“Dinner disappointing; breakfast nice” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #96 of 419 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Provides a fresh modern environment with influences from the great history of the past. A lively and vibrant ambiance, all week throughout the weekend. Impeccable warm service and authentic Pan-African food as well as all time classics from all over the world, creatively presented. We bring our guests an experience to remember.
Washington, D.C.
“Dinner disappointing; breakfast nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The pros: we enjoyed two breakfast mornings on the terrace which were quite good. Omelets made on the spot (and waffles - good, heart shaped, but way too thin), really nice selection of fresh fruit; baked goods so-so, consistent with what we found elsewhere in Kenya - a bit dry, heavy; nice breakfast curry option and poached eggs. BUT why include iced donuts at a nice breakfast buffet?? I don't get it. a little of IHOP at The Norfolk?

As always, the staff is extremely friendly and genuine, if not sharp.

Cons: The dinner was overall disappointing. The service was, again, friendly and I guess well-intentioned but was not great. We didn't get water served (despite several requests) until we got our entrees. Towards the end of the evening when we were trying to either get desert and after drinks OR the bill, we couldn't get anyone's attention for about 20-25 minutes, we opted for the BILL and they lost out on 10 deserts and drinks. e were tired of waiting. The food items were hit and miss: the fish and chips pretty good and appropriately crispy; the panko battered prawns looked promising upon arrival but was too heavy handed with the panko, chewy and the shrimp had no taste. They were large but had clearly been frozen. We were quite excited about the Kitengela chicken dhania. It was ok, not great but the accompanying "coconut rice" was just a cup of bland rice shaped with no taste. Calamari again just ok - and from frozen. Several friends had the steaks and said they were good and well-prepared according to order. We enjoyed some reasonably priced white and red South African wines.

On the positive side, they have clearly labeled dishes for those with gluten free, vegan and other diets, and its Lifestyle Cuisine Plus.

I realize it is not Tatu, its upscale sister, but we expected a tad more.

Now to the atmosphere. It's a shame it is so loud on the Terrace right now - this was a Sunday evening and the construction across the street at 8 PM (on University of Nairobi building i think) on a Sunday was so loud. It definitely detracted from the experience, but that is not the Norfolk's fault (interestingly, it was quieter on a Monday morning at 9 AM than on Sunday evening).

But the folks at the Terrace and the Norfolk are extremely nice and ernest. I'll still go back when in Nairobi next and hope for more hits. From the menu choices, I think it is trying hard to offer nice quality options, but the execution is the question.

• Visited July 2013

Nairobi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

There has been a great improvement in service. I did have a group of 10 clients and there were very happy with the Service at The Lord Delamere Terrace. The food was very good. The rooms have been improved a lot. My room was fantastic and my clients were very happy with everything except the Mini Bar Control system. It is very disappointing when you are given a bill that is not yours especially when you do not drink alcohol and they decide to claim that you you drunk a beer. I would expect a faster registration on President's Club. All in all a very good stay. The reception check in was very good . They check you in with beautiful smiles. The porters a very welcoming and always friendly. They do a very god job. The menu at Lord Delamere Terrace has improved greatly. It gives everybody something to eat. I had absent for 9 months but coming back I was impressed with Menu. It even had Gluten Free choices. A very health CONSCIOUS MENU. I HOPE IT WILL NOT CHANGE SOON BECAUSE IT GIVES A CHANCE TO EVERYBODY TO ENJOY WHAT ONE WANTS. The Private Taxis drivers should behave better. They should have a better system of soliciting clients. This should be looked into seriously and soon.

• 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank NairobiTony
New York
“Menu prices contain "mistakes"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I brought two friends to Lord Delamere Terrace this week. They were very excited to try the lava chocolate cake, which we were surprised to see priced at only 500 shillings. But when we received the bill, we saw that we had been charged 800 shillings for the item. A quick review showed that only two of our three menus had listed the price as 500 shillings. (An appetizer price was similarly misprinted in two of the three menus.)

When we brought this to the attention of the hostess, she knew exactly what we were talking about. In fact, she pulled out one of the menus stacked on her table and pointed right at the "incorrect" prices. It seems that many of their menus contain price "mistakes". This, of course, had no bearing on how we were actually charged. We were not offered a new bill at the price printed on our menus, nor were we offered a credit or gesture of any kind for having been misled.

Needless to say, this seems less like a mistake than a deliberate attempt to swindle customers. I can't imagine why; they're already exorbitantly priced, and their chichi expat clientele would almost certainly be happy to pay the additional cost.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Nairobi, Kenya
“Nice is Key”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Here you feel like they know what they are doing. Probably its because of the time they have been around, may be I am wrong, but all in all its a lovely place to have a meal and endulge

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Waryblue
Miami, FL
“Best fish and chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The restaurant is very nice. Despite being on a busy street, strategic placement of bushes and flowers make it quiet and pleasant, and somehow they make everything smell faintly of lemongrass, while the street 10 feet away smells... distinctly less nice.

I had the best fish and chips of my life here. They were not traditional - the fish was fried in fritters - but the batter was light and flavorful and the fish was lovely. Definitely recommended.

My main complaint is the cost. I spent 35 USD for fish and chips and a Tusker. Mostly I found this annoying because most everywhere else in Nairobi, menu prices include taxes, but here they were added, along with a service charge. Worthwhile for a rare treat, but not an everyday experience.

• Visited July 2012