“Perfect birthday weekend” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodvale Grove, Westlands, Nairobi 00606, Kenya   |
Ranked #16 of 145 Hotels in Nairobi
“Perfect birthday weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband took me to stay at Sankara for two nights for my birthday. We live in Nairobi so it was easy to find and we already knew about the local clubs and restaurants. Several times before we had been to the pool bar for drinks and appetizers.

This was the first time we actually stayed overnight. The room was clean, modern, and very nice. The two things that stand out the most to me were:

1. The Bed! It was so soft. The sheets and pillows were exceptional quality. I could have spent the whole two days in bed.

2. The Water Pressure! I probably took six showers. Anyone who lives in Nairobi has probably experienced a lack of water pressure, especially in the older houses like one one we live in. To me, this was a real treat!

We ordered room service. I had the beef fillet and a salad. It was delicious and cooked how I wanted it. We ate and had drinks at the pool. Also very nice. And we had dinner one night at the Thai restaurant. Breakfast was included for both of us with the cost of the room. It was a diverse and substantial buffet offering everything I could want.

We had a lovely stay and would definitely go back. The location is perfect if you want to go out to local clubs and bars. I recommend Sankara for business and for couples.

Final and cute touch were the little painted creatures on your bedside table. These were set out during the turndown service. Collect all seven!

• Stayed March 2013

Cali, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my husband while he was in business in Nairobi. I do not have anything but good comments about this place.
Starting with the room: It is very roomy, clean, the bathroom is modern and provides anything you may have at home: a scale, a magnifying mirror, etc, the bed is very comfortable and there is a working space just in case you need to work from your room.
Internet is free and available, with no limits all over the hotel.
Talking about the food... the hotel has an excellent selection. You can choose international cuisine, buffet, thai food.. and everything is delicious.
You can dine in any of the three restaurants or on the rooftop, which also has a nice Champaign bar with life music.
The service is excellent. All the waiters want to make the best of your stay and welcome you with a nice and big smile all the times.
Last but not least.... the hotel has a dessert bar that is the best! It is impossible to ignore it and every day the have the most appealing and exquisite selection. It seems that there is a very well trained patissier somewhere in the kitchen that is doing an excellent job!

Definetly I recommend this place, and will love to come back.

Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at the Sankara on business for three days and overall it was a very pleasant experience. Not too crowded with good facilities, it is also very well located and was ideal as a base for meetings around the city.

The room was spacious, well-equipped and clean and the housekeeping service was prompt and very professional; I liked the little stone animals they left in your room too.

They have a small but reasonably well-equipped gym on the top floor and a pool and terrace bar which is good although in the evenings it has a very limited menu. The breakfast buffet was good with plenty of choice.

Sadly, on the last night I was woken at 0430 by a steady dripping which turned into a waterfall as a pipe had burst in the room above mine. Maintenance were on the scene very quickly and I had to be moved to another room.

Overall this is a nice hotel and certainly a soft landing for anyone coming to Kenya for the first time.

• 3 of 5 stars
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I thought that the rooms and common areas were very well thought out and still looking in very good condition in spite of the hotel already having been open for a couple of years.

Bed was good and bathroom very well laid out with plenty of hot water.

Staff were very friendly and in general were exemplary. My only minor quibble is the guest services desk where they let themselves down a couple of times ... We booked a day's safari via them and had expected something organised and professional. We asked some quite specific questions when we booked (e.g can we pay on card) and had some awkward moments with the driver when we found he did not and we had to scuttle over to the ATM plus had to scape money together at the gate of the park. The bus we hired was quite grubby and worn out. Staff were not very receptive in trying to sort things out with the driver when things went a bit wrong. Had we booked independently I would have been less concerned but when you book with the concierge you expect more of a premium service.

We also asked them to enquire about a trip to giraffe manor. Concierge either did nothing to organise this or neglected to tell any of her colleagues which meant we repeated the whole conversation the following day - only to be told it was residents only.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for an extended stay earlier this year. Great rooms, nice large bathroom, decent gym, nice rooftop pool/restaurant, service is top notch (thru give you fruit basket upon arrival, a new miniature animal each night upon turndown). Plenty of taxis available outside. Took about 30 minutes from airport. Plan upto 1.5 hrs in case of traffic.

Would recommend anytime!

• Stayed February 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Sankara is a new hotel and looks so good. Everything is new and glamorous. I had breakfast and lunch with a business partner and we really enjoyed the selection. Tables are well laid out and linen is perfect. The treatment by the staff made me feel like a queen. I will definitely go back to spoil myself.

1 Thank Hjkenya
Harare, Zimbabwe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was invited to dinner in the restaurant by a friend and her daughter who had booked a table in advance. So we were a little taken aback when it appeared that the reservation had not been made, although the restaurant was luckily not full. We then ordered fresh drinks - variety of juice and vegetable mixes and these took quite a while after we had had to call a waiter to take our order. Then we had another wait as the food came- red clipper and two chicken dishes which were very well laid out and compensated for the wait. The dessert spread was an endless selection and so were the herbal teas soon after. Before we received our bill we heard the next table complaining about the time taken to take and bring orders so we were not alone.

It is a pity that the pace of service detracts customers from an otherwise very pleasantly decorated venue. We did have a word with our main waiter about the need to keep customers briefed on progress if there were going to be delays in service. He took it kindly. My friend's daughter summed up the evening by saying she had been there to eat on a number of occasions and also waited, the redeeming factor being that the food when it finally came was worth the wait.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends