“Great improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Continental
Nairobi
“Great improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

There has been a great improvement in service. I did have a group of 10 clients and there were very happy with the Service at The Lord Delamere Terrace. The food was very good. The rooms have been improved a lot. My room was fantastic and my clients were very happy with everything except the Mini Bar Control system. It is very disappointing when you are given a bill that is not yours especially when you do not drink alcohol and they decide to claim that you you drunk a beer. I would expect a faster registration on President's Club. All in all a very good stay. The reception check in was very good . They check you in with beautiful smiles. The porters a very welcoming and always friendly. They do a very god job. The menu at Lord Delamere Terrace has improved greatly. It gives everybody something to eat. I had absent for 9 months but coming back I was impressed with Menu. It even had Gluten Free choices. A very health CONSCIOUS MENU. I HOPE IT WILL NOT CHANGE SOON BECAUSE IT GIVES A CHANCE TO EVERYBODY TO ENJOY WHAT ONE WANTS. The Private Taxis drivers should behave better. They should have a better system of soliciting clients. This should be looked into seriously and soon.

Nairobi, Kenya
“Menu prices contain "mistakes"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I brought two friends to Lord Delamere Terrace this week. They were very excited to try the lava chocolate cake, which we were surprised to see priced at only 500 shillings. But when we received the bill, we saw that we had been charged 800 shillings for the item. A quick review showed that only two of our three menus had listed the price as 500 shillings. (An appetizer price was similarly misprinted in two of the three menus.)

When we brought this to the attention of the hostess, she knew exactly what we were talking about. In fact, she pulled out one of the menus stacked on her table and pointed right at the "incorrect" prices. It seems that many of their menus contain price "mistakes". This, of course, had no bearing on how we were actually charged. We were not offered a new bill at the price printed on our menus, nor were we offered a credit or gesture of any kind for having been misled.

Needless to say, this seems less like a mistake than a deliberate attempt to swindle customers. I can't imagine why; they're already exorbitantly priced, and their chichi expat clientele would almost certainly be happy to pay the additional cost.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Nice is Key”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Here you feel like they know what they are doing. Probably its because of the time they have been around, may be I am wrong, but all in all its a lovely place to have a meal and endulge

Visited September 2012
Miami, FL
“Best fish and chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The restaurant is very nice. Despite being on a busy street, strategic placement of bushes and flowers make it quiet and pleasant, and somehow they make everything smell faintly of lemongrass, while the street 10 feet away smells... distinctly less nice.

I had the best fish and chips of my life here. They were not traditional - the fish was fried in fritters - but the batter was light and flavorful and the fish was lovely. Definitely recommended.

My main complaint is the cost. I spent 35 USD for fish and chips and a Tusker. Mostly I found this annoying because most everywhere else in Nairobi, menu prices include taxes, but here they were added, along with a service charge. Worthwhile for a rare treat, but not an everyday experience.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We arrived in a tropical storm which only added to the wonderful ambience of this classic hotel. We had lunch at the Lord Delamere - two of us had buffet, two had steaks. Met with smiles and classy presentation. Individual valets put behind our chairs for our jackets. Wine selection good - reasonably priced, quality SA whites produced perfectly chilled and presented. Food was faultless (for what it was). No drama with alacarte guest grabbing a buffet soup or sampling some buffet fare. Difficult to leave. Valet parking made it easier in the heavy rain. Highly recommend.

• Visited April 2012