“Perfect relax in Nairobi to end our Safari” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hogmead

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hogmead
Save Saved
You added Hogmead to your Saves list
Kikenni Road, Nairobi 00509, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #12 of 94 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
New York
“Perfect relax in Nairobi to end our Safari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had the most amazing time at Hogmead, especially after such a long safari throughout Kenya. My husband and I have had the privilege to of been able to travel extensively across the world, and I must say that there is no place like Hogmead.
We were exhausted from the constant on-the-move holiday that just sitting at the Bar, watching the sun set behind the Ngong Hills and enjoying the Warthogs company was pure bliss.
The management and staff were beyond fantastic, always looking after us and making us feel more than at home! What a delight it was being welcomed into such a beautiful and relaxing 'home'. The food was to die for, as if we didn't eat enough during our safari! But we certainly couldn't pass on what they served us.
Hogmead was a great transition back to the 'city life' - but I can tell you that it is far from being a city hotel! It boarders a Giraffe Sanctuary, and the hotel garden is HUGE! You hear lions at night from the National Park not far away, and there are the most amazing species of birds that live in the garden.
Is is a must to stay here in Nairobi, its certainly the best part of the city!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mara room - it is huge! And the view of the Ngong Hills was the cherry on top.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KaraLinck, Manager at Hogmead, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Raina,

Thank you very much for your positive and informative review! We are very glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at Hogmead and that it was a relaxing transition on your journey back home.

We look forward to welcoming you back again, soon we hope!

All the best,

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Absoloutely appauling management. We were planning on getting married at Hogmead on 9th December 2012. The wedding date had been set with Hogmead. Deposit paid and the wedding invites had been sent out... everything was good to go. After numerous meetings with Hogmead to ensure that noise levels will not be an issue Fuzz Dyer sent an email just a month before the wedding to say that the wedding has to be cancelled and Hogmead cannot go ahead with the wedding. Not only did this cause a great level of stress in finding a new venue but just showed the level of poor management of Hogmead and unproffesionalism had to offer as they have not even contacted us since they wrote a brief email to explain they cannot accomodate the wedding anymore.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KaraLinck, Manager at Hogmead, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Mr Shah,

We apologize that we were unable to host your wedding at Hogmead and completely sympathize with you, the cancelation was very late and must have been very stressful and for this we are deeply sorry.

Your reservation was cancelled through unforeseen circumstances completely out of our control. The decision for us to cancel your wedding at Hogmead was extremely difficult and we are all very sorry that we couldn’t host you on your special day.

We do hope that you managed to find an alternative venue, albeit at such short notice, and you had a wonderful wedding in spite of being badly let down by us at Hogmead. We would love to have the opportunity to host you and your wife in the future in one of our properties FOC in order to try and make up for the stress we have caused you.

Please call us, we would love to try and make amends.

The Hogmead Team
warwick,ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This property is an excellent choice for those overnighting in Nairobi. It is set in exquisite grounds has two types of accommodation the main house and stable rooms.. All are very comfortable
They serve dinner and a gorgeous breakfast on the terrace, warthogs come for their breakfast too.

Room Tip: the stable rooms are less expensive
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
KaraLinck, Manager at Hogmead, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear travelwithsara,

Thank you very much for your positive and informative review.

On behalf of the entire Hogmead team, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kindest regards,
Lahaina, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Hogmead is an oasis in The lovely suburb of Karen just outside of the chaos and traffic of Nairobi. We stayed two nights on a safari stopover . We also stayed at Tribe Hotel which is chic and nice but to me there was no comparrison. We also spent a night at Giraffe Manor which is nearby and also nice and really fun interacting with the giraffes, but it is way more expensive and nearly always booked.

When I return to Nairobi Hogmead will be my first choice. Bindi and Fuzz were our wonderful and gracious hosts. They have poured their heart and soul into this place and it shows. I was traveling with two friends and we all had different rooms which were each decorated beautifully . The decor is elegant, tasteful and cozy and the place is filled with incredible painting and sculpture by local artists and Bindi's amazing floral arrangements . We enjoyed sitting by the glowing fireplace on the covered porch and talking story with Bindi and fuzz and other guests in the evenings before enjoying one of their delicious dinners.

Hogmead is also well situated . We visited the Nyumbani Orphanage, the David Sheldrick's
elephant orphanage , the Karen Blixen Museum and a few other places to purchase things from local artisans . The giraffe center borders the property so giraffes came right up to the fence one evening at sunset and the resident pumbas roam the grounds freely along with their playful dog.
I can not thing of a better way to begin or end a stay in Kenya than a stay at Hogmead.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was on a business trip. The location, rooms, service and hospitality are really very good. As a traveller, I enjoy keeping up with the news and I missed having a TV in my room so that I could catch up. I understand the ambience being created, but for those wanting to avoid it, they don't have to switch the TV on. Again, on business, WiFi is very important and it only functioned in my room once, very briefly, over the four nights of my stay. Two small points but very important to me. Those two criticisms aside, there is no doubt that it is a very fine establishment and not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hogmead is located in Karen which is a small suburb of Nairobi and outside of the congestion, pollution and general chaos of traffic. I stayed one night plus had a day room/breakfast/dinner before my return flight to the US and it was great! The overall feel of Hogmead is quiet and peaceful yet you get to meet other guests while enjoying a Tusker in the main area. Since I was visiting the Karen Blixen Museum, the David Sheldrick Trust, and the Giraffe Center all in one day, this was the ideal location. You're also close to a small mall where there's an atm plus a grocery store to buy Kenyan coffee!

My room was superb! The only reason I didn't give this an overall five star rating is that it was located right above the kitchen and since dinner lasts into the 9 pm'ish range, the clanking of pots and noise is a bit loud and makes it hard to get to sleep even if you're extremely tired. The 6:30 am wake up call with the same noise was also a bit intrusive as they start to prepare breakfast but I was also sensitive to noise since I had spent the past two weeks in the bush with nothing more than hippos and lions as noisemakers. The day room that I used before leaving for JK Airport was absolutely fine - it was located in the garden area, not in the main house, but just a couple of mins to walk to. Small, very clean and was perfect for a quick nap and shower.

The pumbas (warthogs) on the property are funny to watch and come pretty close but aren't that friendly that you would feel threatened by any means. Meals were delicous. I had a late evening flight and a short window before I had to leave for the airport so I didn't want to have a three-course meal. Bimbi was very accommodating in providing me a small dinner that wasn't too much or too little.

Overall, staying at Hogmead was a nice way to finish my East Africa trip on a positive note.

Room Tip: It was so convenient and nice to just walk up the stairs to my room without having a long trek as I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at Hogmead twice within a week - as a one night stopover before safari, and a dayroom/lunch&dinner stay at the end of our safari before leaving Nairobi. The only drawback I have is simply due to the fact that we didn't stay an extra couple of nights! We wished we had booked for longer. A beautiful property in a lovely setting, with friendly, charming hosts Fuzz & Bimbi. Meeting other family members and regulars passing through was definitely a positive - everyone willing for a friendly chat and sharing of experiences we found tremendously enjoyable and a very warm welcome. The property is very well appointed, beautifully decorated and full of charm & character. The two rooms we used were spacious and airy, with very comfortable beds, lovely views, and privacy. We dined for breakfast, lunch and dinner, all meals were of excellent quality and either served in the lovely dining room or out on the terrace. The location in terms of relatively quick airport transfers to both the JK International Airport and Wilson was perfect, especially given the traffic chaos which Nairobi is infamous for. And Bimibi and her staff were only too willing to accommodate any request with a smile - we felt right at home, and it was a wonderful beginning and end to our safari holiday. We very much hope to return. Don't hesitate to book, it is a lovely experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hogmead? Share your experiences!