“A Nairobi oasis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hogmead

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hogmead
Save Saved
You added Hogmead to your Saves list
Kikenni Road, Nairobi 00509, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #12 of 94 Specialty lodging in Nairobi
Lahaina, Hawaii
“A Nairobi oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Hogmead is an oasis in The lovely suburb of Karen just outside of the chaos and traffic of Nairobi. We stayed two nights on a safari stopover . We also stayed at Tribe Hotel which is chic and nice but to me there was no comparrison. We also spent a night at Giraffe Manor which is nearby and also nice and really fun interacting with the giraffes, but it is way more expensive and nearly always booked.

When I return to Nairobi Hogmead will be my first choice. Bindi and Fuzz were our wonderful and gracious hosts. They have poured their heart and soul into this place and it shows. I was traveling with two friends and we all had different rooms which were each decorated beautifully . The decor is elegant, tasteful and cozy and the place is filled with incredible painting and sculpture by local artists and Bindi's amazing floral arrangements . We enjoyed sitting by the glowing fireplace on the covered porch and talking story with Bindi and fuzz and other guests in the evenings before enjoying one of their delicious dinners.

Hogmead is also well situated . We visited the Nyumbani Orphanage, the David Sheldrick's
elephant orphanage , the Karen Blixen Museum and a few other places to purchase things from local artisans . The giraffe center borders the property so giraffes came right up to the fence one evening at sunset and the resident pumbas roam the grounds freely along with their playful dog.
I can not thing of a better way to begin or end a stay in Kenya than a stay at Hogmead.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was on a business trip. The location, rooms, service and hospitality are really very good. As a traveller, I enjoy keeping up with the news and I missed having a TV in my room so that I could catch up. I understand the ambience being created, but for those wanting to avoid it, they don't have to switch the TV on. Again, on business, WiFi is very important and it only functioned in my room once, very briefly, over the four nights of my stay. Two small points but very important to me. Those two criticisms aside, there is no doubt that it is a very fine establishment and not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hogmead is located in Karen which is a small suburb of Nairobi and outside of the congestion, pollution and general chaos of traffic. I stayed one night plus had a day room/breakfast/dinner before my return flight to the US and it was great! The overall feel of Hogmead is quiet and peaceful yet you get to meet other guests while enjoying a Tusker in the main area. Since I was visiting the Karen Blixen Museum, the David Sheldrick Trust, and the Giraffe Center all in one day, this was the ideal location. You're also close to a small mall where there's an atm plus a grocery store to buy Kenyan coffee!

My room was superb! The only reason I didn't give this an overall five star rating is that it was located right above the kitchen and since dinner lasts into the 9 pm'ish range, the clanking of pots and noise is a bit loud and makes it hard to get to sleep even if you're extremely tired. The 6:30 am wake up call with the same noise was also a bit intrusive as they start to prepare breakfast but I was also sensitive to noise since I had spent the past two weeks in the bush with nothing more than hippos and lions as noisemakers. The day room that I used before leaving for JK Airport was absolutely fine - it was located in the garden area, not in the main house, but just a couple of mins to walk to. Small, very clean and was perfect for a quick nap and shower.

The pumbas (warthogs) on the property are funny to watch and come pretty close but aren't that friendly that you would feel threatened by any means. Meals were delicous. I had a late evening flight and a short window before I had to leave for the airport so I didn't want to have a three-course meal. Bimbi was very accommodating in providing me a small dinner that wasn't too much or too little.

Overall, staying at Hogmead was a nice way to finish my East Africa trip on a positive note.

Room Tip: It was so convenient and nice to just walk up the stairs to my room without having a long trek as I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at Hogmead twice within a week - as a one night stopover before safari, and a dayroom/lunch&dinner stay at the end of our safari before leaving Nairobi. The only drawback I have is simply due to the fact that we didn't stay an extra couple of nights! We wished we had booked for longer. A beautiful property in a lovely setting, with friendly, charming hosts Fuzz & Bimbi. Meeting other family members and regulars passing through was definitely a positive - everyone willing for a friendly chat and sharing of experiences we found tremendously enjoyable and a very warm welcome. The property is very well appointed, beautifully decorated and full of charm & character. The two rooms we used were spacious and airy, with very comfortable beds, lovely views, and privacy. We dined for breakfast, lunch and dinner, all meals were of excellent quality and either served in the lovely dining room or out on the terrace. The location in terms of relatively quick airport transfers to both the JK International Airport and Wilson was perfect, especially given the traffic chaos which Nairobi is infamous for. And Bimibi and her staff were only too willing to accommodate any request with a smile - we felt right at home, and it was a wonderful beginning and end to our safari holiday. We very much hope to return. Don't hesitate to book, it is a lovely experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

There's no doubt this property has been beautifully built, with attractive public areas, gardens and although I didn't see other rooms, our room on the ground floor was spacious with lots of natural light. However this property would not suit everyone.

There aren't many rooms/guests at this property and when the host have their family and friends there, it feels like you are a stranger in their home. My preference is always to stay at boutique properties that are unique, however this is the first time I have ever felt a property can actually be too small - It felt uncomfortably intimate and awkward. Perhaps it would have been more comfortable if there were more guests than the hosts family and friends. Sorry to share that I was keen to leave the next morning. I will return to Giraffe Manor on my next visit to Nairobi.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
ExperienceKenya, Public Relations Manager at Hogmead, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Hi ForeignShores,

Thank you very much for your comments about Hogmead, and about the luxurious accommodation that we offer.

We realise that being such a small, and niche property, that it won't suit everyone. The feed back that we have received from our guests has been fantastic and everyone feels completely at home at Hogmead, so we are really very sorry to hear that you felt that the atmosphere was awkward. This is most unusual, and your comments are hugely valuable to us. We will look into the dynamics being created on the occasions when family members are in Nairobi and happen to visit us at Hogmead. Your observations have been well noted and we will ensure that our usual atmosphere is maintained. Thank you again for your comments, and if you would like to write to us in more detail, please do – susan@hogmead.com is the best address.

We hope we have the opportunity to host you again at Hogmead.

The Hogmead Team.
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

After a long airplane trip, this place recharges you as a stopover. We only stayed for the nights but was well worth it. Its a must to stay out of the city because the roads are being re built and the traffic jam going to the city is one of the worst I've seen not to mention the pollution! Staying here is a rest one must have before proceeding to the mara safari. One the nicest botique resort I've stayed.

Room Tip: try to get the corner ground room or the second floor. the room near the dining is small.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hungerford, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Hogmead offers the perfect mix of a stunning setting, warm hospitality and comfortable rooms. I slept better at Hogmead than I do at home, no doubt helped by the constant supply of ice cold Tusker Malts that never seemed to stop coming as the sun set over the distant hills. Jay and Venetia manage Hogmead with a real attention to detail, putting guests immediately at ease. Supper each night had more of a family dinner party atmosphere than hotel and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hogmead? Share your experiences!