“BEST VALUE FOR MONEY” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Strand Hotel to your Saves list
The Strand Hotel
The Strand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gandhi Avenue | Nairobi West, Nairobi 00300, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Ranked #87 of 101 hotels in Nairobi
Porto, Portugal
“BEST VALUE FOR MONEY”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I happen to have stayed at The Strand Hotel in Nairobi 3 times on different times. The first I booked through airport taxi people and yes I arrived at the HOTEL and I was given my room I felt I had been overcharged. I came down and spoke with the receptionist and I they changed my room at NO EXTRA charge. And I got a bigger room with balcony overlooking the parking. My next visit I booked directly with them and from that day its been all a smooth ride. I have paid $110 through the airport people. But directly with hotel I have been paying $60 and all I can say is I am very happy to know I have a home away from my home. The staff is very kind and go out of their way to make things smooth for you. I have travelled to many countries and myself being a doctor I know you can get very bad experiences but honestly in my opinion The strand Hotel is not one of them.

I would recommend this Hotel to anyone going to Nairobi. The trick is book directly with them. They have a WEBSITE. Don't use the taxi people at the airport. They are also in business and will HAVE to put their mark up and make the price you are paying be ridiculously high.

Room Tip: The rooms on the eastern side like Room 218 which I have stayed are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Make sure you get the rate in writing on arrival because this can change! you might have to pay more on departure! Beware do not use any of the travel or tour agents at the airport, they will "negotiate" a "good" price for you, but all that will happen is you will pay a unnecessary commission fee!

Something as basic as a coca-cola is not always available in the restaurant! Not many choices on menu. Never order chicken, change of the chicken being "off" is good !

if you can, avoid this hotel!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I got stranded at the Strand "hotel" in search for a place near Nairobi airport to rest all day in between two flights. I specifically asked for a quiet room, and was assigned one that faces an apartment building where just a few meters away children were playing and screaming all day. Wifi didn't work for most of the time. The faucet in the bathroom didn't work and water was only available by operating the main faucet underneath the sink. The door was difficult to lock. There was only cold water in the shower. Toilet paper is of the kind that you need to fold 5 times before you can use it. The room is so small it just accommodates the bed; no space for luggage, or to sit and work with a computer. This is a shabby place, run down, and obviously operated to prey on unsuspecting guests that are referred to this "hotel" by an airport agency. I complained repeatedly on the various shortcomings of the room, but the only reaction of the receptionist was a silly smirk. The hotel manager was unavailable. Lunch at the hotel's restaurant was very poor, but there are no reasonable restaurants in the rather this squalid neighbourhood. The price for one night is 100 USD. In most developing countries, a place like this would cost hardly more than 15-20 USD. Avoid this hotel by al means!

Room Tip: Don't go there!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Burnaby, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I thought I was saving money but it wasn't even worth the $100. Maybe $50 tops. Rationed toilet paper, no shampoo, the mosquito net had a giant space so we were eaten alive. Noisy, & not so great restaurant. My door lock was impossible to work. The front desk arranged a taxi who cost us a fortune and when we prearranged a ride to the airport with hotel staff, the driver had taken off to lake Nakuru??? The front desk lady was not helpful at all and could care less that they did not provide a promised ride!

Room Tip: don't choose one at all
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

What can I say! Rooms tiny and dirty. Did not even get undressed and attempt to get into bed, for $100 US dollars for a single room for one night I find staggering!!! Staff are friendly enough and try their best. Did not feel safe in this hotel. Area is not the best so no escape!!

• Stayed September 2013
Pistoia, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our Tanzania safari operator, Naturebeauties, send us to this hotel to spend our first nigth of the tour from Kenia to Tanzania
The hotel is in a squalid quarter of Nairobi. The room was quite small and the bath orrible!
The worst, is that we slept in Strand Hotel for only one night, but we were charged three nights. When we tried to pay with my credit card (twice) they told us the card didn't run. We trusted them, and payed with my boyfriend's one. At the end we realised we were charged 3 night (1 on my my credit card, and 2 on my boyfriend's one), with no chance to have our money back (we wrote the hotel and Naturebeauties several time, but with no answer).
So, stay away from Strand Hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 weeks. We had 2 laptops and an iPad stolen from our locked room in the 30 minutes we took to have breakfast.

The restaurant never had half the meals on the menu, they would lie to us and tell us that they defiantly had the item today, then take 15 minutes to come back and tell us they did not. We were the only ones in the restaurant.

The showers are terrible and rarely hot, and there is big enough pressure to flush the toilets properly, so you are regularly having to use the plunger! There are also a lot of Mosquitos, and you find yourself captive in your mosquito net at night! There are about 4 channels, football and !3 other local ones and all this for an inflated price!!!

The area feels really sketchy, it is dirty on the Street and there are a lot of loud meatbars.

This is the only place I have been in the world where you don't want to carry your valuables on the street, and can't trust the hotel, not in the safe and sure as hell not the rooms. Where does that leave you!!

We have moved hotels, wiped the slate clean and are going to give Nairobi another go.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to The Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!