“Confortable layover” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 130 Hotels in Nairobi
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Confortable layover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I always try to get to my destinations through a skyteam flight (I take my elite status very seriously), so when I had to book a flight from Maputo to India, it was only normal that I would fly KQ, which meant I had to do a layover of 23 hours in Nairobi. The next step was to book a hotel, which at first I was very sceptical, going through some of the reviews on bookers or even on trip advisor, non of them seemed to get my attention, some looked outdated, tired or with a lot of personality (too colonial). I knew I would be tired so I looked for something modern, with clean lines and an appealing bed (of course .. from the photos).
The Shankara caught my attention and I booked a room for the night. It was everything that I was expecting. Clean, young, cool, high-tech, swanky but times at times I felt a pretentious vibe in it (but just for a split moment .. I think).
Stayed in room 3036 which I guess is a standard: clean and the design was superb for a standard, and I was impressed with the detailing of the amneties. Being a "big/chubby/tall" boy I was surprised to actually encounter robes big enough for me, and of course decent hangers (I don't get why some 5* hotels still use those that r locked to the wardrobe ... that's just mental).
Staff was attentive and overall the service is very good for what you pay for, it's not a fantastic hotel but it is what it is, it is reliable and safe for leisure, business or a layover like me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Sankara N, General Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear 15theos,

Thank you so much for your gracious review. I am delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our property and finding the rights sized robes.

We note that you felt the hotel was missing some elements to make it fantastic. We would be most grateful for any feedback on what elements were missing so that we can review for future improvement. Please do let us know on stay@sankara.com

We do look forward to welcoming you back in your next visit to Nairobi.

With Kind Regards

Moshi perera, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

I would have written that this is the most modern, well appointed hotel in Nairobi (that I've stayed in) with excellent facilities, in a good location (westlands) and top class service at a pretty reasonable price, however this place lets itself down by having a bewildering internet system that regularly logs you out and doesn't allow certain programs to run properly, such as ms outlook which became tiresome. Everything else about the hotel is excellent; the restaurant offers a good selection of food even though the buffet isn't that exciting. There are also several good spots for hanging out and a quality coffee/sandwich bar. I'd fully recommend this place once they sort out their internet, or if having internet access is less of an issue than it was for me, being on business.

Room Tip: choose a high floor room as it can get noisy during weekends.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear RikTNC,

Thank you for your gracious comments about our property; the design, the facilities, the excellent service and our location.

We sincerely apologize that you experienced very disappointing internet connectivity throughout your stay which may have resulted from some of the Internet service providers’ intermittent outage we experienced recently. Your feedback however has been shared with our IT team, who are currently looking at ways of improving the internet services further.

We do hope that you will return and have a better experience after the enhancements have been made; and enjoy our personalized service and the authentic flavor of the new Africa.

With Warm Regards,

Kampala, Uganda
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I made calls through the website for a booking into this hotel, for my planned stay between the 28th and 2nd May. The lady I spoke too seemed to be friendly and helpful, but was sharing prices different from what I had seen on the website.

She promised to confirm my booking, but 48hrs later, I have not received a confirmation despite my repeated inquiries.

Still wondering if they are worth my money!

Dennis

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Sankara N, General Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear kekod2014,

Thank you for your review on your reservation experience.

I have followed up with the colleague who took care of your booking and confirmed that she indeed responded to you on 22nd April at 2.46 pm. Please check your email account and perhaps on the spam as well since we have noted that this does happen with some email accounts’.

To further clarify, our room rates listed on the website are displayed exclusive of local taxes and what was quoted when you called, as explained by the agent, was inclusive of taxes .We received your online booking on 23rd April and this should have generated an automated booking confirmation directly to your email.

Should you need any further assistance with your booking, you can also contact us directly on the email address stay@nairobi.sankara.com.

Thank you again for taking the time for your feedback and hope that this has gone some in reassuring you in advance of your visit.

Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed at this hotel before and after my Safari. The hotel is very nice, spotlessly clean with top notch service. Food was great and rooftop bar was a great place to hang out. The hotel is well located in the Westlands area of nairobi. It is walking distance to may shopping areas including a mall with large supermarket (The Sarit Centre) literally across the street from the hotel. The staff was very accommodating even when I wanted to have my hair braided, they helped me to find a salon and negotiate the price.
One point of improvement: We had requested and prepaid for a room with 3 beds a month before stay. The room wasn't set up when we checked in at 4:00pm. We would have liked a ready room with 3 sets of towels and 3 beds ready before we arrive.
This was quickly fixed by the staff and may have been an oversight as everything else was top notch. We had to go through metal detectors to enter the hotel but that helped me to feel more secure.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear Nat B,

Thank you for your lovely review of our property.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and extend our most sincere apologies for the lapse in providing your requests sent in advance. The Housekeeping Team have been asked to review this to ensure we do not have a similar situation recurring.

Our commitment to ensuring your safety and comfort is of paramount importance. We have strengthened our already stringent security measures; with the addition of luggage scanners, anti blast shatter films on our windows and are awaiting delivery of further advanced equipment for detection to be added.

We do look forward to welcoming you back; to experience our personalized service from our staff.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Overall it was a great experience during my stay
the hotel is safe, secured, clean and gorgeous. the pool and bar areas must not be missed.
the service level is exceptional great, better than a lot of hotels i have been staying across different cities in different continents, I would like to thank John Menya, for his excellent service at the lobby. he always greet us when ever saw us leaving or coming back to the hotel, there are time he even walked us to the back door or ATM for safety reason. i can say he is a role model for service industry, our experience wouldn't be this wonderful without his great hospitality thank you.
the only minor issue we had was over the weekend when there were party nearby which not last until 3 in the morning. but otherwise great hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sankara N, General Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear MJJH2012,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your most recent stay with us.

We are delighted to note that you had a wonderful stay with us. The entire team will be hugely appreciative of your kind comments; and I will make sure that particularly John receives the recognition he deserves.

We are truly sorry for the noise emerging from the party nearby which was beyond our control. We have spoken with our neighbours on the matter.

We hope that you will be back again to enjoy our unequalled personalized service.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed a while ago, but enjoyed it. I stayed in a suite style room with a lovely bathroom. The buffet restaurant on the mezzo floor was excellent.

The only complaints were the water patches on the walls (probably plumbing issues) and having to go through a metal detector. Although when it comes to security I guess its better to be safe than sorry.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sankara N, General Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Dan T,

Thank you for your review.

We are happy to note that you had a lovely stay at our property. Our engineering team will look into the water patches you mentioned in the room you stayed as this is not evident elsewhere.

Our commitment to ensuring your safety and comfort is of paramount importance. We have strengthened our already stringent security measures; with the addition of luggage scanners to ensure search of all bags brought into the hotel, anti blast shatter films on our windows and are awaiting delivery of further equipment for detection to be added.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Sankara hotel is one of the best hotels I have stayed in in Africa. The rooms are very clean and stuff are very friendly and professional. I enjoyed my very short stay there. The bar on the top floor has a good view of Nairobi too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Shingai Sharon M,

Thank you for taking to write your review on our property; and for the wonderful remarks about our facilities and staff.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to experience the tranquillity of our spacious rooms and the stunning views from our rooftop Club and the Champagne Bar.