“Good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Utamaduni Craft Centre

Utamaduni Craft Centre
Bogani East Rd, Nairobi, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)
Website
London, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We had a relaxing lunch here and then visited the craft centre. The food was quite good and fresh. The craft centre has the benefit of 'no haggling'.

Visited June 2014

El Segundo, California
20 attraction reviews
“Had a lovely lunch and enjoyed shopping and browsing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The lunch was perfect...excellent soup. The shopping was nice - no hassel and free to just browse around. Great way to spend 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon. I must admit though, the bees also loved what I was having for lunch, but they were not intrusive, just curious. It is a fixed price but within reason place to shop. If you are not a haggler, this is the place for you. I would visit again.

Visited May 2014
11 attraction reviews
“Utamaduni wasn't on our agenda but glad we went!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I am not a "shopper" and really dislike the street shop hawkers along with the pressure sales people at different curios shops throughout Kenya. However, a surprise shopping experience occurred after our fun visits to the elephant orphanage and giraffe center. We were hungry for lunch and went to a delightful garden spot near Karen to eat. There was the Utamaduni Craft Centre. After lunch, we wanted to "stretch our legs" and went in to Utamaduni. Haven't seen anything quite like it. Right away, I sensed the items here were from top quality craftspeople. It reminded me of the nice little shopping areas around the Santa Fe, New Mexico plaza area. My daughter and I spent a good hour strolling through the little shops. Sales people were friendly and helpful. We bought items to carry home but some things we had shipped back to the U.S. via FEDEX. It is expensive. However, when we got home, it was like "Kenyan Christmas"! Everything was extremely well packed and it was a thrill to open the things we had purchased. Utamaduni wasn't on our agenda but will certainly be the next time we go to one of our favorite countries in the world. My only recommendation is to go to Utamaduni at the end of the trip rather than the beginning. Your Utamaduni shopping experience will be enriched after you experience the many sights you'll have seen. Thanks to all the Utamaduni staff for making our "unexpected visit" a memorable and enjoyable stay.

Visited March 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
255 attraction reviews
“Excellent one stop place for fixed priced souvenirs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The craft center houses many individual rooms, each of which sells something different. Therefore, you can find a lot of variety (statues, masks, toys, jewelry, bath items, kitchenware, clothing, paintings, etc...) in one location. All items are fixed prices so there is no pressure of bargaining, I assume that I still overpaid, but the prices were much lower than what I saw in other stores. They also do A nice job of carefully packing the purchases. I only spent an hour here as my driver was waiting, but the selection is so extensive it can take a few hours to see everything well.

Visited February 2014
Croydon, Surrey
12 attraction reviews
“Great lunch in a lovely garden”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Four of us had a lovely luch here during our stay in Nairobi. We introduced our two friends to this lovely place. My husband and I have already been here before.
The bird life in the garden is as good as ever and the lunch was very appetising.
I would thoroughly recommend this place as a lunch stopover during a tour of Nairobi.

Visited February 2014