“No atmosfere at all” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 315 restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: TASTE PRESTIGE AWARD 2011 - BEST NEW COMER OF THE YEARA UNIQUE WINE BAR CONCEPT COMPROMISING OF A WINE SHOP, A TASTING ROOM AS WELL AS A WINE BAR AND LOUNGE OFFERING OVER 300 REFERENCES WINES FROM AROUND THE WORLD STARTING FROM JUST KSH 800 ($10), OVER 30 MALT WHISKIES AND MANY OTHER INTERNATIONAL SPIRITS.BITINGS AND DELICATESSEN TO COMPLEMENT YOUR DRINKS AND OVER 80 WINES AND CHAMPAGNES BY THE GLASS STARTING FROM JUST KSH 350 ($4). WIZARDS, THE TASTING ROOM ACCOMMODATES COMFORTABLY UP TO 16 PEOPLE FOR PRIVATE EVENTS OR CONFERENCE
Makati, Philippines
“No atmosfere at all”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have been in WWW twice only. First time invited by a friend and today alone.
Today I choosed three different wines from the list before getting the answer: we have it! You do not expect this from that place indeed.
Menu for vegetarians is terribly poor.
Tables are too close each other and people seating close to you intefere with your privacy. Not their fault! Today I got four quite noisy clients from Lebanon (I guess..) so not the perfect place to stay if you want quite time.
You can easily pay 7/8 USD for a glass of wine that comes from a bottle with no cork!!! Are they kidding?
They call themselves THE WINE EXPERTS. Don't try to ask the waiter anything about wine.
Last point, the atmosphere is terrible. Wine goes with quite places, with a touch of old, with a warm atmosphere, WWW is the opposite.. you feel you are sitting in the wrong place!
Several friends told me that that place used to be good.
Internet connection was great....

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
philippecauviere, Owner at WWW Shop and Bar Ltd - The Wine Expert in East Africa, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Marco,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I have noted that we were not able to meet your expectation as a number of our wines were out of stock and we are currently revising our Wine by the Glass menu.

I have noted your remark that the bottle came with no cork. As you have noticed we offer 80 wines by the glass and once bottles are opened these are vacuumed to preserve the quality of the wine. We are not able to open a new bottle every time someones ask for a glass of wine, though I can guarantee you that Le Verre de Vin system, which we are using, is one of the most performant system to preserve wines once open.

I will contact you personally to discuss your experience further.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

80% Recommend
  • Polish first
Nairobi, Kenya
“Interesting place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Nice to find somewhere in Nairobi with a varied wine list. Service is excellent and staff had good knowledge of the wines. Menu is small but what I had was decent. Lacks atmosphere but I guess that is what you get from being in the middle of a shopping mall. Menus look like they are due a reprint also.
Was also happily surprised to see an open explanation of the differential in the pricing between the wine in the shop and the restaurant . Don’t think I have ever seen this before.
Worth a look if you are at Junction Mall

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear GastoNinja,

Thank you for choosing WWW Shop and Bar for a relaxing time and I am happy to see that you have enjoyed your experience.

Looking forward to seeing you soon again

Nairobi, Kenya
“Good service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Variety of blends.This includes the side bitings that come with beer and wine.I would recommend one to try.

Visited February 2013
Brian, Many thanks for passing by WWW Shop and Bar and glad to see that you have enjoyed our service. Looking froward to see you again soon.

DUBAI
“Used to be good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

It used to be good even if the venue is in a mall, but since the owner is not showing up everything goes sideways...the wine menu is not updated the cheeses are facing chain of cold problem. Won t go back

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
philippecauviere, Owner at WWW Shop and Bar Ltd - The Wine Expert in East Africa, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Frenchbizztraveler,

Thanks for visiting again WWW Shop and Bar while you were in Nairobi.

I have noted your concern concerning the wine list and the cheese.

Concerning the wine list, the main wine list has been updated last week and we care currently working on our wine by the glass selection as we had a lot of changes recently. I understand that this is not ideal especially when you are ordering a wine and it is not available, though having such a large selection means that at times we are not fully up to date.

Concerning cheeses and cold cuts, I can only agree with you that our current selection is not our normal standard, this is due to delays in importation from our main supplier. I have spoken to him this morning and have been assured that all should be back to normal next week.

I thank you once again for your support and your constructive comments and looks forward to well come you back on your next trip.

Nairobi
“Difficult - Food poisoning during my last visit.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I generally enjoy the Wine Bar for wine, whiskey, champagne food and drink pairings. I have really enjoyed the whiskey tastings in the past. Unfortunately, I was horribly ill after the recent champagne food and drink pairing.

I relayed the same feedback to the restaurant, with no response.

Visited February 2013
philippecauviere, Owner at WWW Shop and Bar Ltd - The Wine Expert in East Africa, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Lisa,

First of all, I would like to thank you for attending our Champagne tasting on 8th February though I was sad and concerned to hear that you were unwell following this event.

Following our conversation, I have received your email regarding this issue for the first time on 27th February. It seems that we had an issue with our main email address.

As mentioned, we had 16 people during that event. Food for these event is freshly prepared and cooked as a single batch, therefore if there was any issues, it would have affected most or all attendees. The food is also served at one go therefore once again reducing risks.

Following your comments, Miriam, Outlet Manager, and myself have contacted most of the attendees , and so far none have reported any discomfort following our tasting on 8th February.

At WWW shop and Bar, we pay great attention to our process as well as storage and selection of product and in over 20 months of operation never had any complains of food poisoning.

As you also probably know, we all tend to focus on the last meal when such issues arise, though one need to remember that the cause of such discomfort can be traced up to 72 hours before the last meal. It is also of the utmost importance that such incident are immediately reported to the restaurant or food outlet so that we can take immediate action to check and review any food which might have been involved. In your case, the tasting being on 8th February and the information only reaching us on the 27th makes it extremely difficult to do any further investigation or eventually any food tests.

I have sent you a personal note to your email address regarding this incident.

I thank you once again for contacting us regarding this issue, though in this case, I highly doubt that the food served on the champagne tasting on 8th February could have been the cause of your discomfort.

Looking forward to welcome you again in the near future.