“Great ambiance and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Kitchener, Canada
“Great ambiance and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife & I reserved a table for supper in the dining area for a quieter, more intimate time together rather than go into the bar area that was packed and lively with lots of people even early in the evening. The setting and ambiance of the restaurant were great. There were open tables available but we picked a comfortable semi-circular booth that gave us some privacy but also a nice view of the brewing vats and the open kitchen. The area seemed designed to space diners appropriately and keep noise levels to a minimum.

The food presentation was excellent, very attractively and creatively done, from appetizer to main course. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her T-bone steak. I enjoyed my sirloin steak selection less. I found the ends extremely tough and against my better judgement had accepted a medium-well recommendation, which for me resulted in a chewy and rather tasteless meat dish.

I was tempted to try the beer sampler option for drinks, but decided it would be too much. Consequently I went for a medium beer that I found quite delightful.

I'd try this restaurant again, primarily for the atmosphere, but also for another chance to try a steak, this time done to my preferred level of well-done, to see if it tastes as good as the reviews say it should!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“World Class Fine Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I had the opportunity to dine at Brew Bistro during Valentines day as I had asked my partner to join me for dinner. We are new to Nairobi and this place was recommended by colleagues. They were advertising a molecular gastronomy menu, and honestly I was very skeptical on the outcome. One just doesnt find that kind of experience in Africa, so my partner and I were interested to try.

The meal was about 7 courses, and very impressive. There were also vegetarian choices and my partner had a cous cous for a main dish that was outstanding. My personal favorites were the smoked sailfish with a tangerine jellly, and the dessert was very impressive. The Chef himself came to our table with a sheet of glass and began to "paint" the dessert onto the glass with various other items such as small chocolate cones, chocolate "dirt", and a few that escape my mind. The Chef was a jovial chap, and very friendly. He made the experience worth the price by personally doing our dessert. We will certainly go back, and I expect this restaurant to take off quickly.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi
“Great Beer, Great Fries...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Liked the whole concept.. Went on a Saturday evening and it was full, so just barely managed to find seats at the bar. The beer is great... Reminds me of fine German beer.. The chips were great and served in paper cones, all appealing. I give it 4 stars and not 5, because the music was too loud at the bar, which had the only available seats, leaving us with no choice, but to talk at the top of our voice, the whole evening. Still highly recommend the place. Great food, great beer, great music and great atmosphere...

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“Good for evening drinks.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Tip: Go early or make a reservation!

The food is good and the ambiance is great. It gets really packed in the evenings, but all must check it out. Go for happy hour - good value.

MAKE A RESERVATION - especially if you are a big group and want to sit on the balcony.

Visited December 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
“food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

i was there on Sunday, i enjoyed lollipop but the chicken was not fresh,the fish dish with banana leaves was not well cleaned had scales and few bones very disappointed.the ranchero sauce was no way near perfect.perfect rice i got,my wife said was the best meal out of all we had..the mama's meat loaf had no texture no flavor just meat.kifablock sauce was good.mashed potatoes were soggy and tested blue band.next dish was prawn starter with rice pocket not so good ,prawn were very cold for my test plus the vegetables needed atleast an extra marinate not only fish sauce.i had so much expectations for place but for my experience i was disappointed.

• Visited February 2013