“Will stay here again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 106 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Will stay here again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Its located very well, and serves the purpose of a business hotel. Fairly priced, service was also v good. Def stay there for my next trip to Nairobi later this year - KS

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I stayed here very recently, and I have to say, it is excellent accommodation - simple, clean spacious rooms, good location (close proximity to the biggest mall - Westgate) and very helpful staff. The breakfast menu is not extensive but was indeed delicious. When looking for accommodation in Nairobi, my primary concern was security, but I felt safe here, they have 24 hour security, and thankfully, the location of this hotel is in one of teh most happening areas of the city, and the area is never disserted, thanks to the 24 hour supermart opposite this hotel. Definitely, worth the money. Thank you and will definitely be back again!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I stayed at Progressive Park Hotel for just one night with mine and my cousin's family. All the good hotels we were checking were charging almost $220 + for one night for a double room where we got a two bedroom apartment for $160. Its a good value for a two bedroom accommodation ($440 vs $160).

The location is quite nice and safe, especially with Nakumatt (supermarket) just opposite the road. The apartment was spacious, but it was right next to the humengous power generator which was spilling smoke and was roaring at the highest noice. There are no ACs, and only one room had a fan, which was surprising for us. AFter a bit of negotiation, we managed to get one table fan for one room. There is hardly any service or room service there.

As for breakfast, we being Indians, found it ok, but was wondering how the non Indian guests survive there. This is basically a good location for Indian / South Asian tourists who can manage to get good Indian food / vegetarian food in a few steps walk. And the lady at the restaurant was so tough, made us feel as if we are taking their food for free...

Conclusion: For the budget I was looking for, its a good deal. The cons are manageable looking at the value benefit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ProgressiveParkHotel, Manager at Progressive Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review from your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay.

I am happy to note that you appreciate the value for money that we offer

I am pleased to inform you that we have undergone a complete refurbishment since your last stay. We now have a New Wing with Standard Studios & Executive Studios (with AC) which are accessible by Lift. We also have a New Reception & Restaurant.

The Two Bedroom Apartments have been refurbished to a high standard and includes 2 Fans.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Progressive Park

Management
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

This is an unusual find; I stayed here because the hotel I usually stay at in Nairobi was fully booked. I picked it because of the Trip Advisor reviews. I agree that it is very well located and for the price it is OK. It does not have air conditioning and the only source of hot water is a strangely plumbed in electric shower that takes a bit of working out. The kitchen is not that well stocked, there is a microwave and a fridge. If you were staying here for any length of time you would struggle to prepare meals with what is provided.
There were a number of blackouts when I was there and I can confirm the generator works, albeit it took 10 minutes on one occasion to kick in and it is very noisy! I would also add that if you are sensitive to noise this place may not be ideal, there is some building work going on in the complex and the apartments have some residential blocks around them which generate a fair amount of noise as does the gym (loud music) and aerobics studio (an instructor who sounds like a drill instructor!).
There is WiFi, but it is hit and miss and fairly slow when it is working.
The apartment I had was spacious, the furnishings were a bit shabby, overall this is a fairly average place to stay. Note, aside from the breakfast room, which I did not use, there is no longer a restaurant on site. However it is an easy walk to shopping malls and restaurants.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I recently stayed at the PP, based largely on the reviews I read on here. Given the quality of (very expensive) hotels in Nairobi, No 4 for business looked good and at $90, it seemed a steal. It was, but not for me, for the hotel, it’s not good. The location is excellent and the bed was comfy. There is no a/c which must be a problem when it's hotter, though when I was there it was fine.

The breakfast is Indian with no proper western offering. The cereal dispenser contained corn flakes, bran flakes and (a first for me) Bombay mix! The free wi-fi had two working speeds, very slow or not at all. Apparently it wasn’t usually like that, so I must have been unlucky for all three days, the internet never loaded properly

There was no hot water for washing or shaving and no sink plugs anyway and the instantaneous electric shower involved turning on two different water taps and an electric switch for the pump. It was no power shower either.

I’m not at all precious about where I stay, this is Africa, but after a good experience on my last visit a month ago at the Pride Inn, Westlands for $90 (inc a/c and proper breakfast), I was expecting something similar. I’d say a fair price for what I got would be about $60 maximum. Overpriced at $90 and even more so if you pay the rack rate of $120. As for $240 for a 2 bedroom apartment, wow!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Please accept my sincerest apologies for not having been able to meet your expectations. We have rectified all the shortcomings mentioned in your review. All of our rooms now have a Power shower and our Vegetarian Breakfast has been introduced with many continental options. The Fibre Optic Internet connection to which we are connected minimises downtime and ensures fast browsing speeds are achieved.

It is the high demand for rooms that has led us to expand our capacity from 24 rooms to 60 rooms over the past 2years. We now have a New Wing with Standard Studios & Executive Studios (with AC) which are accessible by Lift. We also have a New Reception & Restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Progressive Park

Management
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

I was in nairobi over april and enjoyed my stay here. The hotel is good value given the location, spacious rooms and convenience.
With nairobi traffic as bad as it is, this hotel's location is even more important. I would have gone crazy if I had to cab it for meals in nairobi traffic, but instead I can cross the road to nakumatt or walk two blocks down to westgate and there's groceries, meals, coffee, entertainment and everything. Even better, the staff suggested to my driver this back route to Gigiri area (where I had to commute while in nbo) where we avoided the rush (Peponi road I think).
The hotel has the usual amenities, such as the gym. I remember once in the evening the music at the gym was loud and I had to call the receptionist - they turned it down then so it was fine.
All in all really good value. rooms are comfy and clean and the location is gr8.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

The location was great, It was walking distance to Westfield's where you can get anything you need!
The staff were friendly, and welcoming.
Room was very tidy!
Only thing maybe could be improved is the breakfast menu.

Would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Progressive Park Hotel? Share your experiences!