“Delicious and Fun” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Leesburg, Virginia
“Delicious and Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

While in Nairobi last week, some friends joined me from South Africa and were looking for a good place to grab some dinner, drinks, and live music. Another local transplant friend had suggested Brew Bistro for their micro-brew, so we grabbed a taxi at the Panafric Hotel and decided to try it out.

I learned later that the menu on the bar side, while limited, is still quite good. We chose, however, to start on the restaurant side. Looking at the menu and the decor, I expected the portions to be small and overpriced... the modern decor reminded me of places in the US where you pay a lot and get a little.

We started with two meters of beer so that we could try out the locally-brewed beers. They were all fine, nothing too spectacular, but my preference is for ambers and sure enough, the amber was my favorite. Should have just ordered one of those, in retrospect.

The menu is extensive and impressive, featuring many exotic options. I narrowed it down to two steak choices (Tournedos a la Ronny, and Tournedos au Lissé Fermier) and asked the waiter for his suggestion. Without hesitation, he suggested the Ronny, so I ordered it medium rare. My dinner companions ordered the Chateaubriand and something chicken.

My meal was superb! The steak was melt-in-your-mouth scrumptious, hands down. I had a taste of the Chateaubriand, which is good, too. My mate thought it was great... until he tasted mine. We all agreed that the Tournedos a la Ronny was the best thing on the table. And the portions were just right, not at all as I skimpy as I'd expected.

We finished our meal and moved over to the bar side where a jazz band was playing that was absolutely phenomenal. I didn't catch their name, but it was a foursome joined by a lady singer with a satin voice. The bar side is very loud so not the best place for conversation, but two more friends joined us and we had a delightful time enjoying the music and shouting to be heard.

Next time I'm in Nairobi, I will definitely make another visit to Brew Bistro. One of the highlights of my trip.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
“Thursday Jazz in Nairobi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Went there on a Thursday night for a couple of drinks with friends. It was pretty full and we got a table close to the band the Jazz was great, the beers were good but the coffee cocktails were quite disappointing, {whipped cream was sour and no Irish in the Irish coffee}

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London,Kenya and all about
“hip and cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Went on a Friday night.Cool music playing around the place.Crowd a mix of ages ,generally hip,posing and trying to look cool.Service for a crowded bar area was very good and attentive.Their own brewed beers were okay not great though we only tried a couple.Had a few other whiskies again,good service and place did not become too crowded.Owner was pointed out,ensuring place ran well which was a good sign.Good night out with a crowd of expats,students,ngo posers and local monied cool kids.Go enjoy and dance rather than get bored posing.We did not try the restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great food and groove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We went there on a Saturday evening. The lounge was grooving with excellent music and loads of people dancing and enjoying a drink. The place was full but we got a place to seat very quickly and the service was fast. After a first drink we went to the next door restaurant and had a wonderful meal. Starters, mains and deserts were excellent. Service, again, wonderful. Highly recommended place

Visited August 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
“Micro Brewery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Quite far away if you live in the Westlands area (solely due to traffic). Make some excellent beers. Happy hour is the time to go as you get two for the price of one!

Visited May 2012