“Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kahama Hotel Nairobi

Save Saved
You added Kahama Hotel Nairobi to your Saves list
Kahama Hotel Nairobi
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Murang'a Road | P.O. Box 33003, Nairobi 00600, Kenya (Nairobi Central Business District)   |
Special Offer
PAY UP FRONT
Ranked #20 of 156 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Edmonton, Canada
“Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly. My bed was comfortable. The mosquito net was in good condition and it didn't drape over my bed awkwardly like the ones at some other hotels I've been to. I got some laundry done while I was there. It wasn't expensive and my clothes came back clean. The free breakfast was great! It was a buffet that had a combination of English breakfast and local foods. I ate supper at the restaurant a few times and enjoyed it. The free wifi isn't incredibly fast, but it works (it's the best in the lobby, but I could sometimes pick up a signal in my room). It's within walking distance of the main business district. To go to places that were farther away, my friends and I hired taxi drivers provided by the hotel. They were friendly and knowledgeable, and they had reasonable prices. If I go back to Nairobi, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights: 6th & 7th June. I was with my boyfriend.
The location is not safe at all. They gave us a room that was facing the highway, it was so noisy that we could not sleep. I had to call the reception in the middle of the night to ask them if I could change the room.They refused, so I told them that if I was to sleep in the same room the following night I would have gone to another hotel although I had already paid for both nights. The following morning I went straight to reception and reminded them what I said over the phone. They changed the room, the second one was better , but still a bit noisy. I would not recommend this hotel, unless they give you a room facing the garden and not the highway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights, really lovely staff, nice room, very good room service and all for £25 per night !!. Taxi's from the door and easy enough to walk into the CBD. One tiny glitch - they offer a comprehensive laundry service except for underpants which they won't wash ! I will certainly stay there again if my travels take me to Nairobi again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Affordable luxury. Great customer service, quiet, and yet less than a ten minute walk to the heart of Nairobi's business district. This was not only the best place I stayed in Nairobi, but the best place for the price that I stayed in four months of travel in West, East, and Southern Africa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Kisumu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

For mid-range budget travelers, this a great hotel. I had just flew in to Kenya for the first time and was really looking forward to a clean room, a comfortable atmosphere, and a good night sleep. Kahama delivered! In addition, they picked me up from the airport, the front desk offers helpful advice, and they have free internet (however, the WFI was not working; you can't expect it all). The breakfast included is an excellent buffet and the restaurant has a large selection of foods. I also appreciated the mosquito net drapes around the bed. Oh yeah, and they replied to my e-mails instantly!

Perhaps the only draw back is the location; while only a short walk outside the downtown, it can be a little hectic with hawkers, highway traffic, and the possibility of getting lost. If you are not the adventurous type, there are taxis right at the hotel.

Overall, a great recommendation by Lonely Planet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from the highway.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed in a superior king size room and it was very comfortable and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. I also liked the restaurant, which, among other things, served traditional nyama choma. I agree with the other reviewer that a room safe would be nice, though I was still able to leave valuables with the staff. Overall, Kahama Hotel is a great place to stay in Nairobi for an affordable price.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Kahama is a warm and elegant place in the heart of chaotic Nairobi, a place where time seems to stand still. We've been travelling throughout Kenya low budget and were used to very poor accomodation. We chose the Kahama for our final stay in Kenya and were overwhelmed by the contrast. Everything is luxury, very clean and extremely service-oriented! Definately not the cheapest hotel, but the cost and benefit is absolutely balanced. An oasis of calm!
Also room service and the hotel bar and restaurant is great, elegant african style!
Thanks Kahama!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Kahama Hotel Nairobi? Share your experiences!