“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Description: Near Victoria furniture/Southern Sun Hotel
Nairobi
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Nairobi restaurants usually deliver excellent food and good value for money - zafferano did not. The setting is nice but the food was bland. We were very confused when ordering off the menu and asked if we were really sure if we wanted that item because most diners that ordered it were disappointed with it. We couldn't help but wonder why it was still on the menu?! With so many excellent spots to eat in Nairobi there is no reason to go back there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

54% Recommend
Nairobi, Kenya
“Good ambience, stale meat”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I had heard of Zafferano before in good light so I convinced my wife last saturday to give it a try. When we walked in the ambience was good though the place was quite empty and it was heading to 7pm. We assumed it would fill up as the evening went so we took a balcony seat to enjoy the Westlands view. The waiter was quite helpful and proposed the chefs special that had been advertised the day before steak and a meat combo -spare ribs, chicken and steak as two meals. That worked with us so we ordered.
Everything collapsed when we took our first bite - ALL the meat had clearly overstayed and was stale. When the waiter came we requested for the manager who with great dexterity walked to the chef and appeared five minutes later to give an explanation - sadly confirming why the meat was stale! He promised to do something about it and that is indeed the last time we saw him!
Overall, good location and ambience but the food is really a disappointment. My wife and I will definitely not be going there again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Kenya
“Nice Decor, Poor Dining experiance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

when you walk in, you think - wowe, this place has potential. then you look around, 6 diners on an evening dinner in a restaurant that can seat more than 60! first sign that things are not looking good. The starters, were not the best - oysters definitely not fresh, and no clue about the accompanying sauces. mains were beyond terrible, the lamb ragu tasted as if cooked from frozen, pasta arriabata - gave my fellow diner the worst stomach upset, it was un eatable, full of chili, the veg pizza was a plethora of raw green/red peppers - which only two slices were eaten. i could go on, but the food - not worth a return.
the waiters seem bored, they are un-attentive and really don’t smile much.
the music is shocking - covers of old classics - done really badly.
they’re are a number of areas they can improve on, in fact, the restaurant below them - is always packed, cant the management just go downstairs and have a look to ask themselves why they are failing so badly!
i remember they used to be an Italian chef - is he still around?

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
mill valley, california
“Great Italian dinner at Zafferano's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I knew I was in the right place when I walked into Zafferano and spotted the manager, an Italian-looking man (I am from Italy and we kinda recognize each other!). Finally, I told myself, some food I can relate to (even though the foods on the safaris were absolutely wonderful and unexpected). I wasn't disappointed at all. True to its menu listing all the most typical Italian dishes, my husband, my daughter and I enjoyed a wonderful meal of pasta(s), local meats and vegetables, topped with a great tiramisu.
The best part is that the meal had been offered by our wonderful agency, Shoor Travel, as an added bonus for our stay.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“Good Evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

If you lack a place to go to, don't mind eating in bit's and your pocket is accomodative, you tongue will certainly enjoy itself, that much I can guarantee.

Visited August 2012