an entire day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Emma and Anton were such gracious hosts and the rest of the staff were exceptional.Nothing was too much trouble.Newton our guide/driver was very patient and kind.The decor is beautiful.The food is exceptional.A real "piece of heaven".A perfect place from which to explore Nairobi from yet maintain your sanity!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were in Kenya for just 20 days visiting family, and had the most incredible two days with my husband and our two girls. We drove from the city centre and the game viewing (welcoming buffalo herd) was just the perfect start to our visit. We went on 2 game drives the next day, morning and evening and saw a lot of animals, including a male and female lion in the evening. Topped it off with a sundowner at a crest overlooking the lodge and saw the most amazing sunset. Definitely going to be one of my favorite rest stops in future ...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Emakoko? Share your experiences!