“Conference services” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 97 hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Conference services”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I was here for a few days for a conference. My expectations were high because of all that I heard heard prior to visiting this place. The service was impressive. Everybody was really polite, which is great especially when you need information. The Wi-fi connection was down but they tried fixing it the whole time we were there. all, in all it was a great experience!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

378 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I am writing this review once again since my earlier review with the same title has been removed without giving me a notification. I guess this Hotel management asked to be removed due to not so positive review.

I had written that, I checked-in the Hotel at 3.30AM on 25 October 2012 with my Daughter on our way to safari. At check-in time, an Austrailan guy with a local women entered from security gate. Man had a mud and blood cover his face, holding a big broken big (baseball bat like) stick. He said the security personel that he just had a fight with Locals at the exit of a nearby bar.

Security personel let the couple in from the security gate as if noting happened in front of my Daughter's shocking eyes.

I challenge the Hotel Management sharing the security camera pictures since we were all on the same picture at this time.

I also put a small protest to TripAdvisor Management for removing my review without investigation the facts of this event based on pressure from this Hotel Management.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Mr. Savas-Unsal,

Thank you for your review dated 18th November 2012.

We challenged trip advisor on your original review as we felt your review was not completely accurate and not in keeping with the guidelines & conditions of posting reviews on trip advisor.

We note on your review that you were not in agreement with being charged for two nights as you arrived at 03:00am. Kindly note that to guarantee an early arrival the room needs to be booked from the night before. The hotel was running on full occupancy, had the room not been booked from the previous night, you may have had to wait until 1400hrs, normal check in time, or when the first room checked out prior to midday and prepared for you. The pre-booking charge is a standard international practice of all hotels world-wide, therefore you were charged for 2 nights though you arrived at 03.00am. This was clearly advised at the time of reservation. Please clarify with your booker/agent/Company as they confirmed the pre-booking.

To publish CCTV footage as you have requested would not be appropriate for security and data privacy. We are sorry that the incident occurred during the time of your check in, however, the incident is something beyond our control and occurred outside the hotel premises. Whilst our security may have let the gentleman into the hotel in such a condition, it is not our policy to turn away people in distress or in need of assistance, which this gentleman was clearly in need of. For clarification the actual account of what had happened to the gentleman is not as described on your review and not occurred in a bar near the hotel.

We can only extend our apologies if you feel that your experience of the hotel has resulted in the sentiment expressed of the management and security based only on the incidents outlined. We would like to reassure you that we welcome comments from our guests as a means of constructive feedback to continually improve our services. Security is of paramount importance to us and something we take very seriously. This is an isolated incident and the depiction of it in terms of poor security is not in keeping with the actual infrastructure, procedures and processes implemented by the hotel.

We trust that the isolated experience has not deterred you from a return visit and look forward to welcoming you back to restore your faith in our management and hotel security standards.

With Kind Regards,

The Management.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here for a week long workshop for a project that my job had me involved in.

The hotel was really nice. The room was nice, but little things like the towel hanging fitting being loose detracted from the 5* quality. Personally I think the room was somewhere between 3 and 4 star quality.

The in-house restaurants (both of them) were brilliant. Great food and reasonably priced. The choice at breakfast was brilliant.

The conference centres were ok. The room was large enough for us all to fit really well, and lunch was included. I wasn't involved in the commercials of the room, so I don't know about value, but see the comments about the food and choice above, it still applies here.

We had some technical issues with the projector and AV conferencing (which was in part, but not solely, due to a disruption to the undersea cables - so not completely the fault of the hotel).

The in-room internet connection was dreadful. We couldn't connect back to VPN's in the UK, and if connecting over WiFi the connection would cut out frequently. Stability was mildly better when cabled in. I won't comment on speed as that wasn't entirely their fault (see the comment about the under-sea cable.)

The rooftop pool area was stunning, and the pool has a partial glass bottom over hanging the car park.

There is a shopping centre around the corner and if you ask the staff they'll give you directions.

The staff were really nice and accommodating.

All in all, if I had the money to return to Kenya for pleasure I probably would stay here for some of the trip. The room was nice but the roof bar and restaurants really pulled my opinion of the hotel up. From a business point of view, it's fine if you're not reliant on WiFi (i.e. bring an ethernet cable!)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Have stayed here more than five times in last one year and can say that this is one of the best hotels in Nairobi. Doesnt matter whether u r travelling for business or on a holiday, hotel offers you a new property, good housekeeping and service, nice restaurants, nice pool and gym.

Room Tip: Choose rooms at Floors 2+
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had the opportunity of staying at the Sankara Nairobi recently. I was greeted by very friendly staff on checking in, which was a very smooth process as well. The room and bathroom were very clean and bed was very comfortable. The animal figurines made of soap stone as a complimentary gift during turn down everyday is very unique indeed. My stay at the hotel was short but I would definitely recommend it to friends and family. I would definitely return myself.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is pretty nice and makes great use of it's small space. The decor is fabulous and high quality fittings were used. Natural wood keeps the rooms feeling light, yet cosy.
Room Service is fast and courteous. My one complaint was the security scanner visit everytime one entered the hotel.
Also service staff is courteous but not necessarily the friendliest.
Overall decent service though

• Stayed November 2012
Nungwi, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently enjoyed a three night stay at this terrific city property. The rooms are modern, comfortable and very clean. The breakfast buffet is amazing and the staff throughout are exceptional! They are attentive without being intrusive, kind without being "smarmy" and absolutely nothing was too much trouble.

The room was quiet, the internet service was free, easy to connect and surprisingly fast. The bed was very comfortable, I'm only sorry that I didn't take the time to try out the "Pillow Menu" which included some very exotic choices!

We were attending a function at the Sarit Center and the location next door could not be more convenient. Unfortunately the current construction meant that you had to walk around the block, but once that is done, the location for this purpose will be terrific.

The boutique is terrific, carrying some unusual items and everything locally crafted. I was impressed that the woman on duty knew the source of so many of their products and was proud to discuss them with me. They carry a number of items made by the less fortunate with the proceeds going back to the group. Not only great products, but excellent community involvement!

My only disappointment was with the room service dinner. The bread on the bottom of the club sandwich was wet and the creme brulee unfortunately awful. I think that my disappointment was compounded by the fact that breakfast had been so wonderful, I expected a fantastic dinner and it really wasn't.

Even with the room service problem, I would happily stay at the Sankara again. The hotel is lovely, but the exceptional service from the staff is what makes it really special.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!