“Superb place in Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kahama Hotel Nairobi

You added Kahama Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Kahama Hotel Nairobi
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Murang'a Road | P.O. Box 33003, Nairobi 00600, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Announcement
34 YEARS ANNIVERSARY
Ranked #16 of 182 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“Superb place in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here for one night in July and i can really recommend it. The rooms are very nice, you get free wifi access (with high speed) and the staff are very friendly! If you go to nairobi and want to stay at a rather unexpansive but great place - then you should go to kahama! A final note: the breakfast is great!

/Andreas, Sweden

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The pluses: warm staff, ample amenities. The minuses: cockroaches, wifi didn't work, TV didn't work, one hour wait for food in the hotel restaurant, and there was only enough hot water for one of us to take a shower. Maybe we were feeling needier than usual as we had just come off a 24-hr train ride from Mombasa (!!!) and were looking forward to some creature comforts. These are not dealbreakers but I had read such a glowing review in Lonely Planet that I was surprised. The location is a little hectic but after all this is Nairobi.

Room Tip: There's only one family room and it's at the back, which is where you want to be - front is...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip through East Africa and it's fantastic!

The staff are so lovely, and the hotel is very modern, with perfectly Western standards. It was easily the most expensive place we stayed in, but Nairobi is expensive, and it was well worth the extra money. It felt very secure and safe, in such a scary city. Doors are locked and accessed with swipe keys and there's a restaurant and bar downstairs so you don't even have to leave! Free wifi and 24 hour reception is provided. The hotel taxi drivers were very helpful too. I've heard that some rooms at the front of the building can be a bit noisy, so ask for one at the back, away from the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, away from the road, otherwise it can be a little noisy.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The location was definitely the biggest drawback. With the tangle of highways all around (and Nairobi's reputation for crime), we didn't feel comfortable striking out on our own. But the resident taxi drivers were great -- friendly and reasonably priced. And the hotel had lots more going for it. The wifi was good, the breakfasts were good. The staff was incredibly responsive. Our only other complaint was that service in the restaurant, where we ate dinner twice, was extremely slow. Still for the price, this is a good deal.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly. My bed was comfortable. The mosquito net was in good condition and it didn't drape over my bed awkwardly like the ones at some other hotels I've been to. I got some laundry done while I was there. It wasn't expensive and my clothes came back clean. The free breakfast was great! It was a buffet that had a combination of English breakfast and local foods. I ate supper at the restaurant a few times and enjoyed it. The free wifi isn't incredibly fast, but it works (it's the best in the lobby, but I could sometimes pick up a signal in my room). It's within walking distance of the main business district. To go to places that were farther away, my friends and I hired taxi drivers provided by the hotel. They were friendly and knowledgeable, and they had reasonable prices. If I go back to Nairobi, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights: 6th & 7th June. I was with my boyfriend.
The location is not safe at all. They gave us a room that was facing the highway, it was so noisy that we could not sleep. I had to call the reception in the middle of the night to ask them if I could change the room.They refused, so I told them that if I was to sleep in the same room the following night I would have gone to another hotel although I had already paid for both nights. The following morning I went straight to reception and reminded them what I said over the phone. They changed the room, the second one was better , but still a bit noisy. I would not recommend this hotel, unless they give you a room facing the garden and not the highway.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights, really lovely staff, nice room, very good room service and all for £25 per night !!. Taxi's from the door and easy enough to walk into the CBD. One tiny glitch - they offer a comprehensive laundry service except for underpants which they won't wash ! I will certainly stay there again if my travels take me to Nairobi again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo