“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Toronto, Canada
69 attraction reviews
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Words cannot express how I felt when I went into this wonderful place, these beads are hand made, hand painted, and the result is beautiful, they are up to perfection when completed, we had a great tour of the place, Mary Maraga was so great with us , the people there are so happy.
Each piece brought from Kazuri helps to contribute to single woman and the welfare of their families. I brought so many it was well worth it.

Visited October 2013

Kirkwood, Missouri
26 attraction reviews
“Fascinating place....beautiful jewelry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

"Small and beautiful" aptly describes the Kazuri beads and the women who make them. I was fascinated by both the painstaking process of making the beads and the women themselves. This factory teaches women (mostly single mothers) a skill to help them support their children. We were able to speak and interact with them during the tour. Each bead is handmade, handpainted, fired and strung. I love my flat-bead necklace, as I can feel the finger imprint of the women who made each bead. I disagree with an earlier post that the prices in the shop are hefty. They are significantly less than the same product here in the States. I went online to shop for more and the price for one necklace is more than I paid in Kenya for 2 necklaces, 2 bracelets and a pair of earrings. At the factory shop, I wanted my necklace shortened and they cheerfully handled that for me at no additional cost. I definitely recommend a trip to this attraction. In fact, I would go again.

Visited July 2013
Sydney, Australia
42 attraction reviews
“I wish I had bought more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Kazuri Every Bead Has a Story .Kazuri which means "small and beautiful" in Swahilili began in 1975 as a tiny workshop.Each piece is handmade and painted.
It evolved from a need for the women to support their families and have social interaction
I attended the shop on a Sunday so was unable to see the actual process of making the jewellery but that does not detract from the amazing colours and designs of the jewellery on display for purchase.
I personally did not find the items expensive in that in my home country I would pay far more for the item.
It was very hard to decide what to buy and at the same time I am so disappointed that I did not buy more.
For crafty people who like to make their own you can purchase the beads.
You will not be disappointed by visiting this outlet and if tired of shopping stop under the tree have a tea and let the mischievous monkeys entertain you.

Visited September 2013
Kirkland, Washington
16 attraction reviews
“Interesting tour, with gouging prices for products”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

A visit to Kazuri Beads is quite interesting, watching the women work to make the products, and then seeing the process they go through to put the jewelry and other artifacts through to completion was nicely organized for a tour. Their mission seems to be really great too. Upon completion of the tour, you are directed to the gift shop, where you will pay a hefty sum for these products. While it's nice to support the local economy, it was surprising how high the prices were for these products.

Instead of visiting Kazuri, I'd make a trip to Kitengela glass studio instead. It's a funny little place with very interesting things scattered throughout several acres of land, in the middle of no-where, and with great prices for pieces. While it's not ceramic, it's a fun place to visit.

Visited October 2013
“More than just a factory--A place of survival”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I have visited Kazuri Beads numerous times, while we lived there and many times since, when we go back to visit. We take friends from the US with us, and they, without exception are "blown away" with what is being accomplished there. It is a workplace for women in need of employment because of their situations in life, and gives hope for them and their families--a means of survival. And for the women, it is a place where they not only work, but where they proudly create the most beautiful beads in the world. It is truly a place where visitors are not only educated but inspired as well.

Visited June 2013