“Old School Luxury” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rolf's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rolf's Place
Save Saved
You added Rolf's Place to your Saves list
Maasai Lodge Road, Nairobi 24380, Kenya   |
Ranked #51 of 156 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Nairobi
“Old School Luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Our Favourite retreat just outside Nairobi, in close proximity to the National Park, and a spectacular view of it. A bit pricy, but room 1 is definitely worth every penny, and also the food is marvellous.

Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room 1 is the best
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Rolf's Place is unique. The staff provide a caring and personalised service which just adds to the magnificent location and the boutique nature of this wonderful place. After busy working days in the heart of Narobi, this is a sanctuary to return to overlooking the National Park. Rolf is an accomplished chef and evenings can be spent hanging over a gorge on his charming terrace eating from an a la carte menu which caters for many tastes and reflects Rolf's diverse culinary skills. This place is a true gem and reflects the passions of its owner and staff for genuine hospitality on a human scale.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed here 2 weeks and the staff were wonderful. very friendly and waiting on your every wish. the food is also very good. much of the produce is grown on the property - the milk, eggs, fish, and vegetables are all freshly picked on site. The accommodation has lots of character and luxurious. And the great thing I loved is the quietness in the morning to hear the birds. You can hear hyenas and lions at night. I Couldn't believe we could stay on the edge of a national park so close to Nairobi. I have no hesitation recommending Rolf's Place for meals and accomodation.

Room Tip: choose the corner rooms at the end of the corridor with balconies
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011 via mobile

Rolf's place is definitely a place worth visiting a couple of my friends and i went there over the weekend for paintballing and we had the time of our lives. The view is out of this world, the shooting was lots of fun and for the food, those who went for ala carte menu enjoyed finger licking meals and the rest had the best nyama choma in this town at a sitting by the pool. The waiters were very friendly and the service was great.
Thanks Rolf, sarah and the team...that was a true adventure"

• Stayed August 2011
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I visited Nairobi to catch up with friends and had a midweek break at Rolf's Place so I could visit the local National Park and other sites. I have lived and worked in Africa before and so I have to express I was hit by waves of nostalgia on my arrival at the Hotel. Essentially the lodge is Rolf's home which has been opened to the public in recent years as a boutique hotel which means that there are unique features to enjoy. There has been considerable investment particularly the footbridge and the outdoor verander witwhich has spectacular views across the gorge.

All of the rooms are bespoke with ensuites. The living and dining rooms are real havens to relax in and you can watch the internal whirrings of how the family and staff support the activities around the hotel.

I ate outside each morning and night and received a highly personlised service from the waiter Anthony and had all my meals cooked by Rolf. Even though there was a big corporate event going on, I was served on time and the cuisine really lovely. I particularly enjoyed the Zanzibar fish and coconut soup and the Chicken Kiev. The menu is eclectic and I look forward the recipe book which Rolf is planning to write. I have already booked my table for when I make a return visit in December.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Rolf is a character, and so is Rolf's Place. The food is tasty, the housing beautiful and interesting, a true out of Africa experience. Rolf made it a point to be personable, also sent us with 2 slices of his cheese cake - very delicious and very sweet of him.

Will remember this once in a lifetime experience, and definitely recommend it to other's.
Sarah

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We didn't stay at the hotel, just went for lunch one Sunday afternoon. They were obviously overwhelmed with a large corporate group of around 20 - 30 delegates, which meant we got the brunt of their service - hopefully it's better on a quieter afternoon but If you have space for that many people, you should be able to handle it. The chicken Kiev's were good, the lasagne wasn't - looked and tasted pretty bad. Would pop in for a beer if I was in the area (the drawbridge is enticing), wouldn't go out of my way to come here though.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Rolf's Place? Share your experiences!