“A Great Retreat Minutes From the Heart of Nairobi.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nairobi Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nairobi Tented Camp
You added Nairobi Tented Camp to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Nairobi National Park, Nairobi 00509, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 194 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Nairobi, Kenya
“A Great Retreat Minutes From the Heart of Nairobi.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

You could easily imagine that you've been transported a few hundred kilometres from Nairobi, so quiet is the camp and so dense the forest around it. All the sounds of the city are replaced by jungle sounds at night. And yet you've travelled only a few kilometres from the city.

The Nairobi Tented Camp inside the Nairobi National Park is a great alternative to driving three hours or more visit the otherwise nearest conservancy from Nairobi, and a great base from which to explore this gem of a park. I would also imagine that a visitor to the city with a weekend on his or her hands would appreciate the opportunity of spending it in this comfortable resort rather than in a city hotel.

The food and service are excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank NirmalyaKE

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

After landing at JKIA we have been greeted by our driver and been driven to the gates of NBO National Park. There we met with our guide who drove us to the camp. On the way we already saw rhinos (!), impalas and many other animals. The camp itself is very beautiful and the service was excellent. The warm shower was the perfect start into the afternoon game drive. Our guide Anthony and driver Gregory were really excellent and we had never expected to see so many animals, including a big pride of lions, many giraffes, black and white rhinos and many many other animals. We enjoyed a sundowner by the fireplace in the camp and afterwards a very good dinner. If you don't want to spend your time in any NBO hotel but rather enjoy the wilderness and great hospitality this is the perfect place for you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JOE10000
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was an amazing place I've ever visited as it was a camping experience inside a forest just an hour away from the intl airport. The service was excellent specially the trouble that they go through for you to have a hot water shower is laudable. A fire in the night to keep the guests warm and cozy is another point to mention. If I was given another chance to stay Nairobi city, I'll chose this place instead of city hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rimzan H
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was my first visit to the Nairobi Tented Camp (NTC) which has recently been taken over by Gamewatchers who run the excellent Porini Camps in Conservancies around Kenya.

I was working in Kenya and planned weekend safaris in Kenya and Rwanda through Gamewatchers.

NTC is a great way to begin or end a trip to Kenya and a great place to stay. I am not really concerned about security in Nairobi but if you are then this place should allay any fears!
See http://www.nairobitentedcamp.com/ ("Deep within a riverine forest minutes from Jomo Kenyatta Airport, Wilson Airport and Nairobi City is a true wilderness experience. Visitors can arrive into Kenya and get ‘straight under canvas’ within 30 minutes of leaving the airport. Nairobi Tented Camp is an authentic tented camp in the heart of Nairobi National Park.)

I was picked up from Nairobi airport in the morning and avoided the mad traffic jams into Nairobi. The previous week I was working in Nairobi and it took me almost two hours from the airport to my hotel. You can exit the park from a gate that is quite close to Wilson Airport (from where most fly in safaris start).

Also, if you are in Nairobi and just have a day or two free to do something - sometimes it just isn't feasible to get out of Nairobi - this is an excellent option - the rates compare well with a Nairobi City hotel and the experience is far better!

Nairobi traffic is notorious and to cater for that one usually winds up waiting hours in jams and ant the airport. I would much rather spend the time at NTC.

The camp itself was excellent - up to the usual Porini standard. This is a great chance to see White and Black Rhino which you are unlikely to see in the Maasai Mara. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of wildlife in the park. In the past I have always rushed off out of Nairobi. Also, the camp has a real bush feel - hyena came up through the stream bed to the camp fire.

Room Tip: There are a few tents and all a well located - if you are like me you could ask for one of the furth...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Safaribuff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

My second visit with family was as rewarding if not better than the first. Fantastic staff offering a genuine bush experience, luxurious yet not excessive, great attention to detail, utterly relaxing. Please do NOT change or 'upgrade' this gem! In particular, do not fence in - sleeping with the visiting rhino and other large mammals nearby is part of the treat. And kudos, again, to your fantastic game-drive guides. One request: please provide a good map for self-driving visitors: losing our way was an adventure, but could have been quite stressful had this happened at dusk. Highly recommended - we will be back!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Spent a lovely Saturday night in this charming camp. NTC delivers on so many levels: it is SO easy to get to but feels so remote and so "out in the wild" - perfect for the lazy traveler. The set up is lovely - the common area and dinning space is cosy, wonderfully laid out and very well appointed and the rooms are large, comfy and very safari chic. The service is excellent and the food first class. And all this for a really reasonable rate. I highly recommend it as a perfect weekend getaway in the heart of Nairobi!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Annmarie S
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Due to my preoccupation in Nairobi, I had not been able to visit anyplace else except my office. So I used the weekend before my departure to book myself into this safari online on their website. They picked me up from my hotel at 10:00. While, they said about forty minutes, it took me more than an hour to get there, due to construction of bypass, widening.

This is located within Nairobi National park, a 170 Sq. Km. forest, 7 KMs from the city of Nairobi. My Game drive started at five in the evening, saw hippos, bison, innumerable birds and was still looking for the Lions and Rhino. My Ranger picked up that there was a lion in the swamp area, true enough as we reached there, a lion sat amongst the rocks barley visible. We stayed put for almost thirty minutes. Magically, six more lions stood up from amongst the grass, barely ten meters from where we stayed put. The lions frolicked, split up into two, in preparation for a chase where one could start the chase and the other is waiting to intercept. Meanwhile, another big lioness, walked on the road past my open window, gave me a wonderful video shot and got into the swamp. So this was a eight member hunting group. While, I could not see a kill, seeing these lions prepare for a hunt with their own tactics was worth a million.
When, Clemence, the camp manager said we should always call for an escort when moving between the lounge and rooms, I did not believe her. But, next morning as we were starting our game drive, fifty meters from the camp, a fully grown female lioness, walked toward us, fearlessly, giving me another chance for photography. I would very strongly recommend this camp, as a must see, especially for these not traveling up to Masai Mara.

Room Tip: Book online, ask for pickup and drop off, stay one or two nights inside the National Park, amongst t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business