“Average business hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 96 hotels in Nairobi
Gurgaon
“Average business hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Think the enterance of the hotel, is undergoing rennovation and the the location is nothing to write about i.e. behind a petro pump, in the middle of a commercial area.

The place is expensive- clearly the demand/supply equation, working overtime. Room and the hotel interiors were great. However what sucked big time was the service. Reached on sunday and I needed to work- using the hotel internet. The LAN based or the WIFI internet refused to work- called approx 5 times and after 6 hours, I get told that the IT person has left for the day. I then moved to the common area, to work (as I did get the WIFI signal there). The shower was broken, the house keeping guy came and fixed it- but he also took up approx 1 hour + and he came in when I was out working. When I came back, the hotel security guard- was outside my room and he points to the open door of my room saying- please close your door when you leave the room. I was flabbergasted as, I did close the room. I entered the room to find the house keeping guy working on the shower . .some security. The house keeping was first class, the personal touch of leaving one animal every day for the guest- is a great idea. Room service is slow. The rooms was great, service in the dining area first class. However this internet problem and the general service- when you call for it, spoilt my experience. Will surely travel to Kenya again and use this property again: I need to give them a chance again :).

Should also mention, the guys lead you to the common spa- if you need to change etc, after you check out. Not a good idea- cause as a guest, you leave with the memory of the common gym bath and not the overall experience of the hotel. Late check out was not entertained at all, with the reception ratteling per hour rates- when I asked for the same.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Pstaney,

Thank you for your review dated 17th September 2012 and taking the time to write this review.

We are currently renovating our external parking for the hotel. The landscaped area along with the perimeter wall modifications, will enhance the arrival experience and improve the flow of traffic and security for our guests. The works are being undertaken with our guests in mind and sincerely regret that your arrival experience was not up to expectation. Please rest assured that the works are in no way affecting the guests' stay within the hotel.

Kindly accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and the difficulties experienced with our Internet and general service. This is not our usual standard and we have raised this with our Food & Beverage team in order to improve the speed of service.

However, we are delighted to advise you that we have recently upgraded our bandwidth for Internet and now are in the process of reviewing the connectivity with our internet Service provider. Some of the intermittent services you experienced were also caused by outages from the provider which regretfully is beyond our control.

At Sankara Nairobi we value your experiences and are concerned to ensure our guests’ convenience and comfort are met at all times. We do therefore appreciate you taking the time to write your feedback in order for us to improve on the services that we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi and thank you for affording us an early opportunity to restore your faith in our services and facilities.

With Kind Regards,

The Management.

376 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed there before and after our safari and we loved it. The hotel is modern and very well decorated. The restaurants offer enough variety so that you do not get bored with the food if you are staying there for a few days. The breakfast buffet is a bit expensive, but the selection is great. Try their lattes!
The roof-top pool and the gym are quite enjoyable. They have a personal trainer at the gym; it is a nice touch. The one on duty when I was there was quite funny and he was able to make me work hard!
The staff was very nice. And the security at the hotel is also quite reassuring.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have staid in Sankara Nairobi for one night on my way back from my honeymoon (5 August, 2012).

The hotel has major works in front of the door and it seems you are entering a construction site.

As we were checking in, we were told that our reservation (made by our travel agency) had been cancelled. As it was Sunday, I could not contact my travel agent and I had no alternative other than paying myself for the stay with my credit card.

In check-in I had specifically asked for a nice room, as this was the end of our honeymoon. They were kind enough to get us a room... with separate beds!!!! Just what you wish for in a honeymoon, right?

But the worse was yet to come. When we arrived in Lisbon, our travel agent said that he reservation had not been cancelled at all. They contacted the hotel, and the hotel had requested a declaration from me, allowing them to credit my payment back into my credit card.

One month has already elapsed, and no payment was credited back to my credit card. So far, I have paied (good money) for two nights, having stayed there for only one night.

This was, as you all can imagine, the worse possible end for a honeymoon. Still waiting for the refund...!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Mr.Cortez,

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused and the difficulties experienced. However, please rest assured that this is not our usual standard and we have raised this with our Front office team to prevent any recurrence. We also would like to assure you that the refund to your credit card has been done for the accommodation charges.

There was a breakdown in communication between your travel agents and the hotel on the cancellation of the reservation received. Regrettably the hotel was full during your stay limiting us from having flexibility in the type of room requested as well.

The entire team at Sankara Nairobi care deeply about our guests’ convenience and comfort and also appreciate your feedback in order for us to improve on the services that we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi to afford us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

With Kind Regards,

The Management.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed at the Sankara for a few nights on business. The rooms were very well appointed and the service is excellent. The front desk was able to arrange transportation for my trip -- the hotel allows you to pay for taxi rides through the hotel, removing the need to haggle over the price (though naturally the price will be on the high end). I enjoyed the gym and drinks by the pool were an excellent way to end the day. The restaurants are good, though expensive. My only complaint is that the internet connection was spotty at times, but this is probably true of most hotels in the city. In all, an excellent stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Abu Dhabi, UAE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I recently stayed at Sankara with my husband and three children. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They made sure we were all comfortable in our adjoining rooms and that every detail was attended to. The food was great as well. The children were especially thrilled with the stone animals that they received each night. When one of the kids dropped and consequently broke one of their animals, the staff immediately replaced it at no charge, even though we asked to buy another. Our three nights at Sankara were very nice and relaxing. The only downer is that the rooftop pool is located in a bar area, not allowing children after 6pm.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Best location in town, particularly if you have meetings both downtown, U of Nairobi, and the UN compound. Design is clean, almost Nordic, but with a clear African flavour. Service is impeccable. Personalised, attentive, anticipating needs and, on top, a model of Kenyan hospitality and warmth. Food at Thai is of high quality, even if pricey. But restaurant is rather tight and awkward in shape. Breakfast is a treat, varied, with great fresh produce, European and worldly selections and service at restaurants maches rest of the hotel. Disappointment is with bar and swiming pool at terrace. They are well-intended and, again, very finely serviced by very competent barren and women, but space is uncomfortable, small, and unattractive. Swiming pool is not inviting, and exercise rooms and sauna, small for a hotel of this category. Proce is, as with all hotels in Nairobi these days, at par with similar category hotels in main European or American cities. Overall a great place to stay, renovations would hopefully add a garden and a better swiming pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

As a Kenyan, I have visited many hotels in Nairobi, but none comes any close to Sankara. The staff are extremely friendly and courteous, the place is clean and super beautiful, the food is to die for, their cocktails are the best, and just about everything about it is amazing!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!