“Very good all round” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
London
“Very good all round”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My first trip to Nairobi made all the more enjoyable thanks to the Sankara. Very friendly staff, excellent, comfy rooms. Service in the bar / cafe a little hit and miss at times and it would have been nice to have got to taste some Kenyan rather than international food in the hotel's various eateries but overall Sankara is a great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I are British citizens, residents here in Kenya. With us both being teachers we wanted an extremely relaxing holiday during our Easter holidays to recharge the batteries, so we decided to come to the Sankara for 5 days.

We are arrived at midday on a Wednesday and after calling a few days before hand we were given our early check in as requested. We went to our room (a superior room) and it was beautiful. Extremely comfortable and a very cool feature of the rooms are the glass walls of the bathroom. An extremely comfortable room, very comfortable bed and plenty of complimentary bottles of water surrounding the room as well as fresh fruit. A great selection of tv channels including 5 sports channels showing all the top sport from around the world (a great plus from me)!

We slept extremely well the first night of our stay (probably the best nights sleep in a hotel I have had). When we woke the next morning we noticed that there was a leak coming out of the air conditioning shaft at the top, the floor was quite wet. I went down to reception to inform them. The very helpful lady on the desk rang the manager and they were extremely apologetic for the inconvenience this caused. Immediately I was informed that we were getting a two bedroom upgrade to a Junior Suite. This was extremely pleasing and the sign of top top quality service. I was told to go back to my room and pack our stuff and we would be moved immediately. From the time I went down to reception to tell them about the leak it was only 30minutes until we were in our new room. The Junior Suite was a beautiful room and was much appreciated.

The gym in the hotel is of a good standard. A decent range of free weights as well as good quality treadmills (technogym). One thing that would be a good addition would be spin bikes, rather than the usual exercise bike.

The pool area is beautiful and extremely relaxing. A nice touch at the gym/sauna and steam room was the free bottles of water that are given out.

The breakfast in the hotel was world class, the best range of food I have ever seen at breakfast and the food was of the finest quality. The Oriental restaurant was delicious and extremely fresh. The continental restaurant was excellent and was one of the nicest meals we have every enjoyed. The desserts in the hotel are phenomenal! The highest standard of dessert you would get from anywhere in the world.

Every member of staff in the hotel is very well trained and extremely friendly, polite and helpful.

I can't speak of this hotel highly enough. My wife and I have stayed in top hotels over Europe and beyond and this is without a doubt one of, if not the best we have stayed in. A true 5 star hotel and we will definitely be back.

If you ever have the opportunity to stay here please do! You will not regret it.

Room Tip: If you request a room in a quiet area of the hotel, they will help you out.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

One of the best of East Africa... super service, great food, affordable rooms, comfortable beds and premium furniture. Area is always great and close to most of business offices. I will definitely go back there for my next trip to Nairobi

Mombasa, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed atf the hotel for business for one day and ,everything was excellent ,with friendly staff ready to assist,good facilities,rooms clean and spacious and easily accessible to the shopping center.Perfect place to stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband took me to stay at Sankara for two nights for my birthday. We live in Nairobi so it was easy to find and we already knew about the local clubs and restaurants. Several times before we had been to the pool bar for drinks and appetizers.

This was the first time we actually stayed overnight. The room was clean, modern, and very nice. The two things that stand out the most to me were:

1. The Bed! It was so soft. The sheets and pillows were exceptional quality. I could have spent the whole two days in bed.

2. The Water Pressure! I probably took six showers. Anyone who lives in Nairobi has probably experienced a lack of water pressure, especially in the older houses like one one we live in. To me, this was a real treat!

We ordered room service. I had the beef fillet and a salad. It was delicious and cooked how I wanted it. We ate and had drinks at the pool. Also very nice. And we had dinner one night at the Thai restaurant. Breakfast was included for both of us with the cost of the room. It was a diverse and substantial buffet offering everything I could want.

We had a lovely stay and would definitely go back. The location is perfect if you want to go out to local clubs and bars. I recommend Sankara for business and for couples.

Final and cute touch were the little painted creatures on your bedside table. These were set out during the turndown service. Collect all seven!

• Stayed March 2013
Cali, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my husband while he was in business in Nairobi. I do not have anything but good comments about this place.
Starting with the room: It is very roomy, clean, the bathroom is modern and provides anything you may have at home: a scale, a magnifying mirror, etc, the bed is very comfortable and there is a working space just in case you need to work from your room.
Internet is free and available, with no limits all over the hotel.
Talking about the food... the hotel has an excellent selection. You can choose international cuisine, buffet, thai food.. and everything is delicious.
You can dine in any of the three restaurants or on the rooftop, which also has a nice Champaign bar with life music.
The service is excellent. All the waiters want to make the best of your stay and welcome you with a nice and big smile all the times.
Last but not least.... the hotel has a dessert bar that is the best! It is impossible to ignore it and every day the have the most appealing and exquisite selection. It seems that there is a very well trained patissier somewhere in the kitchen that is doing an excellent job!

Definetly I recommend this place, and will love to come back.

Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at the Sankara on business for three days and overall it was a very pleasant experience. Not too crowded with good facilities, it is also very well located and was ideal as a base for meetings around the city.

The room was spacious, well-equipped and clean and the housekeeping service was prompt and very professional; I liked the little stone animals they left in your room too.

They have a small but reasonably well-equipped gym on the top floor and a pool and terrace bar which is good although in the evenings it has a very limited menu. The breakfast buffet was good with plenty of choice.

Sadly, on the last night I was woken at 0430 by a steady dripping which turned into a waterfall as a pipe had burst in the room above mine. Maintenance were on the scene very quickly and I had to be moved to another room.

Overall this is a nice hotel and certainly a soft landing for anyone coming to Kenya for the first time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!