“Good location and good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eldon Villas Limited

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Eldon Villas Limited
You added Eldon Villas Limited to your Saves list
P.O Box 10870, Nairobi 00400, Kenya   |
Ranked #34 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good location and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed at Eldon Villas for 4 weeks in March 2014 and stayed in one of the 2 bedroom de luxe apartments which was very nice.

The location is very good, walking distance to Junction Mall, restaurants and bars. Worth stepping up in price as there is not a great difference in the room rate for the 2 bedroom de luxe, but try and get one that does not face the main Ngong Road as it can be very noisy, try and get one nearer the courtyard. Also advisable to spend 600 Kenya Shillings in a taxi and go to Prestige Mall as the ATM's are better there, (Junction Mall ATM's are a lottery at the best of times, frequently out of service), but there is a terrific fruit and vegetable market right next to Prestige Mall, so you're serving the local community and the prices and quality are good, much cheaper than Nakumatt.

Municipal power in Nairobi is always an issue however Eldon Villas have a back up generator so I was rarely without power for more than a minute, however they appear to have an issue with their generator as it cuts in even when municipal power is on, so always be aware to unplug any charging devices to lap tops/phones in case of a power surges/spikes.

Overall a good experience, however another note of caution - pay for your accommodation (after paying the initial deposit) there at Eldon Villas by card or cash. If you wire the payment (as I did) their bank converted my local currency payment to US Dollars and you get hit with an underpayment, as I did for some 11,000 Kenya Shillings, essentially the currency exchange profit their bank made on the transaction which left a sour taste in my mouth, so advice is definitely pay for your accommodation at the Eldon Villas office either by cash or credit/debit card.

The office staff are very good and friendly, the cleaner comes every day except Sunday and linen is changed twice a week. There are no laundry facilities in the apartment itself, however downstairs there are washing machines and driers, 400 Kenya Shillings per load, same for drying.

Also advised to check your meter reading when you first enter the accommodation as units are chargeable at 50 Kenya Shillings per unit so you can rack up a sizeable electricity bill without realising it. You can check your own usage at any time as there are meters downstairs which you can check yourself or one of the staff will guide you.

Check the inventory when you arrive with whoever shows you around the apartment on arrival. Everything is counted to the last teaspoon when you leave so make sure the inventory list agrees with what is physically there. I made the mistake of not checking every little thing and when the closing inventory took place just before checking out I had a list of stuff missing, however fair play to Beatrice and Lucy at the front office as they were gracious enough to accept my word that the missing items were not there in the first place.

Of the various apartments I have stayed in Nairobi before, this is the best by far and very good value for money.

Soon they will have a pool bar constructed which will save going into town, although next door there is Brew Bistro if you can stand the crowd and noise levels, another reason to try and get an apartment that doesn't face Ngong Road. The swimming pool although small is pleasant enough but cold as the night temperatures can get low.

Room Tip: Try a room not facing Ngong Road, one of the busiest roads in Nairobi. If your budget extends to it...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have stayed several times at Eldon Villas in Nairobi. I like the place and the staff is kind and helpful. Furthermore, it is close to the Junction for shopping and dining.
I highly recommend Eldon Villas as the place for short and long term stay

Room Tip: Try to avoid a bedroom facing Ngong Rd.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed in Eldon Villas for 6 nights in august 2013. The place i well situated close to Nakumatt, Junction which means you can reach a lot of restaurant with a short walk (just do that during day, no nightwalks are recommended).
The place looks nicer at the website than in the reality but still, its ok. We had a one bedroom apartment but that also include a small guestroom which was a nice suprice. The housegirls clean the apartments every day and thet are also doing the dishes. Washing clothes and ironing are not included. You cant get anything to eat at this hotel but you can use homedelivery from many places.
The road outside is a bit busy, sometimes too loud.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for almost 6 weeks and from the get go we were disappointed. The first apartment we stayed in looked lovely, that was until we settled in. The safe didn't work, the kitchen was NOT fully stocked (as advertised on the website), the faucet in the bathroom did not work, the internet was embarrassingly slow (for this day and age, even in Kenya!), the television stations were choppy (even dstv) and the electric kettle I'm the kitchen leaked (massive health and safety hazard)!
I also enjoy cooking and when I realized that the 2 bedroom apartments had ovens (the one bedroom apartments do not) we promptly asked to get moved to a 2 bedroom apartment with the hopes that we would get luckier the second time round, but no such luck. The safe in apartment 2 did not work either and neither did any of the outlets in the kitchen, dining room, or bedrooms. The outlets were fixed promptly but nothing was done about the safe. In our fourth week staying at Eldon Villas the glass light shade in the bathroom fell from the ceiling and onto my boyfriend's shoulder (lucky it didn't hit his head). This was also around the time we realized someone meddled with the front door because it didn't latch anymore, therefore the door had to be locked or it would slide open. We would have left in the first week but we didn't want to lose our deposit.
The only thing this establishment has going for it is its location.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Right along Ngong rd with Junction mall less than ten minutes walk away, Brew lounge bar is next door. You don't need to go to city center, you got it all here. Can also take public buses right at the gate. Clean rooms, friendly staff but their prices are becoming uncompetitive. With places like Meltonia offering more fancy rooms for a fraction of the price both along Ngong rd? I don't think I would stay here again unless they competitively price them. Beatrice at front desk is an awesome lady.

• Stayed December 2012
Ipswich, Suffolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were accommodated at Eldon Villas for a conference held next door at Piedmont Plaza. I was in B3, a standard 2 bed apartment.

The accommodation is basic and decoration is OK, comments about the showers being in close proximity to the toilet are correct, but there is a shower curtain, and a sill in the shower. I never had the problems people were mentioning if I pulled the shower curtain when showering!

Towels were only changed every 2-3 days, but if I asked our room steward he changed them for me.

The TV is pretty basic, but every apartment has its own WiFi access point - if yours doesn't work try the good old 'switch it off and on again' trick.

The apartments are just a 5 minute walk from Nakumat Junction and I felt pretty safe walking there by myself during the day - a bit dusty but it was fine. The security is good, and the staff were friendly and accommodating.

Unfortunately I got stuck in Nairobi as I was due to fly out when the airport caught fire, and they were kind enough to allow me to extend my stay for three days until I was able to fly home.

There is also a swimming pool which looked very nice, but it was too cold for me to be swimming (in August!) and it was raining quite a bit!

The price was pretty good compared to accommodating two of us in a hotel in central Nairobi, and to be honest we didn't have any complaints about the apartment. The kitchen facilities are basic but serviceable, we got things like loo paper and washing up liquid from Nakumat - if you just need a base in Nairobi which doesn't cost the earth, is safe and has good internet connectivity this will do.

Our room steward was really outstanding, very friendly (as were all the staff) and helpful - lots of local knowledge as well. The hotel has a single taxi but they can call taxis from Nakumat.

Room Tip: Ask for accommodation towards the back, away from Ngong road - I'd imagine those rooms get quite...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was in ELDON VILLAS for 3 months and i know very well what all guest will meet there. First big problem is that in all bathrooms never will be possible make one shower with one good temperature of water....or super cold or super hot....... The kitchen is very unconfortable for prepare food and the quality of cabinet is very cheap.....Every days many bulbs are burned and if you ask to replace is very hard that them will make in short time.Whats is very bad is that the right of guest dont is important like the right of them.....You pay for all services but you dont will receive all services that them promised to you.......Is one big stress every day and need to have big patience for stay there..........

Room Tip: better choise other place
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Eldon Villas Limited? Share your experiences!