“Excellent place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

You added Bush House & Camp to your Saves list
Bush House & Camp
1 Silanga Close | Fair Acres Rd., Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Tokoroa, New Zealand
“Excellent place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Excellent place to stay very clean, I would highly recommend to other travelers, very friendly staff, they were there to help you any time of the day or night, food was great and they supplied you with bottled water every day. Grace the manage was excellent to deal with when booking made it so easy :-)
Kind Regards
Suzie Jansen
From NZ

Room Tip: I would say all rooms would be good
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Al Mahallah al Kubra, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

When I came to Bush House dec 2012 I was received with a warm welcome. During my stay all staff made me very happy, and they stretched himself a long way to accommodate my needs.

Tank you all at Bush House!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Global African
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We spent 2 nights at Bush House & Camp in early August.
Bush house is essentially a converted family house with a variety of rooms, most of them dorm-type, but some single and double rooms with/without ensuite bathroom.
It is not in Nairobi centre, but in Karen, a quiet, treed residential area approx 27km from the airport. Taxis easily available.

Admin around the booking was a little relaxed and we did make sure that we recomfirmed our booking before leaving home, especially as we arrived on one of the first flights after the airport fire. Also we had noted some reviews about bookings that did not materialise.
We booked a double room for with private bathroom and that is what we got - with bonus upgrade as they were really full with a volunteer group at the time. So our upgraded room was huge - more like a suite. Comfortable, if a bit noisy until the other people went to bed as it faced the restaurant.
Comfortable bed, clean room. Good condition mosquito net. The shower had hot water on demand (instant heater) and although the water pressure was not very high, it was adequate.

Staff were all friendly and extremely helpful, even though the place was packed. It seemed that nothing was too much trouble.

We ate there as well and elected to just have the buffet that the volunteer group had. Food was ok, not great - upon reflection we should rather have opted for "a la carte" which we were offered.

Ratings shown below have taken into account that this is essentially a backpackers lodge, not a 5* hotel. Value rating is based on our perception of what your $ buy in Nairobi which is frighteningly expensive!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked three nights at Bush House & Camp via booking.com 3 months ahead of our travel. 3 days prior to departure we send an email to the hotel to remind them about the reservation and they confirmed. Upon arrival at the hotel we were turned away due to double booking.

Although they provided an alternative accommodation (Karen Embers Guesthouse, wonderful place, by the way), not honoring the reservations caused us major problems with 3 safari operators who we had prior arrangements with. We would strongly advise any fellow travelers not to trust Bush House & Camp for any bookings in advance (only if you go directly and they happen to have a free room at the moment) and find an alternative accommodation in Karen instead.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I actually did not stay at this property because they gave away our room. Another customer had a cancelled flight so they were allowed to remain in the room I reserved about 6 months ago.

I and my travelling partner were exhausted after a long, busy vacation and when we arrived, I asked if we could upgrade to the deluxe accomodation. That's when I was told that not only were the deluxe rooms booked, but so was the standard room I had reserved. I immediately started to leave so I could catch our driver before he left. The staff said I would like the tent and asked me to look at it first. I did. It was just a large tent with a bed and some furniture and a restroom attached. Being a cold night in Nairobi, I again refused. As I was leaving, the manager came out and said that she had set us up with a room at another nearby property called Elishama Greens. She said that the new room would be better than the one reserved at Bush House.

Elishama was nice by Nairobi standards. It reminded me of a college dorm. It was a little worn out but that appears to be normal for the budget price range. The staff there was excellent.

Despite having given my room to someone else, I would say that the staff at Bush House was somewhat helpful. They did have another room reserved elsewhere, but they also tried to get me to take the tent, without giving me the option first. The manager was apologetic and got us a deal on a driver for a tour the next day. The property looked nice from the lobby, although the giant shoe rack was a little unusual (It appears you cannot wear shoes in carpeted areas). It was a little hard to find (no sign out front). However, since I would have been sleeping in a cold tent, had I not complained, I cannot give them a good rating or recommend Bush House to others.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Even though it's more of a hostel with its dorm rooms, my wife and I had a room to ourselves in the house. The staff were always friendly and helpful, arranging a taxi to take us to see the giraffes, elephant orphanage and Karen Blixen museum for 6000 shillings (plus entry) and arranged a sandwich and beer even though it was about 9pm when we arrived. Airport transfers were US$30 each way, payable with the bill on their card machine. Nice gardens, comfy bed, ok shower, a bit out of the way but great value - what more can I say? Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Very nice place to stay at, staff is above all expectations... however, make sure you get a room inside the house and not in the back house as those rooms are smaller and darker. In the beginning when going towards the back house it seemed a little 'dodgy' but it turned out to be ok (considering how difficult it is to find a friendly, neat and cheap hotel in this city). Food is amazing, John (the cook) is a very warm person, buses go very near the hotel and you can go have quick a excursion through the outskirts of Nairobi and is walking distance form the Giraffe sanctuary. No hot water both days I stayed at an internet only in the big house (not in the back one).

Room Tip: Choose a room in the house (although is more expensive)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bush House & Camp? Share your experiences!