“I'd rather stay in a hut...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of YWCA

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
YWCA
You added YWCA to your Saves list
State House Road, Nairobi, Kenya   |
Ranked #77 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
London
“I'd rather stay in a hut...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We walked in without a reservation and told them our budget (KSH 1,000) less than they wanted us to pay so we walked out, however they came after us saying they could give us the room - which we thought might be because they took pity on us. However, from other reviews and the terrible service I think they must be almost empty.

The first room had a refrigerator that didn't work, so we asked for another. instead we got moved to another room that lacked a mosquito net, a toilet seat, had a horribly bare kitchenette and a fridge that turned on - but wouldn't close. We complained to the service lady who said she'd take care of it. half hour later nothing, so I went to the front desk and told the service staff were in a meeting. After 3 hours waiting I scoured the hotel to find a service lady sweeping somewhere else and she responded she would take care of it. However I insisted and with a look of hatred trudged off to pick up a mosquito net. Then she returned with a toilet seat that wasn't the right size and could be attached. She set it on the toilet and walked away. The fridge, she eventually dragged out with horrendous screeching noises along the tiled floors and then returned in the same fashion with another one a few minutes later. The empty kitchenette, I went around the hotel and found a few cups and pans myself from another open room and brought them up.

We had a cold shower the first day, not realizing the switch for the hot water was in the kitchenette. It may be a customary thing in Africa, but we had no idea and of course it wasn't mentioned as we were shown to our room.

They bed sheets looked washed, however they had stains on them...

You need to bring your own toilet paper.

The sink in the bathroom leaked - fortunately they "fixed" it with a rubber bin

It's horribly maintained, by staff that are largely unpleasant and ambivalent to life. It is in a great location and could be soooo much better.

Room Tip: Another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lucknow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

You are going to hate it here.. at least for the first few days. There will be power outage, no water for the shower. But then you will settle down a bit and things will be okay. I have stayed there many times. an okay option if you can't find anything else.. but I am sure there will always be something else.

Carry your own drinking water and may be something for breakfast before you check-in. Rooms have a kitchenette attached to the room.

What i liked:
- View of the park;
- campus is big enough to take a after dinner walk;
- my office was just a 10 minutes walk away
- i like using the kitchenette sometimes
- town is just across the park

What i didn't like:
- not very clean;
- they don't give a second roll toilet paper;
- power outages
- sometimes no water

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor.. lesser mosquitoes. Take the room which faces the park.. better view!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

this hostel is horrible and dirty and even though its close to centre. do not attempt to walk back at night many have been attacked.
a few times when i stayed there were faulty power cuts and OFTEN worst of all NO WATER!!. It would dissapear sporadically . and it was always cold.
because of the above i left the tap on by mistake and when water reyurned therewas flooding they kicked me out. this was shocking because thyey cliam to be christians,and it was their fault. they go through you things so lock up your things. the staff are lazy and rude and beggingfor presents.

Room Tip: arm your self with awater heater, and never ever try to walk back at night
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I have stayed here several times by now, giving the benefit of the doubt because I like the location of the place.
On various occasions, I had items stolen from the room, was cheated on the pricing, was lied to, was placed under duress by the greedy management - they sucked and are totally not reasonable. Even after I signed the contract, they just upped the price - totally corrupt, and then tried to force me to stay threatening me with the Police - ridiculous.
Instead, we stayed at Volker's on Terrace Close - SO much better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to YWCA? Share your experiences!