“Exellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodvale Grove, Westlands, Nairobi 00606, Kenya   |
Ranked #10 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
“Exellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed in the Sankara for 1 night before my honeymoon in Zanzibar. Was an Excellent atmosphere and checking was quick and efficient, Staff where friendly and polite. even though it was at 10:00pm. Having liven in Nairobi until i was 16 moved to the UK after, this was an new kind of experience in Nairobi for me . A Modern chic hotel. Rooms where amazing and the bathroom was excellent, had a view of the next door hotel so really did not feel like we where in a city. All in all have no complaints on this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

389 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed there several times, and exerience and service has consistently been good. Check-in was swift and friendly. Rooms are spacious, beds a very good, and the bathroom is excellent. Breakfast buffet is excellent, though gets dreary when staying a week or longer, as always the same. Agree with some reviewers that --whilst a nice setting-- the 7th floor bar is a bit over the top.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Razzmatazz0,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review dated 3rd February 2013 and for your positive compliments about our service and rooms, specially our spacious beds.

We have noted your views on our pool bar on the 7th floor. The design of the bar was done for the area to be versatile, unique and modern style so that one can relax and enjoy our wide selection of healthy fruit juices, cocktails and light poolside cuisine by day. At night Sarabi has become Nairobi’s premier place to relax in an alfresco setting, indulge in canapés sundowners and watch the world go by.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi soon.

With Kind Regards,

The Management.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

All very modern and 'bling' but watch out for some ridiculous rules. We tried to have a beer on the 7th floor pool terrace, it was full so we were put in the 'Champagne Bar' (menu comes on iPads - bit cheesy, and you cannot deviate from the menu e.g. don't try ordering a gin martini..the menu say vodka martini and that is what you will have). In the Champagne Bar you cannot have a beer, even though we pointed out that they put us in there. Manager would not even contemplate it...bit childish and very unfriendly. That said their carpark is very nice....

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review dated 1st February 2013.

We would like to extend our apologies for the inconvenience caused at our Sarabi Pool & Supper club.

The bars were designed as two very separate venues/outlets whereby one can enjoy the open air atmosphere. Each offers a different distinctive experience with a unique theme for each outlet where we offer a specific menus suited to the style of the bar in both food and beverage.

The Champagne Bar has a carefully selected beverage list that is comprised of champagnes, champagne cocktails and an extensive array of the finest single malt whiskies integrated on IPADS; with a sommelier application for our guests to be able to learn more about the drinks on offer, tasting notes, food pairings and about the background of the brand of champagnes and Whiskeys. This rounded experience is unique in Nairobi and something our discerning clientele have found educational in the expanding thirst for knowledge of the food and wine culture in Nairobi.

We would like to apologise if this was not explained to you when seated. We look forward to welcoming you back at the Sarabi Pool & Supper club and our Champagne bar.

With Kind Regards,

The Management.
Harare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Sankara is very good!! its lovely! i like it. its very luxurious!

its well located in Westilands, Nairobi. It has git customer focused staff.

i like the pool situated right on top of the hotel and the view is good from the poolside.

The food is lovely.

Sankara Hotel keep it up!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have easy access to the pool and hence the great poolside view !
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I travel to Kenya for business and stayed at the Intercontinental for my first trip and the Sankara for my second and third trips to Nairobi. While both are safe and well-run establishments, I will continue booking at the Sankara because of the quality of the hotel, the cost, and the amenities. I would say it's definitely on par with a modern business hotel in the States.

As a woman arriving at the airport alone, the car service could not have been easier to book, the staff were efficient and polite, and the hotel itself is very well-appointed and comfortable. While it's located in a very busy and noisy part of the city, my rooms were always quiet and I felt completely safe while on the property.

The food is really what stood out for me in comparison to the Intercontinental. I am extremely cautious and follow a limited diet when I am in Africa but the variety of food at the Sankara was incredible and delicious, especially the Thai restaurant.

All in all, great hotel and I highly recommend it for anyone!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Staff very attuned to customer needs, and very helpful. Business Center staff went out of the way to call an airline when online check-in was not functioning properly. Relaxing bars and very good breakfast spread. Prompt airport pick-up and drop-off, at a decent price. When I had to travel to Burundi and Tanzania for a couple of days, hotel cheerfully held one of my luggage pieces, saving me excess baggage charges. Walking distance to Sarit Centre and Westgate where the Arts Cafe and Nakumatt can be found. A good place to stay in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Stay closer to the elevators to get a better WiFi signal.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Sankara is very luxurious! The amenities and services make you feel welcome and fully accomodated. Location was perfect. Close to my office, right next to the Sarit center and within walking distance to Westgate shopping center. The food at the main restaurant was well prepared and very delicious. The morning buffet was a great idea, but i would have liked to try a variety of breakfast items during my stay. Only a small complaint since I was there for 2 weeks on business and I did manage to switch between the savory part of the buffet and the fruit and cereal part of the buffet. I dont know where they get their granola and Mueseli from but it was excellent!! The fitness center was small but it had what I needed for light workouts to keep me in shape. The fitness professionals were very proffesional and helpful. I was only able to visit the top floor pool and bar on a Sunday late morning for a brief morning of reading my book by the pool, but it look like an excellent place to unwind in the evening.

The rooms were comfortable and spacious. Not alot of drawer space, but everything else was meticulously looked after and well kept by the house keeping staff. I really liked the wake up call functionality that was integrated within the hotel TV/cable system. There were other functionalities associated with this system and now I wish I had taken advantage of them.

Only one complaint...while on their wireless, I could not use my corporate email to send email, even through encapsulated secure traffic port. I still had my web email client, though. I can only assume that this is a security measure, which is understandable.

All in all The Sankara Hotel spoiled me and made me feel safe for a rarely travelled westerner.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!