Nairobi National Park, Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe Center
Mageso Chember, Nairobi 00200, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 43 attractions in Nairobi
Type: National Parks
Attraction Details
Manilla
“Good outing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

There are different sections:
1) 'Safari Walk' as the name says, you walk inside the forest, following the path already made with suspended bridge. Along the way, you can see animals at close distance.
2) 'Animal Orphanage' is a place where you can see the animals kept in the protected fence.
3) 'Vehicles Drive Safari' is the section that you go to the open nature in the savannah with the car. You can see different kind of animals. It is not allowed to go out of the car. It's scaring if you are stuck in the midlle but there is the patrol of park officers.

It's a wonderful safari experience!!

Visited July 2012

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kobe, Japan
8 attraction reviews
“as of may 2013. it is open but under repairment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Garden was good. Guidance also good.
But we do not see inside of the house
It will be full open after next dry season

Visited May 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Wait till refurbishment is completed-end of June 2013(?)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

05 May 2013 Currently the 'Museum' is semi-open during refurbishment. Four weeks ago the guide did show us round the inside of the house, but all the furniture, carpets, pictures, etc, had been carefully wrapped up to protect them. He had a very worn out guide book but told us there would be fresh copies once they reopened. Today I revisited but got there after the house/museum closing time, so I don't know whether they are allowing visitors into the house just now. Staff were replacing furniture so it looks possible that it will be open very soon. Even so the security staff allowed us to view the outside of the house, the original coffee processing machinery and the very hills she described..."I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills", and there they are! Albeit now with six large wind turbines. This is a must see visit for anyone with a real interest in Karen Blixen, whether engendered by the movie or her books or the legend. The place reeks of atmosphere-this is 'hair up the back of the neck' stuff. Now also see her other home at Rungsted Kyst, north of Copenhagen.

Visited May 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went to the national park,which started with the 'safari walk',saw all kinds of animals at close range....very close indeed!lions,leopards,rhinoceros,buffalo,i llama,giraffes,crocodiles,etc
Had a scary experience however when our car got stuck in the mud and we were stranded inside the wild reserve for over two hours...getting dark fast!I knew the wild animals came out to hunt when it got dark so I was petrified!Got on the car horn and started honking like a crazed person,I pressed down on that horn for over 20 mins nonstop till eventually some reserve officers heard the ruckus and came to investigate!Luckily our driver who had gone off to seek help soon returned with other people.
We eventually left there by 6.45 pm,as we were leaving the spot,a big lion suddenly sauntered in front of our car!I tremble to think what would have happened if it had stumbled on us some 20 mins earlier!

Visited April 2013
Huye, Rwanda
12 attraction reviews
“Giraffe Center is AMAZING! Blixen Museum not worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Giraffe Center was one of my favorite stops in Nairobi. Super fun. I recommend going early in the day (when they first open) so it's not crowded, and make sure to bring a camera!

The Blixen Museum is very expensive for what you're seeing-- which is a lot of posters of the "Out of Africa" movie. I went because I had read the book and wanted to experience the place myself. I was disappointed to see how much the museum emphasizes the movie instead of Blixen's real life and her books.

I recommend instead going to the coffee house/restaurant/lodge that is next door, where you can get the same atmosphere and perhaps a sense of what Karen Blixen's life was like, and enjoy some of the coffee made their.

Visited December 2012

Travelers who viewed Nairobi National Park, Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe Center also viewed

Been to Nairobi National Park, Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Nairobi National Park, Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later
Save Saved
You added Nairobi National Park, Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe Center to your Saves list