“Excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Hotel is egreat. The rooms, service, food and location are all excellent and I think you will struggle to find a better hotel in Nairobi. Stayed the night before at Southern Sun Mayfair as bookings were full at Sankara. It is like chalk and cheese. My only gripe would be that everything in the hotel is very expensive and was bit annoyed that I had to pay more than 5 dollars for a bottle of drinking water as they dont sell the smaller cheaper bottle even though they provide 2 bottles of the cheaper stuff to everyroom everyday. So if you run out of complimentary water just be prepared to ripped off.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

378 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Northampton, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I wanted to stay for a longer period but it was full for the first four night I wanted but was very pleased I moved to the Sankara for the last four days of my visit.
Rooms are reasonably spacious and was pleased how light the room was so was able to work in the room. I had a room on the club floor so use of the club lounge which was convenient when I need a snack and to get out of the room for a while. Resturant on the seventh floor was pleaseant for a change ut sugest you book a table as certainly at the weekend was very popular though the friendly staff managed to fit me in. It is easy to access a number of malls in the area though of course the terrible events of Saturday 21st September occuring just a few days after I left was a real shock. Security at the hotel was very good and staff seemed very dilligent so will be happy to go back there again.

Room Tip: Club rooms very quiet and no external noise heard.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Paul H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review dated 25th September 2013.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and more so with your gracious compliments about our staff, service and facilities.

Our city has been deeply affected by the tragedy. We at Sankara stand by our community to mourn the loss and applaud the bravery of many. We are committed to ensuring your safety and comfort by heightening our already stringent security measures.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This turned out to be a decent location near the Sarit Center and the Undugu Fair Trade Shop. The room was very nice though perhaps a little cramped for the price and level of the hotel. The bathroom was very nice and included an in-room hair dryer, shower with multiple heads, and separate tub.
The spa included a nice fitness room, and the rooftop pool and bar was definitely picturesque.
We enjoyed the lunch buffet at Artisan, the less formal of the restaurants within the hotel, with great Kenyan tea, great breads, soups, and cheeses among the options - plus an awesome dessert bar. The food service was incredibly friendly and helpful, and the outdoor patio for dining was lovely.
Hotel service was outstanding, including the front desk/reception and the director of services Monica (the concierge).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My first impression of the hotel was wow! Very upmarket and trendy. The service was good although it felt a little commercial for me. The rooms were smart but rather small, given the price of $300 USD per night. The food was excellent, I ate breakfast and dinner at the restaurant. I recommend the view from the roof as its quite something. I would recommend this if your looking for real upmarket living.

• Stayed September 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed in the hotel for 4 nights on their business executive room floor. Well designed room, though not that spacious. The staff are friendly and very professional. I like the fact that it's near to popular malls, bars and restaurants in Westlands. Security is also reassuringly tight.

I look forward to night time when they offer to turn -down the bed, they give these small and cute collectible animal figurines.

The only issue is the small and cramped front desk at the ground floor and a claustrophobic elevators.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed here for a week on business. Great hotel and would highly recommend. Friendly and efficient staff, very comfortable beds and great food. The breakfast is lovely and the hotel has a few restaurants that are great. I especially liked the Thai restaurant. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Kathleen M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review dated 3rd September 2013.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and more so with your gracious compliments about our staff, service, food and facilities.

As the entire team at Sankara Nairobi care deeply about our guests’ convenience and comfort, your kind words will only motivate to further exceed your expectations.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed at the Sankara 3 times over the past several months for business. There is never a question of where I will stay in Nairobi because of the excellent and helpful service of this dedicated and friendly staff. The hotel is conveniently located. Serene and comfortable rooms (especially on 2nd floor, overlooking the pool next door), very good business facilities, and excellent food (insane dessert bar, lovely cold drinks). From reception to rooftop the hotel is well appointed and comfortable. But what really makes the Sankara special is the staff - always professional, accommodating and eager to help. On one occasion, my colleagues and I had a 3 a.m. departure, and the staff arranged breakfast to go for us. On another, our trip was extended, and the staff did their best to try and find rooms for us for the duration during a very busy time. They even offered to check at the hotel next door on our behalf. On another occasion I was ill (nothing to do with Sankara) and the chamber maid came to check on me at turn down, saying she had heard I was ill and was there anything she could do for me. Last minute arrangements were made for us to make use of the board room when we discovered this was needed - a lovely space, rental included good food service at reasonable rates.The clientele appear to range from safari go-ers and tourists to business people from all over the world, including Kenya. And, the soapstone animals. As others have mentioned, this is a very sweet touch, and a much anticipated souvenir by my son when I return home. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear LBR25,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review dated 3rd September 2013.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and more so with your gracious compliments about our service, staff and facilities.

The Management

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!