“What a Sham!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Johannesburg, South Africa
“What a Sham!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

For whatever it is worth I would like to provide you with feedback in relation to our wedding after-party on 21 December 2013 - hopefully this will ensure that you provide better service to your other guests/customers.

Kudos to the kitchen team, they did a fab job in ensuring that our guests were well fed despite the numbers almost being double that 50 we had expected.

This said, Wanja and I were greatly disappointed by the quality of the other services afforded to us and our guests - it is more painful that this was after your reassurance over a period of 4 months that all would go well and us living to our end of the bargain in terms of constant follow up and payment.

Our disappointment:

1.The agreed venue (Poolside) was not available and upon our arrival we had to literally had to kick-out other patrons from this space and idle aimlessly as the space was hurriedly set up;
2.The set-up at the venue was not as per our agreement and we had to make do with the make-shift set-up - the type of tables and seat agreed upon were not availed, the heaters/jikos were not provided as agreed - after lengthy pleading with the manager on duty we manged to get two jikos to share amongst 100 people - hope you get the absurdity;
3.Despite having been in constant communication with you over a period of four months, the manager on duty on the night did not appear to have any brief about our function and was least helpful. Whilst we appreciate and did not necessarily expect you to have been on duty on the day, we expected that there would at least have been a decent brief to the duty manager - talking to you on phone on the night was not helpful at all;
4.The waiter service (more lack of service) -it still beats me how one waiter was supposed to attend to 50 people and the manager on duty could not work it himself that he needed to increase the number of waiters available to our party as the numbers grew - we literally had to beg for waiters to be assigned to our party (not like it was your busiest night of the year); and
5.The DJ - Please don't market yourself as having an in-house DJ. It is unfortunate that we had to get involved in your internal wrangling with your service providers over fees and still ended up with a 3rd rate DJ with no understanding of music or crowd dynamics and who refused to meet with us before hand to agree on our choice of music.You should rather let your customers source their own DJs.

May be our party of 100 was too small to warrant your first class service, but this was a once of event in our lives and the above the memories we will always have of our wedding after-party - just hope you make use of our feedback and that you will not mess up other people's memories.

Regards
Job

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

nairobi
“disaster at its best”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I booked for a luncheon and the staff acted "suprised" when I arrived there with my guests. The place reserved for my guests had other patrons, the tables were dirty and sorrounded by flies! The service was terrible and whereas I had indicated that I shall be there by 3pm, the food was served at 4! therefore we waited for one whole hour. I had baked chicken on my menu which was served at 5 pm after the guests had already eaten and their lame excuse was that there was no electricity! really! what happened to back up power supplies? The place is a total disaster and I will not be returning and neither will I recommend the place.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Has unexploited potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We went to Bonds for dinner and drinks. I was not that hungry and when the food came I was sure I'd eat only half of it, but I actually ate every morsel. The pork chops were quite good. The service is quite wanting though, we had to keep waiting for a waiter to walk into the room. It was not very populated and at around 1030 shutters started coming down. It is however a nice place to go if you'd like to have a conversational evening, fairly peaceful and not too loud.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“I won't be back!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place has the potential to be a nice restaurant, and would probably be OK if a small number of people want to eat there. they can't cope with a large group, and the service in general was terrible. The knives and forks were put on a plate in the middle of the table for everyone to find what they wanted as there were fish knives mixed up with steak knives. The food when it came after 2 hours was variable. The fish and chips was fine, but other dishes quite peculiar. Probably a lunch for a small group would be OK there, don't take a large party in the evening!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi
“Total disaster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Despite giving 5 days notice before taking a party of 15 to Bonds they were not ready for us. They hurriedly put tables together for us when we arrived. 90 minutes after ordering our meals no food had arrived, so I went to ask about it. When food did start to arrive they stacked it on a nearby table to go cold so they could serve us all at once. I finally persuaded them that we were so hungry that we were more interested in eating warm food immediately than in being served cold food simultaneously. Those who ordered canelloni with sauce and cheese were brought strips of pasta with no sauce and no cheese. My meal took more than two hours to arrive. The manager came to apologize and offer us free coffee. What an insult! My meal went cold while he tried to negotiate with me. He eventually agreed to leave three meals off the bill. I should have left Bonds happy after a fun evening with friends and colleagues. Instead I left so angry I couldn't sleep for hours.

• Visited July 2013