“Most memorable glimpse into harsh realities” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 122 Activities in Nairobi
Type: Walking tours, Sightseeing Tours
“Most memorable glimpse into harsh realities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Alistair and Robert were excellent hosts on our tour through the Kibera slums in Nairobi. My boyfriend and I spent most of our day walking through the slums with Alistair. On our walk, we visited a bead/jewelry factory and an HIV/AIDS orphanage school, both of which offer opportunities for volunteering and donations. Come prepared! If you want to help, ask what supplies you can bring before you go. I wish I had brought more (money & supplies) with me on this tour so that I could have helped more. This is a great way to ensure that donations actually go to the people that need it. It's also an unforgettable opportunity to understand poverty with a more well-rounded perspective. If you have the time, let your guide know that you would like to volunteer and they will set it up. I went on this tour as part of an around-the-world trip that included 12 countries. I have been on 6 continents and have been on countless tours, and I have to say that Explore Kibera was one of the most unforgettable experiences I have ever had. It's hard to believe the extent of poverty in any city without seeing it with your own eyes. What I liked most about the tour is that it was personal - just my boyfriend and I and Alistair. Alistair is knowledgeable, genuine, approachable and committed to improving his community. I especially appreciated that I didn't feel like we were voyeurs - we weren't behind any sort of screen "protecting" us from reality. We were right there in the thick of it, shaking hands with people, chatting with passersby that recognized Alistair and playing with kids walking home from school. We ate lunch with locals at a place Alistair brought us, called a "hotel", which looked like a food tent with picnic tables inside, but don't be fooled. Food and experience were just as authentic, great and memorable as the tour. Dress humbly and wear close-toed shoes. Be prepared for shocking sights and bad smells, but it's all worth it and will surely help you appreciate every thing and opportunity you have. Don't pass this up! Caution: don't get on the wrong matatu (bus) like we did! Follow your guide's instructions for the meeting place. Don't get on a matatu without verifying your guide is there. Matatu drivers are very friendly and wave you onto the bus to get their fill on fare. We were lucky, and ended up getting dropped off near a bank that was able to call Alistair and let him know where we were. Aside from the minor setback, this mistake gave us a little adventure and a good story to tell. In all, Explore Kibera is the perfect company to give you an authentic and memorable experience learning about culture and economics in Nairobi while also offering a chance to give back and improve our global community.

Visited May 2013

Prague, Czech Republic
“Great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We liked this tour and we highly recommend "Explore Kibera Tours" as the tour operator. It was a great experience for all of us. Program was well done. Our tour guide Alistair was excellent! Milan and his friends

Visited October 2013
San Diego, California
“Kigulu Orphanage Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

It wasn't a tour. You're not there to take pictures for Facebook. Kigulu is a place where a few incredible people work together to create a better life for children born into the toughest circumstances one can imagine. I think it is something everyone should experience. It will shift your priorities and perspective on so many issues and hopefully influence you to contribute to the environment in a meaningful way. I'll never forget my time here.

Visited November 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
4 attraction reviews
“An important trip to make”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We undertook a tour with Sande on a Sunday afternoon. The tour took us on a walk through Kibera that included the large markets and a stop at a bone carving collective. At no point did we feel insecure and people seemed happy for us to be there.
Sande is a good guide and pateintly answered our many questions on life in Kibera. He is recommendable.

Visited November 2013
LA
5 attraction reviews
“Really well done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was my second tour through Kibera and I have to say Explore Kibera Tours really has the best grasp on how to do this right. You don't just feel like a voyeur watching people in distress as if they're a show like I did on a different tour. Explore Kibera gets involved with organizations and the people there so there's more purpose behind it. It's an important thing for all westerners to experience and witness. To see this kind of poverty firsthand - there's nothing more important in my book. I bring teams to Kenya almost every year for non-profit work and this will be a stop for us every time. I'm glad we've found Explore Kibera because we'll work with them from now on.

Visited September 2013

Been to Explore Kibera Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Explore Kibera Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.