“Excellent Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kahama Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Kahama Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Kahama Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Murang'a Road | P.O. Box 33003, Nairobi 00600, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Special Offer
PAY UP FRONT
Ranked #20 of 156 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“Excellent Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Kahama is pretty decent hotel. I stayed there for 3 nights and they make sure everything is clean and tidy and also they provide u with mosquito net which is pretty helpful. The staff is very polite and kind, I pretty much recommend this place to anyone who is planning to stay in nairobi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Kahama is truly a special place. My husband and I stayed there in August and we could not have been happier with our experience at the guesthouse. The staff were very friendly, attentive and flexible. The rooms were clean and pleasant and the food was reasonably priced and tasty - even the complimentary breakfast was good, which is a real rarity in travellers' guesthouses. At first, we were put off by the fact the guesthouse is right next to a busy main road, but you really don't notice it when you're on the inside. An oasis of peace in downtown Nairobi, highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We truly enjoyed our stay at Kahama while we were in Nairobi. The low cost of the hotel does not reflect the quality. Their staff was very attentive and worked to meet our every need. The room was a good size, it was clean and the bed was comfortable. It was a great room to relax/sleep-in and watch some TV. The price included breakfast, which was more than ample, and there was free wi-fi in the lobby. There was also a bar/restaurant which served reasonably priced ice cold Tuskers (amongst other beers). We did have dinner there one night and it was good and fairly priced. The driver (Josephat) that they sent to pick us up at the airport was very helpful and his prices were reasonable (especially after we heard the prices some of the chain hotels were charging). The only downside is that they are not right in the city center, but it is about a half of a mile walk and the National History Museum is also a half miles walk away. My husband and I walked to both the museum and the city center and, other than some hairy traffic crossings, we had no problems.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hidden behind an uninspiring facade, this hotel and it's staff were a real find, great value for money. Clean and inexpensive rooms, free Wi-Fi, a decent breakfast included, and all with a smile. We stayed here on two separate occasions and I'd happily stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at Kahama for 4 nights and thought it was an excellent option for the price. I didn't find the location a problem, but I wasn't really comfortable being out by myself after dark anywhere in Nairobi so I took the hotel taxi (which was always available and an affordable option) if I was going anywhere at night. I even took the taxi for a spur of the moment day trip to Hell's Gate National Park - super easy to organize and well priced. The rooms are super cute and the food in the restaurant was really tasty. I ate there for dinner almost every night in Nairobi and the days I didn't, the food wasn't as nice at the other restaurants. The wifi worked great for me in the lobby and restaurant, not so much in the rooms but I think the wifi is only advertised as available in common spaces.

My flight to Nairobi was delayed delayed delayed and the hotel still sent someone to pick me up 14hours late at 3 in the morning. The rooms are super cute and spacious. I'd definitely stay here again if I'm ever back in Nairobi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here for one night in July and i can really recommend it. The rooms are very nice, you get free wifi access (with high speed) and the staff are very friendly! If you go to nairobi and want to stay at a rather unexpansive but great place - then you should go to kahama! A final note: the breakfast is great!

/Andreas, Sweden

• Stayed July 2013
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The pluses: warm staff, ample amenities. The minuses: cockroaches, wifi didn't work, TV didn't work, one hour wait for food in the hotel restaurant, and there was only enough hot water for one of us to take a shower. Maybe we were feeling needier than usual as we had just come off a 24-hr train ride from Mombasa (!!!) and were looking forward to some creature comforts. These are not dealbreakers but I had read such a glowing review in Lonely Planet that I was surprised. The location is a little hectic but after all this is Nairobi.

Room Tip: There's only one family room and it's at the back, which is where you want to be - front is...