“Probably best in Nairobi” 5 of 5 stars

Sankara Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodvale Grove, Westlands, Nairobi 00606, Kenya   |
Ranked #13 of 125 Hotels in Nairobi
London, United Kingdom
“Probably best in Nairobi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Wow what a difference after the Hiton debacle (see my review on that place for comparison). The Sankara is located in Westlands which was perfect for work. The location is reasonably central near Sarit center which makes is pretty convenient for everyday essentials.

The whole experience was excellent from start to end. Other have already commented on the rooms and I can confirm that they are finished to a very high standard so no complaints there. I booked a transfer from the Airport and it was brilliant. They picked my up in a nice big car ;-) but to my surprise the check in was actually in my room! I have travelled all over the world and this is my first experience of room check in and is definitely something I could get used to!

The restaurants are great and serve good quality food. The place is well secured and the staff were all excellent. There is well equipped gym on the top floor and well worth visiting as Nairobi is pretty high altitude so you'll get a decent work out without too much effort!

I would not hesitate to stay here again and hope other large chains follow it's lead and provide good value for money which is more than can be said for others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a newer hotel, comfortably swanky and well appointed.
It isn't too far from JKIA, so if you have a long layover & want to relax, this is my pick!

I went with my Sweetheart, and we had a lovely time. It is a beautiful hotel, spa services, restaurants and my very favorite- the rooftop bar with a lap pool in the middle. At night, people also gather there to watch soccer games on a large screen. Even when it's warm, you get a nice breeze.

There are little touches I love around the hotel, like the lucite floors where you can see straight down many levels below.

There is a champagne bar, and a Thai restaurant. Rooms are airy and bright, and you could have just about any meeting there. If you are in Nairobi for a while, try one of their events which they host on big Holidays.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Excellent place for a business meeting, in the heart of Westlands where you find almost anything you need without coming to the CBD. Great food, The roof top bar Rocks ! In summary, a Top notch restaurant !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Sankara is a modern, comfortable hotel with good service overall. Check-in was smooth and the staff was very friendly and professional. I had a room on the 6th floor that was well appointed with a working desk, comfortable bed, great bathroom with shower and nice amenities. There is wi-fi in the rooms and common areas and a really good fitness center. I went up to the bar on the 7th floor which was really nice. It's open-air with a pretty good menu. Breakfast was very good; they have a full buffet with a good amount of choices. The one thing they can improve on is the check-out. (It took forever) I'd recommend the Sankara. It felt very safe and had everything that a business traveler would want.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Certainly the best that I have stayed at in Africa, at any rate. Rooms are comfortable, staff are helpful, food is great, and the rooftop terrace is stunning. Nothing was too much trouble, and I really appreciated the little animal carvings which appeared in the room each day, they were lovely souvenirs of the trip.

I can't fault it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was my second visit to Nairobi and this time round i did not manage to stay at Sankara. I had traveled with my partner and we visited the bar by the rooftop. The band that plays on Friday is amazing, service was supper.

We will definitely visit again when in Nairobi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I usually connect though Nairobi from Paris but my flight always arrives around 8:30PM and I leave the next day at around 9:00AM. I have been doing that for a while (for work), and always staying at the Hilton hotel in town. So, on my last trip I decided to check out hotels suggestions on tripadvisor, that's how I found Sankara hotel.

Well, I was very impressed. I chose Sankara because the reviews were excellent but most importantly the restaurants were still open by the time I reached the hotel late at night. This was crucial to me because I had countless of nights at the Hilton where I was both starving and too exhausted to go out. So the cherry on the cake was that I was able to order breakfast in my room at 5:00AM before continuing my long journey. The only inconvenient is that, it takes a bit longer to get to the airport as the hotel is not in the city-center.

The service was excellent, the room was modern and clean. The food at the hotel restaurant was great.

I only have two regrets. First, it's just a pity that I was not with my other-half. Second, I was there for just 6 hours or so ... what a waste!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!