“Avoid booking this place” 1 of 5 stars

HostelBookers.com
Bush House & Camp
1 Silanga Close | Fair Acres Rd., Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ottawa, Canada
“Avoid booking this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We booked three nights at Bush House & Camp via booking.com 3 months ahead of our travel. 3 days prior to departure we send an email to the hotel to remind them about the reservation and they confirmed. Upon arrival at the hotel we were turned away due to double booking.

Although they provided an alternative accommodation (Karen Embers Guesthouse, wonderful place, by the way), not honoring the reservations caused us major problems with 3 safari operators who we had prior arrangements with. We would strongly advise any fellow travelers not to trust Bush House & Camp for any bookings in advance (only if you go directly and they happen to have a free room at the moment) and find an alternative accommodation in Karen instead.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fort Lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I actually did not stay at this property because they gave away our room. Another customer had a cancelled flight so they were allowed to remain in the room I reserved about 6 months ago.

I and my travelling partner were exhausted after a long, busy vacation and when we arrived, I asked if we could upgrade to the deluxe accomodation. That's when I was told that not only were the deluxe rooms booked, but so was the standard room I had reserved. I immediately started to leave so I could catch our driver before he left. The staff said I would like the tent and asked me to look at it first. I did. It was just a large tent with a bed and some furniture and a restroom attached. Being a cold night in Nairobi, I again refused. As I was leaving, the manager came out and said that she had set us up with a room at another nearby property called Elishama Greens. She said that the new room would be better than the one reserved at Bush House.

Elishama was nice by Nairobi standards. It reminded me of a college dorm. It was a little worn out but that appears to be normal for the budget price range. The staff there was excellent.

Despite having given my room to someone else, I would say that the staff at Bush House was somewhat helpful. They did have another room reserved elsewhere, but they also tried to get me to take the tent, without giving me the option first. The manager was apologetic and got us a deal on a driver for a tour the next day. The property looked nice from the lobby, although the giant shoe rack was a little unusual (It appears you cannot wear shoes in carpeted areas). It was a little hard to find (no sign out front). However, since I would have been sleeping in a cold tent, had I not complained, I cannot give them a good rating or recommend Bush House to others.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Even though it's more of a hostel with its dorm rooms, my wife and I had a room to ourselves in the house. The staff were always friendly and helpful, arranging a taxi to take us to see the giraffes, elephant orphanage and Karen Blixen museum for 6000 shillings (plus entry) and arranged a sandwich and beer even though it was about 9pm when we arrived. Airport transfers were US$30 each way, payable with the bill on their card machine. Nice gardens, comfy bed, ok shower, a bit out of the way but great value - what more can I say? Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Very nice place to stay at, staff is above all expectations... however, make sure you get a room inside the house and not in the back house as those rooms are smaller and darker. In the beginning when going towards the back house it seemed a little 'dodgy' but it turned out to be ok (considering how difficult it is to find a friendly, neat and cheap hotel in this city). Food is amazing, John (the cook) is a very warm person, buses go very near the hotel and you can go have quick a excursion through the outskirts of Nairobi and is walking distance form the Giraffe sanctuary. No hot water both days I stayed at an internet only in the big house (not in the back one).

Room Tip: Choose a room in the house (although is more expensive)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed in the Bush House before and after our Safari. We really loved this place. The staff is super friendly and welcoming and made us feel at home. The guest house is in a very quiet (and posh) neighbourhood of Nairobi and surrounded by a beautiful garden. We enjoyed the delicious breakfast on the veranda looking at the blossomed trees in the garden. We also liked that it's familiy run and decorated in what we believe is African style with thick carpets and dark wooden furniture pieces. A nice contrast to soul-less international hotel chains. I also recommend this place for single travelers, because of the inviting living-room like common area and the super nice staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

i loved the fact the transportation was arranged,the staff were very friendly and superbe, The food was deliciousi also enjoyed the privacy in my room although had access to business center and conference hall.Having wifi access was great and the security made me fell very safe

Room Tip: rooms are custom prepared for each individual,make sure you communicate your needs while booking
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

bush house is the best b&b i have visited in Nairobi Kenya, clean,affordable rates,accessible and wonderful staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Bush House & Camp? Share your experiences!