“Average” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Eldon Villas Limited

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Eldon Villas Limited
You added Eldon Villas Limited to your Saves list
P.O Box 10870, Nairobi 00400, Kenya   |
Ranked #33 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Nairobi
New York City, New York
“Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here from May 26th to June 14th of 2013. I will start by saying that finding apartments in Nairobi is quite difficult. Not sure if there's a shortage of serviced apartments available or what the issue is exactly, but after a long and ardous search, we decided to settle for Eldon.

Initially, after lots of email communications, they told me no two bedrooms were available (only the penthouse was available, which was on the 6th floor with no elevator access). After I told them I couldn't do the penthouse, a two bedroom "miraculously" became available and I decided to take it for the same price that they used for a one bedroom ($100 dollars a night).

For $100 dollars per night, they were several things they could do better and I'll list them here:

1) Bathrooms are non-functional (small, toilet is too close to the shower & the water spills all over the floor and onto the toilet seat when you turn on the shower. Plus, the toilet seat cover kept falling over when I tried to put it up; wouldn't stay up) - I doubt they used an architect or interior designer when building the apartment , which is very common in Kenya in an effort to save costs, but it leads to these sloppy issues like poor workmanship and finishings.

2) Window frames look old and the windows don't close shut completely (a problem if you're staying there during mosquito season)

3) Filthy furniture (made the mistake of lifting up one of the chairs and couldn't believe it (they need to shampoo the chairs of just throw out the old one's and replace them with cleaner, newer ones, really)

4) No cable television (for $100 dollars a night they should provide that)

5) They only provide toilet paper for your first night after that, you need to supply your own toilet paper, soap, etc

6) No washing machines or dryers if you want to do your own laundry (the workers there will have to do your laundry by hand and the laundry are was right outside my room so every morning at 6 am I'd hear them when they were back there doing their laundry and I'd inevitably be woken up)

7) Towels are sporadically provided and they were dingy (I"d bring my own if I were you)

The good?

1) The internet is fast and reliable

2) They have a generator so the frequent Nairobi power black outs won't be felt

3) Water must be from a borehole (although I still wouldn't drink from the tap, but at least you'll be able to wake up and take a shower every morning..although when I turned on the sink in the kitchen, a funny, sewage smell would emerge. Don't know what that was about)

4) Location - It's close to the Junction mall (a 5 minute walk) where you can find cafe's, restaurants, supermarkets, etc) and since Ngong road is a very busy place, it's safe to walk to the junction even at 9pm)

Conclusion? International standards are tough to find in Nairobi it seems; Would I stay here again? No, but to find a decent place in Nairobi start looking long before you plan to get there and if possible, get a hotel room for a few days and go and physically check out these places before you sign up for them. That will give you a much more realistic picture of what to expect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Eldon Villas is situated on the busy Ngong road next to junction shopping mall,a 2 minute walk,here you can get everything you need for your stay from Nakumatt Junction,plenty of cash machines,(use the mpesa machine as it doesn't keep your card),bars/restaurants/cinema/play area for the kids/beauty salons/chemists and the shoeshine man who will repair your shoes too !
Lots of taxis and buses/matatus leave from junction so transport should not be a problem.There is also a taxi service at Eldon Villas but we never used it so I cannot comment on cost.We took a 2 bedroom deluxe apartment overlooking the entrance.These apartments are very spacious with a living area and kitchen area combined plus balcony space and a rear balcony area for washing and bins.Both bedrooms,which are large, have their own big en-suite batrooms with bath/shower and toilet. Internet is available if a little slow. Our housekeeper was Joyce Njeri and I cannot praise her enough for the way she looked after us, she was a very kind and funny person who cleared up after us and kept the apartment clean and tidy,she insisted I stop washing up as I was on holiday ! A pool is available but it is quite cold,once your body adjusts its not too bad. Shareen and Beatrice,in the office, will look after you very well,if you require anything,say some specific kitchen utensil not in the flat a call would bring it to you quickly. Similarly any minor problem was addressed quickly.Security was also good,after 7pm a guard would take you to the shopping mall if you asked and some of our guests were not allowed in until they had confirmed it with us. The only downside is the road is forever noisy,it didn't bother us since its all part of Nairobis vibrancy but if you want peace and quiet don't go to Nairobi !!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Great location, walkable to junction where you can eat & shop to your heart's content. Staff were really friendly & helpful and the apartment itself was really spacious & kept super clean. We stayed for 3 weeks and would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is a convenient facility on Ngong Road and it is close to the Junction and Prestige Malls. We got a two bedroom apartment, which had a functional kitchen. The bathroom was extremely small so you have to be strategic when showering so as not to flood the bathroom. Another problem we faced was the lack of mosquito nets, and despite using the odorless repellent there were still mosquitoes around. I would not want to stay there during the hot season - December/January.

Other than that we had a pleasant stay. The staff are very friendly and helpful. If you are staying in Nairobi for more that three nights, renting an apartment is very cost-effective.

Room Tip: Try and get an apartment that does not face the main road - too much noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I always stay at Eldon Villas on my out of Kenya from work. Great place to relax and unwind. Right next to Junction Mall - literally 150m. So easy to stock the fridge. Eldon is clean, safe and comfortable. Easy to use washing / drying facilities and a good gym if you feel like it. Brew Bistro is 50m away and is a great place for food / drinks. There are other places in the area, but I always choose Eldon because Shareen and her staff are so nice and they just make everything easy.
Craig

Room Tip: The apartments on the back side are really nice, and a lot quieter than the front block as its right...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My Kenyan wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in May 2012. We booked it after a lot of research online and based on the website photos it looked smart, clean and upmarket. We were in Nairobi to visit family and we asked whether we could invite a small no of guests for a poolside dinner, but were refused permission by the management 'because they had never done this sort of thing before'. The 2 bedroom unit we had was very average, and certainly did not reflect the photos on website. Our gas cooker barely worked, the cutlery and crockery supplied was so sparse we even had to buy our own tin opener. We were charged 700kes for 1 broken tumbler (they sell the whole set for that in the Nakumatt) Our electricity bill was ridiculously high for 4 days. The location proved a bad mistake too. It took literally hours to get anywhere because of nightmarish traffic jams on Ngong Rd, we almost missed our plane when leaving. All in all, a big disappointment.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ELDON1, Manager at Eldon Villas Limited, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Hello,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review for us on trip advisor. It is disappointing to read about your experience but we do appreciate the sincerity and take the comments stated as a way to better improve our facilities.

With regard to the Gazebo and Swimming Pool area, we invite our guest to use those facilities since they have been put in place in order to be enjoyed. Last year, we had two couples re-new their vows in our Gazebo area. One of our guests had over 15 guests, we assisted them in setting up the area as well as offered them one of our staff to cater to their needs. We have also had guests carry out barbeques as well as pool parties by the swimming pool area. We have only requested to be alerted ahead of time so we may know how to ensure that every guest may have a chance to enjoy the recreational area. The pool area is closed at 6pm every evening to ensure that it is well cleaned and ready for use by 8 am. They may have denied the use of the pool area due to the closing times. We are opening a pool bar soon, where we will offer drinks and play live music to allow our clients to use the facility during evening hours.

We would appreciate it if you let us know what sort of pictures you would like to see on the website or if they were just not enough to offer you a clear picture of our standard apartments. We do appreciate and encourage guests to take a look at the apartments or send someone who may take a look at them on their behalf. You may not have had this at your disposal at the time, which we would understand.

Eldon Villas used to offer additional utensils in the office for rental reasons but we have increased the utensils in our kitchens and included items such as: wine openers, steak knives, brandy as well as champagne glasses, extra serving dishes, etc.

Our location is a hit or miss for our clients. For some clients, our location is deemed very beneficial due to its proximity to Karen, Nairobi Business Park, Yaya Centre, CBD, the Junction Mall, the Brew Bistro and Lounge, and many others. Ngong Road allows our clients access to a majority of locations within Nairobi. For others, it may be seen as taxing due to its heavy usage especially in the morning and afternoon hours.

I hope I have responded well to the concerns stated, if you do have any additional concerns we do appreciate please do not hesitate to contact me on info@eldonvillas.com. I would be more that happy to assist you.

Regards,
Shareen
Waldkirch
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was staying at Eldon villas for a week......the place is very clean the location is perfect.Staff are very nice and they do their work with passion.........the only thing i didnt like was the bathrooms ,
are very small,water flood allover the toilets,i found myself wondering how anybody is supposed to shower......the other thing is electric bill we payed almost 5000Ksh.......we only used the water heater in the evening.....that was a a rip off!we also had to pay extra for cartoon channel....another rip off,we had to pay 3% extra for paying with visa card.......the whole thing was money,money,money......i dint like it and am not going back there again......hotel would be cheaper by far

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quiter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Eldon Villas Limited? Share your experiences!