“Safe and Excellent Quality” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Festive Season Special
Ranked #13 of 111 Hotels in Nairobi
Dallas, Texas
“Safe and Excellent Quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

This is an excellent hotel. If you look at my prior reviews, you will find that I seldom give any hotel a 4 or 5. However, this hotel (based on the standards that I have seen and experienced in Kenya) deserves a 4 1/2. The following is a brief summary of the quality of this hotel.

Safety: This is on the minds of most travelers from Europe and the States. The drive up to the hotel opens your eyes to the security of this hotel. With the steel bars that rise from the ground to keep unwanted traffic out of the parking area and the metal detector at the entrance to the hotel, along with all the other security measures, it is quite a comforting feeling to know you can relax.

Registration and check out: Very simple. Did not take me long at all. The bellman was very informative regarding all that was available within the hotel.

Room: Excellent. The room was high quality and beautiful. It would be considered very nice in the States. Complimentary water bottles abound all around the room. Great shower. Enjoyed the TV speakers in the bathroom. Bed was extremely comfortable. My normal pet peeve is the pillows. I dread sleeping on hotel pillows. These pillows are one of the very few exceptions to the norm of hotel pillows. They were very comfortable. The air conditioner worked great. Slept soundly.

Restaurant: If there is any area where there needs to be improvement is in the menu selection at the restaurant. It leans towards being oriental type food but not exactly. This should be cleaned up a bit. The buffet that is available is very good however, at the price, can be too expensive to be reasonable. The deserts, however, are exceptional. Service is great.

Neighborhood: Across the one of the streets that borders the property, is a market area where you can buy some things at reasonable prices. There is also a mall down the street that is nice.

Location: If you have worked to do downtown, this is the place to stay. If you have someone to drive you around, then stay here anyway, whether or not you have work downtown. Being downtown, the biggest issue is the traffic. Whenever you plan to go somewhere via vehicle, plan to add extra time to your trip due to the terrible traffic around the hotel.

An area that seemed to me to be a bit confusing and a little disappointing was the confusion on what was included and what wasn't included with my room. I was upgraded to the "Club Level" floor and told that the spa, exercise room and the private dining area was available to me due to staying on the Club Level floor. However, when I went to the private dining area, the lady at the front desk said that I was not allowed to eat there because I was "only an upgrade" and had not paid the full price to be on the Club Level floor. This was disappointing, especially after I had been given a tour of the entire place upon my arrival. However, this didn't spoil anything for me.

Previously, I had stayed at the Tribe Hotel. It is also a very nice place to stay. However, without saying anything more about it, when I return to Nairobi, I will stay at the Sankara. It is a better fit for my tastes.

Room Tip: Request a room on the Club Level. If you get upgraded to this level, be sure to find out if you get...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

The restaurants, the rooms, minute details all at par with the best on the globe. Keep it up, viva Kenya another feather in our cap!!

• Stayed February 2012
FRANCE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Nairobi was just a stop over to head to a safari trip. The stay at Sankara was a good surprise. I was really impress to see a hotel like this in Nairobi. The style is modern Afric chic, very well done. They have a nice roof top swimming pool where you can also have lunch.the cuisine is not extraodinary but its probably the best you can find there. The rooms are are confortable and nice.
Expect to see many business people.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

i stayed in sankara for a week during a conference. The hotel is very modern, luxurious. The rooms were beautiful with a nice view of the city. staff was very friendly. Dinner was well done. Breakfast buffee was good, there was a lot of variety to eat. Nice bar at the roof and at 1st floor, with entertainment.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

This was my first trip to Kenya so I was a little excited even though it was only for a couple of days and only for business. On arrival at the airport, I was met by the hotel transport and taken to the hotel where I felt the warmth of a true African welcome! The gentleman who carried my bags and then showed me to my room (and I am cross with myself that I did not get his name) was wonderful and was very knowledgeable about the hotel and area. My room was lovely and the bathroom is great - one of the most well laid out bathrooms I have come across! The room was very quiet even though it overlooked the street and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in! Good wifi connection which is free in all the rooms. On my last day, I finished work early enough to spend a couple of hours in the Angsana Spa at the top of the hotel and what a great way to end a hectic couple of days in Nairobi! My only complaint about the hotel was that there was no body lotion in the bathroom amenities and the hotel did not make up my room on the first day (which was my fault because I left the do not disturb light lit even though my key card was out of the slot). All in all a good hotel for business but beware of the chaotic traffic in Nairobi - 2 1/2 hours to get back to the airport, it only took 30 mins to get to the hotel on arrival!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the back gardens.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear McKarabia,

Thank you for your review dated May 18th, 2012 and taking the time to write this positive review and lovely comments.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and delighted that we were able to deliver a 5 star personalised service and comfort to meet and exceed your expectations.

Thank you for your kind compliments about our rooms and Angsana Spa.

The Team at Sankara appreciate your feedback in order for us to improve on the services that we offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi soon.

With Kind regards,

The Management
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

After 3 tiring days in Masai Mara, Sankara was a bliss. Fantastic and quite luxurious hotel, very comfortable room and three of us had a very relaxing time. Bar on the 1st floor is quite reasonable and restaurant adjoining it serves indian and continental food. Although i was not impressed with the East Asian restaurant that we tried our lunch in. Tom yum soong soup was too sour and i realized that the restaurant still has miles to go before they claim authentic south east asian tag. However, everyone that i met in the hotel was warm and welcoming so i excused the 'Thai food' fiasco :)

Lovely ambience of the lobby, i asked for a taxi and it was promptly arranged at a very reasonable cost...its very close to West gate mall and other markets. Loved the place and would recommend the place minus food. We left early next day so can't say anything about breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

Love the extra touches: luxury robe, great organic Kenyan in-room French press coffee service, DVD player, solid wifi, easy friendly service, cool rooftop bar and pool, legit security, and two shopping centers within 5-minute walk!

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!