“Romantic, Peaceful, & the staff really made it special!” 5 of 5 stars

Nairobi Tented Camp
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Nairobi National Park, Nairobi 00509, Kenya   |
Ranked #1 of 153 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Ballito, South Africa
“Romantic, Peaceful, & the staff really made it special!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

For a romantic weekend away from the hustle and bustle of Nairobi - a better location could not be found. It literally took us 10 minutes drive from the airport to the East Gate of Nairobi National Park, and an incredible 20minutes or so of game-viewing driving to the tented camp from there. Being met by the friendly Masai, receiving a freshly made drink on arrival, and the incredibly friendly and proficient staff made this visit a great experience from the minute we arrived.
Tents have very comfortable beds, proper toilets, and a "bucket-shower" that is as good as a normal shower in the city.
The three meals served daily were a good variety of western cooking with an African touch, and a nice atmosphere in the mess and lounge areas - especially around the evening camp fire.
What really makes Nairobi Tented Camp 5-Star is the attention to detail that has clearly been worked on very hard, and is most evident in the staff, their friendliness and professionalism.

Couldn't recommend the place higher - especially considering the convenience of proximity to Nairobi, but absolute escapism from the city experienced.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival I was treated very nicely. Good way to escape the bustling streets of Nairobi.

• Stayed June 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I live in Nairobi and think this is a perfect escape for city visitors or those wanting to hear the calls of nature-rather than the barks of security dogs for one night. Great food and super staff.Will go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I felt i had to write to tell everyone about what an amazing experience both myself and my wife had when we stayed at NTC. Kim, the manager, is a highly professional lovely lady who makes you feel at home from the start. Henry and Joseph were both very welcoming, nothing was to much and you felt valued and cared for at all times. I must stay the Gerard, the Safari guide was a true professional and without doubt the most skilful and talented guide i have met. Well worth spending as much time with him as you can.

All in all this was a wonderful experience and one that we didn't want to end.

Great team, amazing surrounding and a first class service.

Do yourself a favour and GO

Room Tip: I clicked on the swimming pool buy mistake. They don't have a pool!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We spent one night at Nairobi Tented Camp having spent 3 nights in the Maasai Mara and on our way to Tsavo West before reaching Mombasa.

The Camp is situated in some woodland on a hillside in Nairobi National Park. We had a frustrating time reaching the camp as we were there on boxing day, a national holiday, so there were big queues to get in and we spent an hour waiting in the car park. That wasn't really the tented camp's fault although I do think they could make it a bit easier seeing as we had already booked and paid.

The tents are very nice, but basic compared to what we had in the Maasai Mara - not in itself an issue, but our bed was also on a slight slope which made for a bit of an uncomfortable night as me rolling into my husband was unavoidable. Also I freaked out because we had a couple of spiders in the tent (pathetic I know - what is someone like me doing staying in tented camps anyway!) where as I had been pleasantly suprised when our tent at Royal Mara stayed completely bug free throughout our stay.

So I know I have been very negative so far and it would seem a bit of a mystery as to why I have given this place 4 stars, but there is a lot of good stuff to say as well. I notice I am the only reviewer to not give this place a perfect 5 so far so I almost feel a bit guilty for tarnishing their record, but I can't give 5 stars after an uncomfortable sleep - if we had been there for more than 1 night I might have asked them to do something about it. My final grumble would be that it's not a camp you come to for the view as you are very much in undergrowth so can't see down the hill into the national park.

Anyway, on to the good stuff! The service in the camp is wonderful - it feels very high end, but is also very convivial and friendly. Drink is included in your stay (all soft drinks, wine and beer) as well as all your food. The common areas are very comfortable and welcoming and there is always someone ready to put another drink in your hand.

The food was superb - as with most of these tented camps, it is a set menu so be sure to give them any dietary requirements or dislikes in advance. Our dinner really felt like we were in a fine dining restaurant and it was nicely different from anything else we were served in Kenya - I would say that it was modern mediterranean / middle eastern cooking. The breakfast in the morning was also the nicest breakfast we had all holiday - really lovely English style sausages and I always judge a breakfast on the quality of its sausages!

After dinner we joined other guests and one of the staff members around a fire with some more drinks and it was a really lovely atmosphere.

The bucket showers in the tents are surprisingly pleasant although it is a little disconcerting when you realise that someone is standing outside listening to you shower to see if you need any more hot water! :-) Great service though! The water was a lovely temperature and it smells of wood burning stoves, which is obviously how it is heated, but I have never known water to take on a smell like that.

Nairobi national park in itself was nice, but the safar is no where near as good as the Maasai Mara where we had just come from. However, you are much more likely to see rhinos in Nairobi and we managed to see a group of 5 in the distance which we were very happy about. The undergrowth in the park is quite thick and you have to stay on the roads at all times so it is sometimes quite hard to find the animals, but that can also make safari all the more rewarding when you do find them. We had a nice time with some giraffes who are much tamer in Nairobi than other national parks in Kenya.

So overall the goods outweighed the bads and I think we just got unlucky with our bed so I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
flawrence, Owner at Nairobi Tented Camp, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Hi Ann,

Thank you so much for taking time to review Nairobi Tented Camp. We know once you arrive home it's difficult to find the time to log onto the website and leave a review. We really like hearing about our guests experience in the camp and especially appreciate it when we receive a comment that helps us improve the product further.

Firstly I apologise for the queue coming into the park. On Kenya National Holidays, the citizens of Nairobi enjoy the park due to it's unique location and good wildlife sightings. We are working with the Kenya WIldlife Service to have our system fast tracked for National Holidays. On normal days this is not a problem.

Secondly, we really appreciate your comment about the bed in your room. We have taken the tent down and levelled the platform again. The bed is totally level and awaits your next visit. As we are so environmentally conscious, we have chosen not to use any cement in the whole camp. Therefore levelling of all the tent platforms and packing of the ground was done by utilising local labour. The platforms are only a year old and they have all settled now, and it seems that your tent just required a small levelling. We have been assured by structural engineers that it is unlikely to move further as it has settled solid.

I hope this helps you and once again, we thank you so much for the time taken to fill in the review on Trip Advisor. We are very proud to be No.1 on Trip Advisor for Nairobi and look forward to welcoming you back to the camp soon.

Kind regards,

Guy Lawrence
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Butler service under canvas! Hot showers supplied by friendly Maasai who filled canvas buckets suspended from branches high above the tents; hot water bottle provided and put in our beds. Kim and staff made us all so welcome. We were taken for sundowners where we enjoyed wine and nibbles overlooking the plains - another wonderful way to see the animals in the park. After a splendid supper we all sat by the roaring fire listening to the animals near by - we will be back very soon!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I spent 2.5 days here before attending a conference in Nairobi. It was among the best 2.5 days of my life. It was slow season, and I was one of the only guests, and I was treated like royalty. I have no doubt that everyone is treated like royalty, even when they are full.

On various game drives I saw (and photographed) an amazing variety of wildlife, including almost 80 species of bird (birders take note).I can't say enough about Gerald my guide. An encyclopedic and educational guide and truly gentle man ("Sundowners" What a great tradition). I had a delightful walking tour with Will Knocker, a very knowledgeable naturalist and wonderful host. The food (all cooked over gas and charcoal) is astonishing. James the camp manager and the whole NTC helped hunt for my missing luggage. And I had a Sykes Monkey chew and then pee on my tent.

I will come back, and am a richer person for the experience. When was the last time you said that about a place you stayed?

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Nairobi Tented Camp? Share your experiences!