“Visiting Alan's fabulous home was an experience of a lifetime.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of African Heritage House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
African Heritage House
You added African Heritage House to your Saves list
Mombasa Road | Box 17871, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #2 of 163 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“Visiting Alan's fabulous home was an experience of a lifetime.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012 via mobile

On our last day in Africa, we found ourselves with a few hours layover before our flight to London. My sister and brother in law had the pleasure of spending a couple of nights at African Heritage House and suggested that we have dinner there. What a beautiful and interesting evening we had. Meeting Alan is quite an experience and we so enjoyed having dinner with him. We started out with iced tea by the restful and beautiful swimming pool surrounded by interesting African artwork. We took a tour of the house and it is amazing and filled with priceless treasures. Dinner was served on the third floor with an unbelievable view of the sunset. Dinner was delicious and he even had a birthday cake and candles to celebrate my birthday. If you have the chance to visit with Alan at his beautiful home, you should definitely do it. The guest rooms will transport you to another plateau with their antiques and unique furnishings. He has some beautiful jewelry, fabrics, books, etc. for sale, but does not take credit cards. So, I would suggest you bring some cash, so you can go shopping. His home is very close to Jomo Kenyatta airport and Alan will even send a driver to pick you up. Can Hardly wait for my next visit with Alan at his lovely home.

• Stayed January 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

The African Heritage House (AHH) is Frommer's #1 Tourist Attraction! It's been featured in numerous architectural magazines and fashion shoots. This unique and special place is a revered landmark in Nairobi! Living in South Africa, my Kenyan friends tell me so! It's open for tours and lunch, but why not stay? AHH has so much to see that you definitely can't see it all in one tour! I have stayed twice-- with my sister in October 2011 and originally in October 2010 after a business trip and on our way to the gorgeous beaches south of Mombasa. AHH is so conveniently located to the Airport in this very busy city that it was great not to deal with the added traffic of coming from the City, but was close enough to go into the city when we wanted.

All of the suites at AHH are also unique in decor and design. They're very comfortable and all rooms but one have views out to the Nairobi National Park (that room, however, is huge!). I slept very soundly, but my sister very excitedly could hear lions roaring in the Park at night! You can definitely be transported back to the days of Karen Blixen's OUT OF AFRICA! (Her plantation is a neighbor.) Alan Donovan, owner and host, tells how the annual wildebeast migration would pass right in front of his house! Nowadays too many fences have diverted this amazing phenomenon, but he has photos for you to imagine it! Meals served on the terraces overlooking the Athi Plains and Park are a real treat.

Alan is another reason to go to the African Heritage House. He's a local legend. He's lived in Nairobi for 40 years and made a name for himself there and internationally. He's written his life story in a fascinating book, MY JOURNEY THROUGH AFRICAN HERITAGE. Alan is welcoming, accommodating, interesting and extremely knowledgable about all the incredible arts and crafts of Africa. His home is a testament to his love for this heritage, elevating even the everyday functional item to artform in this amazingly distinctive place!

Don't be dissuaded to visit because it's noted to be the #1 tourist attraction; it's not overrun with visitors and it doesn't interfere with your own visit. We had one couple come while we stayed there-- the Kenyan Chief Supreme Court Justice and his wife. Even the locals know what a treasure the AHH is! If internationally acclaimed guests such as Teri Hatcher (Desperate Housewives) and Roland Joffe (Killing Fields director) among others, are any indication, you're in good company here! I'd defnitely recommend this as your best and most extraordinary choice in Nairobi.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Karlsruhe, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

If you are flush with money, this is an amazing place to stay. Alan Donovan has been one of the foremost collectors, promoters and sellers of African art and crafts over the past 40 years. His incredible house is like a museum, full of superb African sculptures, textiles, paintings, clothes, furniture, masks, etc etc. And as a guest, you get to wander, eat, and sleep in the house/museum, looking out over the Athi Plains and Nairobi National Park (Not sure why TripAdvisor has the address as Central Island National Park). Alan himself shows you around the house, and usually eats with you.

It is not cheap, but it is worth it if you love African architecture, crafts, and art.

Room Tip: They are all amazing
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

African Heritage House is more than accomodations- it's an experience. Not only are the rooms spacious and comfortable, the view over Nairobi National Park is second to none.

My sister and I stayed here for 5 days, 4 nights. Alan had a driver pick us up and take us back to the airport which was only a short distance away. We had a hot dinner ready for us when we got there, and every need anticipated for us in advance (beds turned down with netting in place, bottled water in our rooms).

My room was the Lamu suite which has a veranda overlooking Nairobi National Park. The bed was comfortable and I had a private bath with a beautiful stone tub and shower. At night I could hear lions in the park (amazing!) and by day I could see zebras and giraffes grazing a short distance away.

There's a beautiful pool house and pool for relaxing by, and we enjoyed a glass of wine there one afternoon. Getting into Nairobi proper is a bit difficult, as traffic in Nairobi is horrific, but again, Alan arranged for a driver to take us into town. Besides going to Nairobi National Park, we visited the Karen Blixen House and grounds, the animal orphange at Daphne Sheldricks, the giraffe manor, and the Murumbi Gallery for some Kenyan history, all a short distance away.

But most amazing of all is the collection of African artifacts that Alan has collected here. Carved gourds, bakuba cloth, jewelry, African buffalo shields with lion tails, beaded aprons, and all sorts of historical carvings, headdresses and such. Mr Donovan is interesting, knowledgeable, and unforgettable.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor, and I could hear lions in the park at night. My sister was on the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We met w/ Alan for lunch (fabulous) and a tour of the property (eveyr room amazing) prior to flying out - and regret not staying at his place during our layovers in Nairobi. I recommend stopping for at least and meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) and tour. Oh how I wish I could have spent a day at that pool, drinking cocktails and enjoying the view.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to African Heritage House? Share your experiences!