“Nice property - Customer Service Challenges” 3 of 5 stars

Comfort Gardens Guest House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   UN Cresent Road plot no 34, Nairobi 00621, Kenya   |
Ranked #42 of 154 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Nice property - Customer Service Challenges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed only one night at this small hotel while in transit from Ethiopia to the Masai Mara for a safari. The hotel is reasonably priced for Nairobi which is not a cheap city. The location was great in that it was located outside of the traffic-clogged downtown area. It is walking distance to the US Embassy if that is something you need - but more importantly, it's located very close to the Village Market shopping area - a cool outdoor shopping area with great shops and restaurants. Oh, and there's a movie theater there as well.

The room was quite basic but nice enough. There is mosquito netting but no window screens. We did get some bites...TV didn't really work well but that wasn't really important to us. The bathrooms are very basic. Though not immaculate, it was clean enough for our purposes. Though the property has a nice pool area, we didn't swim but we did read by the pool in what is a very nice oasis in the busy and somewhat dusty city. The morning breakfast was very nice - if you don't have to leave prior to 6:30-6:45am. We did. Our safari company recommended this hotel but the breakfast wasn't going to be ready in time...so they prepared us sandwiches the night before.

The big negative was the customer service. Only the manager seemed to know anything or be able to do anything. When we arrived, we wanted to make change so we could tip our driver. The front desk staff claimed not to have any change. The manager solved the problem for us. This was a surprise trip for me (from Ethiopia) so I didn't have the correct electrical adapter. The front desk told me that "most guests just go buy one" and that she couldn't help me. We called the manager and he appeared with an adapter." The other issue that is was an enduring frustration is that they provide one bottle of drinking water per day per guest...and claim to have no other source of clean water other than for purchase.

So, it wasn't ideal and it wasn't the best place we've stayed in Kenya but did suit our needs.

Room Tip: It does get loud and there's constant construction. Take a look at the room and make your own d...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Comfort G, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Gardens Guest House, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Hallo our esteemed guest.
I take this opportunity to thank you for giving your views about us.It was our pleasure hosting you and looking forward to do it again.
Am really sorry for not being able to meet some of your needs and please note that we bought plenty of adapters and now you can get one form the front desk thanks to you.
In general thank you for your stay with us and your honesty,you are always welcome to comfort gardens any time any day.Have a good day.

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel Guest House with my Family last year the end of June and end of July beginning August.I give all the staff Thumbs up and hope that they are being looked after well.Good workers must be respected for all what they deliver for there continuing motivation and morale.Sharing a slice of cake on the table for all builds honesty and trust.Even as a kenyan I was treated equaly the same as our foreign visitors.The quick chemistry between the staff and guests was incredible.The location is all what you need.Eric,Patrick,Rose,and Francis and the other many names I have missed made this property more a Family Run buisiness oriented.Breakfast was delicious,Rooms clean,The beddings and the curtains we had requested was delivered accordingly.My recomendation would be a small Gym and Wellnes area If you have a little bit space.I also did not see a small business center room with a printer,We kept on bothering you people at the reception checking our emails.The main Gate Guards takes abit too long to open the Gates for clients coming in in the evening.May be you can create a process where by calling before you reach the Gates,This Guest House is on the same class like all Marriots Guest Inns and apartments in the US.I would highly recommend It to travellers who want to move away from the noisy Central District and concerned with Security matters in general.Keep good work by constant renovation and keeping your staff since many clients get used to them thus building of trust.Make alist of old clients and update us by email on new developments and ammenities.Thanks for now and hope to visit you soon.

Room Tip: The Family probably needs a room with a kichennete. The Balcony Rooms are very spacious
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Omondi,
Hope you are well.Thank you for sparing your time and sharing your views about us.It has always been our privilege to have you at our establishment and am glad we always meet your expectations. We will surprise you soon when you find a gym and other fitness facilities .For the security matters we can advice you to call the reception when you are almost there and the reception will inform the security guard so as to avoid taking alot of time at the gate.
Again thank you for choosing comfort Gardens as your second home.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here on business in April 2013 and to be honest as much as Liked the place I hated it to.

Good points:
friendly people/staff
swimming and a relaxing atmosphere
24 hours coffee/tea

Bad points:
Break fast continental not too great
No kettle in the room
No Air con in the room
Hot/Cold water a struggle
Menu for veterinarians NIL.

+point Village Market is a two minute walk and a great location for food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
To our esteemed guest,
Hope you are fairing on well.It is nice hearing from you and thank you for taking your time and share your thoughts.We will continue doing what we do best and improve to our level best on our weak areas so as when you come back next time you feel our improvement and hope you will feel the comfort.Thank you for pointing out what needs to be installed and improved in the rooms.
Have a nice one
Bogota, Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

It's amazing how a nice and relatively comfortable stay can turn have a nasty turn in just a minute by one of the staff at the reception... The house is quite nice, the breakfasts are good, but the room we got had very poor ventilation and no light AT ALL, so wasnt really a place for a nice sleep or rest. Besides, the cleaning is also very mediocre and they even didnt locked the door after cleaning, when I came it as unlocked! you need to turn on the water heater several hours in advance just to see that only 1 person is lucky enough to get the warm water. Staff is all the time very confused, is very disorganized but the worst part... they completely misinformed us on the rates, the last day they were clearly trying to get advantage and one of the guys was very rude implying that I was aiming at 'not paying' the bill ... he even grabbed my arm violently! so NO, DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE.

Room Tip: Find another place to go
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for over a week. There is a very pleasant atmosphere and excellents service. As a guest you feel at home here. Staff takes care of you with an eye for detail. I can certainly recommend the place for people working for the UN or just outside Nairobi. Will for sure return!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

No other name could be more fitting than what it is popularly known, “Comfort Gardens”.

Comfort Gardens is a Guest House/B&B in Gigiri in Nairobi, Kenya which is quite literally a garden of lovely flowers, varieties of plants and trees, birds of different kinds, complete with ponds, small waterfalls, and a swimming pool. It is also a garden of friendship and camaderie particularly coming from its graciously accommodating staff offering every guest a great feeling of comfort (as I experienced, observed and heard guests saying). I have come to know Patrick, Eric, Alex, Maggie, Mercy, Josephine, David, Assige (the Chef), Eggrey (the Janitor) and even the drivers, cleaners and guards. The owner is known to be Charles. And they call me Henry. Services are as personalized as the way they call you.

Aside from its lush garden, what initially impressed me was the high standard of sanitation and cleanliness in the room and in the surroundings. Upon check in, I was warmly requested by Rose, it’s cordial Manager, to wait awhile as the cleaners were disinfecting my room and doing a general cleaning. I was like. “Wow!”. My room was spacious with fresh white bed sheets and two more layers of blankets for the cold nights. The shower room was spotless with fresh towels changed every two days. Not bad. There were two small pieces of soap but where is the shampoo??? Good I brought my own. My first night and the rest of my sleeps were restful and quiet. I wake up in the mornings with a cacophony of birds singing their early melodies.

Breakfast everyday was particularly satisfying with a variety of international and African chows to choose from. Eggs are freshly cooked and bread are toasted to your liking as you wait. I love the cooked African bananas, tubers and other African delicacies served differently every day. The loud voices of Rose and Maggie as they converse could be a bit annoying as they compete with the chirping of the birds and as you quietly take your breakfast in front of the greens. But that too is part and parcel of a “homey scenario”, isn’t it?

The living room has a huge landscape painting of Mt. Kilimanjaro with a big screen TV open 24/7. Slouch or curl up in the soft sofa and nobody would stop you. A mini bar is available by the pool for those who love to unwind in the evening with a local beer or mixed drinks while watching the news, music video or a movie in a big projection screen. On weekends, the tables in the gazebos are occupied by guests, many of whom are UN consultants, expats and embassy officers with their laptop computers and coffee cups. I like gazing at the pool thinking while I type my reports away.

Comfort Gardens is closely adjacent to the Village Market and a comfortable distance from the UN Compound (UNON). A hotel car takes me to the UN, where I work with UNICEF Kenya Country Office for a short term consultancy, for free every morning. The way back to the Gardens is a nice lazy walk in the cool afternoon. Lunch and dinner are prepared by a trained chef, Mr. Assige, who can satisfy any foreign culinary taste.

I am checking out tomorrow for an official safari in two counties (safari generically means “travel” and not the holiday trip one might think). I will definitely look forward to coming back on Friday after 5 days of tiring “safari” for a nice hot shower, a good night sleep and a glorious breakfast. All these comforts, home atmosphere, and all sorts of amenities one finds in a hotel cost me a reasonable amount based on Nairobi standards.

Room Tip: The room I had by the end of the car park was quiet. Not sure about the other rooms though.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed at Comfort Gardens with a large group of work colleagues while we were attending a meeting at the United Nations nearby. Everyone at the hotel was very pleasant and helpful. My room was spacious and clean. The internet connection was a little intermittent there but I could easily go to the lobby and pick up a stronger signal. There was a good selection at the breakfast buffet, including eggs made to order. I would have enjoyed some freshly brewed coffee (especially in Kenya, a country known for its coffee!), but the instant style they offered was also the norm in many of the other establishments I visited in Kenya. There is a pool that I would really have liked to take a dip in, had I not been so busy with work, and some comfy areas around it where you can sit and have a drink and talk with friends. There is nice landscaping, and I enjoyed watching some pretty birds visit flowers in the morning while eating my breakfast outside. I once ate there for dinner and the spaghetti dish I had was quite tasty. The location is a very short walk to the Village Market, and a bit of a longer one (but still only about 15-20 minutes) to the United Nations. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Unfortunately there is a car park next door to the hotel, and on two of the nights I was there a car...
Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Gardens Guest House? Share your experiences!