“Excellent Service and Good Location” 5 of 5 stars

Sankara Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodvale Grove, Westlands, Nairobi 00606, Kenya   |
Ranked #10 of 100 hotels in Nairobi
Fort Worth, Texas USA
“Excellent Service and Good Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Staff very attuned to customer needs, and very helpful. Business Center staff went out of the way to call an airline when online check-in was not functioning properly. Relaxing bars and very good breakfast spread. Prompt airport pick-up and drop-off, at a decent price. When I had to travel to Burundi and Tanzania for a couple of days, hotel cheerfully held one of my luggage pieces, saving me excess baggage charges. Walking distance to Sarit Centre and Westgate where the Arts Cafe and Nakumatt can be found. A good place to stay in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Stay closer to the elevators to get a better WiFi signal.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Sankara is very luxurious! The amenities and services make you feel welcome and fully accomodated. Location was perfect. Close to my office, right next to the Sarit center and within walking distance to Westgate shopping center. The food at the main restaurant was well prepared and very delicious. The morning buffet was a great idea, but i would have liked to try a variety of breakfast items during my stay. Only a small complaint since I was there for 2 weeks on business and I did manage to switch between the savory part of the buffet and the fruit and cereal part of the buffet. I dont know where they get their granola and Mueseli from but it was excellent!! The fitness center was small but it had what I needed for light workouts to keep me in shape. The fitness professionals were very proffesional and helpful. I was only able to visit the top floor pool and bar on a Sunday late morning for a brief morning of reading my book by the pool, but it look like an excellent place to unwind in the evening.

The rooms were comfortable and spacious. Not alot of drawer space, but everything else was meticulously looked after and well kept by the house keeping staff. I really liked the wake up call functionality that was integrated within the hotel TV/cable system. There were other functionalities associated with this system and now I wish I had taken advantage of them.

Only one complaint...while on their wireless, I could not use my corporate email to send email, even through encapsulated secure traffic port. I still had my web email client, though. I can only assume that this is a security measure, which is understandable.

All in all The Sankara Hotel spoiled me and made me feel safe for a rarely travelled westerner.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed on a business trip as close to my office. Very modern hotel with great bars and restaurants (very small though, so book tables in advance). Pool on the seventh floor. Rooms very nice with Internet and international TV. Great bathrooms. For rooms think about an upscale Marriott

Recommended

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the beautiful Sankara in December before and after our safari. It was a wonderful start and finish to our journey. The rooms are spacious, comfy beds and massive washrooms (with great bath products which are handy to take along on safari). The service was fantastic we had a small issue with our wake up call not working which delayed us for our flight outbound to safari but the Sankara made up for it when we returned as they upgraded us to a suite. The restaurants are very good. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning which had everything you could want! Good veggie options, fruits, waffles, eggs, cold cuts and cheese, fresh pastries, hot food dishes. We also dined twice at the Thai restaurant which was delicious. There's a nice cafe in the hotel and amazing pool bar on the roof top. The location is ideal. In the middle of the westlands within walking distance to the Sarit Centre (shopping) and Westgate Mall. If you're looking for crafts and souvenirs venture into the shops across Sankara on the street. It looks a little shady but it's a cool experience and you are guaranteed to find good deals on carvings. Just be cautious with your wallet and purse and mind your surroundings...as you would anywhere. There are a number of restaurants and bars close by. We tried Open House (indian) which is literally 3 min from the hotel. The food was amazing! Also nairobi is not the safest city which you probably already know if you're planning a trip there. So don't be alarmed as the Sankara will scan all vehicles before entering the premises and check your bags every time you enter the hotel. Annoying at times but reassuring for guests. Overall I would highly recommend Sankara if you're looking to get a little spoiled and enjoy luxury and comfort in Nairobi.

• Stayed December 2012
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

After 2 weeks camping in Kenya & Uganda, we decided on a night of luxury at Sankara and what a good move!

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly; the decor is great, especially the amazing paintings all over the place; the room was huge and equipped with everything you can think of + more you probably wouldnt (eg. velvet lined snacks draw; slippers); the bed was super comfy; the rooftop pool bar is fantastic and the food was first class. Security was really good too.

It didn't feel much like Kenya but if you want to be able to relax and enjoy when you get out of the bustle and traffic, Sankara is the place! It was also not much more expensive than another distinctly average place in the same area we stayed at the start of our trip (Boulevard)... a different world here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I loved this hotel. I was only there overnight but i was treated like a queen and the room i booked came with a complimentary breakfast which was really good. The room was more that spacious and very clean. In fact everything looked new (probably because the hotel opened in the last 28mnths). I was very impressed with the rooftop bar and wished i had booked in for longer and in summer. The bar as with most 5 star hotels is very pricey so more of a treat than a place to have several drinks.

The breakfast was amazing , it had cereals, fresh fruit and juices and a whole buffet of hot feasts complete with an egg chef. They also serve this really nice ginger tea which was a treat. And in the morning they leave a newpaper outside your room complimentary. I would definately go here again and would recommend all to do the same.

Room Tip: I dont think many rooms have breathtaking views but the hotel is so amazing you wouldnt notice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at Sankara three times in December, between trips to the East Coast and Maasai Mara. Although it was on the opposite side of the city center from the airport traffic was not an issue because our flights were either on Sunday or very early in the morning. When we first arrived late, hungry, and tired the staff at Artisan restaurant were very gracious and accommodating. It was nearly closing time but they accompanied us around the sumptuous buffet making suggestions. When they found out our son was picky about food they offered to cook something for him. But it wasn't necessary, their buffet spread is 5-star. On a couple of other occasions I find that they are also very accommodating with other requests: when I wanted gingerbread cookies on Christmas eve and a complete set of their soapstone animals.
My only complaint had to do with the centralized AC. We stayed in three different rooms and each time we changed the AC settings to cooler temperature it remained at 23-24 C all night, that we had to sleep without the duvet. It would have been nice if there was a blanket sheet at least. We finally informed the hotel and the AC technician promptly showed up.
The other things we like the hotel and why we'd recommend it to friends: the rooftop pool, outlets for our laptop and iPad, comfortably soft bed, shower and tub, proximity to shopping centers (Sarit Center, Westland Mall, Nakumatt), and restaurants that we could simply walk to.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!