“Terrific scenery,tantalising food and paintballing.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rolf's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Rolf's Place
Maasai Lodge Road, Nairobi 24380, Kenya   |
Ranked #49 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
“Terrific scenery,tantalising food and paintballing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011 via mobile

Rolf's place is definitely a place worth visiting a couple of my friends and i went there over the weekend for paintballing and we had the time of our lives. The view is out of this world, the shooting was lots of fun and for the food, those who went for ala carte menu enjoyed finger licking meals and the rest had the best nyama choma in this town at a sitting by the pool. The waiters were very friendly and the service was great.
Thanks Rolf, sarah and the team...that was a true adventure"

• Stayed August 2011

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I visited Nairobi to catch up with friends and had a midweek break at Rolf's Place so I could visit the local National Park and other sites. I have lived and worked in Africa before and so I have to express I was hit by waves of nostalgia on my arrival at the Hotel. Essentially the lodge is Rolf's home which has been opened to the public in recent years as a boutique hotel which means that there are unique features to enjoy. There has been considerable investment particularly the footbridge and the outdoor verander witwhich has spectacular views across the gorge.

All of the rooms are bespoke with ensuites. The living and dining rooms are real havens to relax in and you can watch the internal whirrings of how the family and staff support the activities around the hotel.

I ate outside each morning and night and received a highly personlised service from the waiter Anthony and had all my meals cooked by Rolf. Even though there was a big corporate event going on, I was served on time and the cuisine really lovely. I particularly enjoyed the Zanzibar fish and coconut soup and the Chicken Kiev. The menu is eclectic and I look forward the recipe book which Rolf is planning to write. I have already booked my table for when I make a return visit in December.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Rolf is a character, and so is Rolf's Place. The food is tasty, the housing beautiful and interesting, a true out of Africa experience. Rolf made it a point to be personable, also sent us with 2 slices of his cheese cake - very delicious and very sweet of him.

Will remember this once in a lifetime experience, and definitely recommend it to other's.
Sarah

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We didn't stay at the hotel, just went for lunch one Sunday afternoon. They were obviously overwhelmed with a large corporate group of around 20 - 30 delegates, which meant we got the brunt of their service - hopefully it's better on a quieter afternoon but If you have space for that many people, you should be able to handle it. The chicken Kiev's were good, the lasagne wasn't - looked and tasted pretty bad. Would pop in for a beer if I was in the area (the drawbridge is enticing), wouldn't go out of my way to come here though.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Deal, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stayed here as a stop over with family and 6 year old child.
Rooms below average, and for the price should have been alot better - not particularly clean, duvet without duvet cover (yuk), and mouse droppings in bathroom....

Breakfast was Ok, but after reading a few other reviews about the hotel and the owners responses, I would have expected someone with such vast knowledge and experience of catering to serve food on clean plates and not have it crawling in flies.

Low point of the trip was arriving and being encouraged to stroke the dog - which then growled and bit my 6 year old brother (but that was fine because afterwards we were informed that the dog doesn't always like children...utter stupidity)

Found the owner to be abrupt and a little rude.

Very average hotel - the only good point was the rope bridge which is beautiful.
Would not return

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Zanzibar, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

I understood that Nairobi was a very unsafe place, especially for white female solo travellers. And it was my first time in Africa… I am very glad I found Rolf's Place hotel in Nairobi. They are located in Karen Langata, on the edge of Nairobi National Park. They sent a driver to pick me up and I managed to avoid the city completely for 3 days. It was wonderful. The building is stunning, it was originally built as a home for the German owner and his Kenyan wife and it's very Out of Africa with a stunning decor of antique skins and artefacts and an ostrich egg lamp. The view over Nairobi National Park is great - the hotel is only separated from it by a river in a deep gorge, with an Indiana Jones bridge and a Maasai warrior guard. The food is fabulous (Rolf has an extensive and interesting catering background), service is good (although slightly erratic and disorganised sometimes, but good for African standards), it’s clean, rooms are stunning. Most sights I was interested in are very close by (Karen Blixen museum, the giraffe center, the elephant center, the main gate and zoo of Nairobi National Park, the famous Carnivore restaurant, the Bomas village). Shopping is quite adequate in Karen too. Never needed the city once, I’m glad to say. The hotel offers wifi and activities such as game drives in Nairobi National Park, polo lessons, fabulous swimming pool. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Rolf's Place? Share your experiences!