“Rooftop lounge and cocktails” 5 of 5 stars

Sankara Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodvale Grove, Westlands, Nairobi 00606, Kenya   |
Ranked #10 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Chicago, Illinois
“Rooftop lounge and cocktails”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This review is only for the rooftop lounge and cocktails at the Sankara.

The rooftop offers the most excellent views of Nairobi while lounging by the pool on the top. Cocktails are excellent. My Tanqueray dirty martini was perfectly prepared, although it cost me close to $15 (wait, am I back in Chicago?). Come here for the views, stay for the cocktails.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Knysna, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Booked in by my business partner from Nairobi. I spend two nights in the great place. Truly a 5* hotel, fantastic spar.very central. Hotel is full with Americans from American embassy and UN headquarter...
Breakfast is big , but you have to wait forever for the toast that you have to do yourself, does not suit a 5* place.
The rooms are very comfortably and have a great desk to work on....
Staff is more than friendly. Will defiantly be back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very nice. Reasonable gym and nice roof top pool. Location seems to be not great. We were warned by staff not to go out on foot at night as it can be dangerous in the area. We did not eat dinner in the hotel but breakfast was very nice.

• Stayed November 2012
Foshan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Of all the hotels in Nairobi, Sankara is the only modern world class business hotel in town, other hotels are quite outdated, the bed is quite good and soft, but I prefer a bit harder, rooms are clean, but bathroom is see through, for couples is good but for friends not that good. Service is near perfect, only sometimes the staff respond a bit late.

Location is good near two large shopping malls, due to the mixed location, walking out at night is not that safe.

Overall experience is quite good.

• Stayed April 2013
Lewes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Arriving for the first time in Nairobi can be a shock. After a tiring eight hour, overnight flight from London all one wants to do is get to a comfortable, air-conditioned hotel. So sitting in traffic chaos for nearly an hour as one inches away from the international airport in suffocating heat can temper one's enthusiasm.

Even when our cab arrived we had one more delay, which was an airport style security check in meaning that off, again, came the belt, watch and out with the laptop. At last I was checked in.

My room was just what I had hoped for. Up on the sixth floor it was spacious, had lots of storage, a big, soft comfortable king-sized bed and both a deep bath and a large shower. I was told that if I wanted to I could even use the executive breakfast room, although quite why I should only want to watch executives eat breakfast whilst their mobile phones trill every 20 seconds I cannot imagine. The breakfast room downstairs serves a very fine buffet breakfast and seemed entirely executive free which was great as far as I was concerned.

So far all very, very good. So it must be time for a couple of quibbles and, indeed it is. First off, there is a splendid bar up on the roof where one can sit and chill near a pool and where cocktails, champagnes and a huge selection of wines and spirits are available. It is chic and expensive, but my colleague thought that we deserved a few gin and tonics in order to unwind after our long trip.

When it came time to settle our bill we found that we had been served doubles so that our three gin and tonics each weighed in at around £75 ex service, which had a sobering effect on our otherwise delightful hour up on the roof. I would have liked to have been asked if I had wanted singles or doubles and should have been.

Secondly the buffet dinner is as poor as the breakfast is excellent. Stone cold plates, luke warm roasts and sorry, stone cold vegetables make dinner a meal that one would not wish to repeat. There is, mercifully, an entire room devoted to a sumptuous dessert selection which is as delicious as the starters and main courses are poor.

The Sankara should be an undisputed five star hotel. Its staff are all helpful and friendly and the accommodation is first class even if the location feels a bit on the fringe of city life. But the feeling that I had been overcharged deliberately and a cold meal means that I can only give it four.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My first trip to Nairobi made all the more enjoyable thanks to the Sankara. Very friendly staff, excellent, comfy rooms. Service in the bar / cafe a little hit and miss at times and it would have been nice to have got to taste some Kenyan rather than international food in the hotel's various eateries but overall Sankara is a great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I are British citizens, residents here in Kenya. With us both being teachers we wanted an extremely relaxing holiday during our Easter holidays to recharge the batteries, so we decided to come to the Sankara for 5 days.

We are arrived at midday on a Wednesday and after calling a few days before hand we were given our early check in as requested. We went to our room (a superior room) and it was beautiful. Extremely comfortable and a very cool feature of the rooms are the glass walls of the bathroom. An extremely comfortable room, very comfortable bed and plenty of complimentary bottles of water surrounding the room as well as fresh fruit. A great selection of tv channels including 5 sports channels showing all the top sport from around the world (a great plus from me)!

We slept extremely well the first night of our stay (probably the best nights sleep in a hotel I have had). When we woke the next morning we noticed that there was a leak coming out of the air conditioning shaft at the top, the floor was quite wet. I went down to reception to inform them. The very helpful lady on the desk rang the manager and they were extremely apologetic for the inconvenience this caused. Immediately I was informed that we were getting a two bedroom upgrade to a Junior Suite. This was extremely pleasing and the sign of top top quality service. I was told to go back to my room and pack our stuff and we would be moved immediately. From the time I went down to reception to tell them about the leak it was only 30minutes until we were in our new room. The Junior Suite was a beautiful room and was much appreciated.

The gym in the hotel is of a good standard. A decent range of free weights as well as good quality treadmills (technogym). One thing that would be a good addition would be spin bikes, rather than the usual exercise bike.

The pool area is beautiful and extremely relaxing. A nice touch at the gym/sauna and steam room was the free bottles of water that are given out.

The breakfast in the hotel was world class, the best range of food I have ever seen at breakfast and the food was of the finest quality. The Oriental restaurant was delicious and extremely fresh. The continental restaurant was excellent and was one of the nicest meals we have every enjoyed. The desserts in the hotel are phenomenal! The highest standard of dessert you would get from anywhere in the world.

Every member of staff in the hotel is very well trained and extremely friendly, polite and helpful.

I can't speak of this hotel highly enough. My wife and I have stayed in top hotels over Europe and beyond and this is without a doubt one of, if not the best we have stayed in. A true 5 star hotel and we will definitely be back.

If you ever have the opportunity to stay here please do! You will not regret it.

Room Tip: If you request a room in a quiet area of the hotel, they will help you out.