“Beyond Expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Beyond Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My visit to Sankara was amazing. The nightly turn down service with soapstone animal figurines was an very welcoming touch. The bellmen were extremely helpful and went of their way to help me. The location was very convenient; a very short jaunt across the street to Sarit Center or a block or two from Westlands mall. The fitness facility was well equipped for a quick vacation workout. Water was bottled and readily available in whatever quantity you require. I would stay here again if I ever get the chance to visit Nairobi again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Beth G,

Thank you for your review dated 24th August 2013.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and more so with your gracious compliments about our ambience, service and facilities.

As the entire team at Sankara Nairobi care deeply about our guests’ convenience and comfort, your kind words will only motivate to further exceed your expectations.

We do look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi very soon.

With Kind regards,

The Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Great modern rooms, fresh coffee in the room, decent wifi, and excellent food choice!

The pool and gym offer good facilities and a range of equipment.

Excellent location in central Westland meaning you can walk to local businesses and shops.

• Stayed August 2013
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I'd caution anyone against staying at the Sankara these days; seems true that their best staff have been poached by the new Kempinski given the level of service received on my last visit. i have stayed here countless times on business but this time from start to finish the service was poor as was the response to my complaints. The only positive to the hotel was the restaurant on level 1 - the service and food were both up to the standard I had been used to at the Sankara. After several comedy of errors and customer service that, at best, was standard and, at worst, was insulting, I will never stay at the hotel again nor recommend it to anyone. It turned a family weekend into a weekend full of stress all because the staff were generally clueless (slow check-in, noise in hotel beyond midnight, phone call from front desk at 1.45 am, incomplete check-in that required goest to endure second check-in 90 minutes after initial arrival. Worst of all, there are unauthorised charges on my credit card from the hotel, processed after I checked-out). All-in-all, disappointing and frustrating. I will be staying at the Kempinski next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Mr. Ramsaanen,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review dated 9th August 2013.

We're sorry to hear that your experience was not to expectation and we did not deliver the standards we are accustomed to. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the lapse in standards that you experienced.

We will arrange to get in touch with you directly to resolve this matter.

Please rest assured that this is perhaps an isolated series of incidents which we will need to look into in more detail and that a vast majority of our staff have been since inception of the hotel.

We do hope that afford us an early opportunity to restore your faith in the Sankara Nairobi soon. To this end please do not hesitate to contact us so that we can take care of all your requirements personally.

With Kind Regards,

The Management
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Amazing hotel in the middle of Westlands so easy to go out and about. The pool and bar on the top floor are fab; service, food and rooms are great and we were always made to feel welcome. It's a great place to stay in Nairobi.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Overall, this was a very nice stay for business purposes. It's quite a busy area, so it wouldn't necessarily be my top choice for a vacation/personal stay, but it was a good place for people to come meet us and relatively central (meaning equally long time sitting in Nairobi traffic!) to all our outside meetings. Staff was generally friendly and helpful. Lots of small seating options on the mezzanine which are not too busy in the mornings and we often took a table in the bar for our meetings and just kept ordering coffees - and the coffee and bakery was quite good. The rooftop pool/bar is a nice place for a drink, but defintiely more of a "see and be seen" scene than a pool for exercise. The gym is small but adequate, though a bit warm. Hotel food and drinks are expensive, but that, I guess, is to be expected. It is just across from Westlands Mall which offers lower cost options. The room was nice, well-appointed, very comfortable bed and a mini fridge and safe in standard rooms. I only had a couple of issues during my stay. First, the previous guest had left the safe locked and it took many many calls and visits with maintenance before it was able to be fixed. Second, there was some confusion about our room rate. When booking we specifically asked for the room rate including breakfast. However, after we checked in we were told that breakfast was not included in the room rate. We showed the e-mail correspondence which specified breakfast, but the hotel insisted they would charge us an additional $20 per day for breakfast. I could never eat $20 worth of food first thing in the morning, so we just skipped breakfast. Not a big deal, but the lack of clarity or willingness to stand by the quoted rate was a little annoying. Finally, my last day there I thought I would take advantage of the steam and sauna rooms before getting on the long, dry 22-hour trip home. I was in my towel and heading out of the locker room section and over to the toilet/shower section to shower before heading into the steam room, and was surprised to find a gentleman relieving himself in the women's toilet - with the stall door open! I think the problem here is that the locker/shower/steam room is also the toilet for the rooftop bar and the men's and women's facilities are just across from each other, meaning you get some people who have perhaps had a bit too much to drink wandering into the wrong facility. While I can understand how this might happen, it was a little disturbing and pretty much ruined my plans for a relaxing sauna. I will likely return to this hotel because it is very convenient for business, and the rooms are nice, clean and confortable, but I would suggest that the hotel look into ways to better control for the bar patrons.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as opposed to overlooking the noisy traffic and construction out front.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here for one night during a stop over to my safari trip. It was a new hotel, less than 2 years i was told. Everything is top grade, bed is extremely comfortable. Food is excellent quality. We have tried the dinner buffet and there were a lot of choices. Dessert was also very good and with a lot of choices.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mombasa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a beautiful experience during our stay at Sankara Nairobi.

The hotel is brand new, and the rooms are excellent in terms of size, luxury and the amenities.

Location is excellent as it is located in Westlands area thus centrally located to all nearby malls and restaurants.

WIFI is included, and the speed is great.

Staff is extremely friendly and welcoming.

Breakfast is very impressive, though they could do better with the hot dishes, as it was mostly pork.

However, I still rate the hotel 5 stars due to the room standards, customer service, and excellent location.

Since I am regular travel to Nairobi, I will not hesitate to always stay at Sankara.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!