“A nice place to find local items at a one stop shop” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Utamaduni Craft Centre

Utamaduni Craft Centre
Bogani East Rd, Nairobi, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 14 Shopping in Nairobi
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
“A nice place to find local items at a one stop shop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I really enjoyed wandering in and out of the rooms. The staff was friendly in helping me gather items, taking them to be wrapped. The price range was from fairly inexpensive to fairly expensive depending on the item. I bought a hand carved wood vase, a piece of pottery and a white stone giraffe and the total came to $60. I thought that was very reasonable for the quality, the fact that they were limited items etc. My family that was with me bought larger items to take home, the ebony african animal statues can be much more expensive, as is some of the jewelry. I wished they had more origial local artwork for sale.

The restraunat food was good, however, I waited about an hour for a tuna melt. I ordered something easy as we didn't have much time there before our flight. We were very annoyed at the slow service and I would not think of eating here again unless I had two hours to kill.

Visited February 2013

Nairobi, Kenya
22 attraction reviews
“Everything under one roof”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

After hearing from my friends about Utamaduni, I paid a visit to the raft center. It is right next to Catholic University in Karen. What make Utamaduni special is you can find all the crafts, textiles, gifts under one roof. They have a nice coffee right next to the centre surrounding by beautiful greenery. Prices are higher than street vendors but they are much more nicely displayed.

Visited January 2013
Visby
“Great restaurant and good place for souvenir shopping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stopped here mostly for lunch and were suprised! The food (we ate vegetarian ravioli) were wonderful, the best we hade on the whole visit.

As the crafts store is very big with several small shops in one place you need a little time if you want to see everything. We were here on our first day of the visit, but a good plan could be to go there the last day when you might know what you need and want to buy.

Visited October 2012
Croydon, Surrey
12 attraction reviews
“A very good place for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Only went there for lunch as recommended by our favourite safari company - WILDLIFE SAFARI of Nairobi.
As the place was full, the four of us had lunch under a lovely sheltered arbour. It was teeming with rain, which made it all the more fun. Very well looked after by rain soaked waiters who continued to smile even though they were drenched bringing us our meals. The food and wine was extremely good and we were not rushed in any way. Thoroughly enjoyable time was had by all. Would recommend it and next time we're in Nairobi, we will have a good look at the shop.

Visited October 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Great place for local gifts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I visited here one afternoon and loved it, alot of gifts to chose from and about 20 different little shops in one place, proces also were some of the best we found. the cafe on site also does a very nice lunch allowng you to recover from the shopping, well worth a visit....

Visited September 2012