“Good property, but not ideal for business travellers with meetings in town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sankara Nairobi

You added Sankara Nairobi to your Saves list
Sankara Nairobi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Woodvale Grove, Westlands, Nairobi 00606, Kenya   |
Ranked #12 of 122 Hotels in Nairobi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC
“Good property, but not ideal for business travellers with meetings in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed for two weeks at the Sankara during a work trip in December 2011. Very nice, W-inspired hotel, with wireless (spotty at times, but free) service across the property. For business travelers like me who have daily business in town, the hotel is inconvenient due to heavy traffic going from Westlands to town. Also, for longer stays, there is a very little outdoor space, with the exception of the rooftop bar, but that is usually packed with local youngsters smoking hookah.

If, however, you will stick around Westlands (a very nice area), and are just looking to relax at a luxury hotel for a short stay, this would be a good choice. I am going back to Nairobi in January, but will not return to the hotel, due mostly to the traffic of going to town from the hotel (about 45 minutes to 1 hour each way). Also, this time they said they can't match my corporate rate, fair enough.

Details:

Service: Very nice at most times, very courteous but spotty. For example, the pool is supposed to be open at 6:00 or 7 00 AM. Numerous times when I went up for a quick swim before my work meetings around 7 00 AM I saw that it was still dirty from the night before (cigarette buds...etc), which I don't mind, but I saw several other guests turning around. One morning I swam with rose pedals from a wedding which had taken place the night before. That was actually a nice experience, but for those that actually want to swim in a clean pool, you'd need to wait a bit longer. Another service experience was regarding the noise level in my room. I was initially given a room immediately below the roofdeck bar. Due to low insulation, most of the noise from the bar trickles down to the room, which woke me up a number of times. I complained 4 or 5 nights about this and nothing happened. The final time I requested to speak to a manager, and then everything improved; she was amazing, and offered me a complementary upgrade to a suite (very nice). But it doesn't change the fact that the service remains average until after you insist on elevating things to management level.

Rooftop pool bar: Very nice in the late afternoon, but is usually packed with local youngsters smoking hookah (not a problem in and out of itself), but makes it a bit inappropriate to hold work gatherings. Otherwise they have very nice cocktails and it is an absolute pleasure to hang out in.

Restaurants: The hotel offers various restaurants and I've tried them all. At best they are mediocre.

Location: Good for hanging out, shopping etc. But not if you have business in town. Westlands to town traffic is usually heavily congested. Also, the westlands roundabout which is right near the hotel is known to a be highly dangerous area (I actually had my iphone stolen from the back of a taxi in the roundabout there). If you will stay at this hotel and will be using a taxi/car to get through the roundabout, make absolutely sure to lock the doors and keep the windows closed.

Rooms: Very nice finishing that is better than African levels. Occasionally there is plumbing problems, but that is to be expected in any hotel in Nairobi.

Tips: The hotel's gift shop has good items (I shopped there myself), and the banana box that is in the Sarit center right near the hotel is also good for souvenirs. There is also a very good Javahouse at the Sarit center. Westgate shopping mall near the hotel also has a good cafe (Art Caffe).

Room Tip: 6th floor is the club level, but the rooftop bar is right on top of this level (on the 7th floor). D...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear OnurWashingtonDC,

Thank you for your review dated 1st January 2012.

First and foremost, Sankara Team wishes you a prosperous New Year and all the best in 2012.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and the Team at Sankara appreciate your constructive feedback in order for us to further improve on the services that we offer.

Please accept our apologies with regard to the standard of our pool. The matter is being addressed with our Housekeeping team and our pool attendant so that corrective standards and procedures are followed to prevent a similar occurrence.

We regret to note that the room you stayed in did not meet your expectations due to the noise from Sarabi Pool and Supper Club and plumbing issues. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the difficulties experienced during your stay and regret that a manager had to be called to finally solve the matter.

Sankara's Sarabi Pool & Supper Club is the premium place to meet,eat and enjoy cocktails. As the night falls Sarabi Supper Club creates an ambiance of chic relaxation. Thank you for the lovely compliments stated on your review about our cocktails and boutique.

With regard to our restaurants, we are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Time permitting, we would appreciate if you could let us know what was missing in your experience and what we could have done to exceed the expectations in the restaurants.

Whilst we appreciate that the traffic has proved to be a factor to deter you from staying with us on your next stay, we do hope that you will afford us an early opportunity to restore your faith in the Sankara soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi, traffic permitting.

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2011

Excellent breakfast, clean rooms. Most staff are professional. Many thanks to Krishna. The fitness instructor is the best.

Room Tip: Rooms pretty clean and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Thank you for your review dated December 30th, 2011.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and delighted that we were able to deliver the personalised service and comfort to meet your expectations. The Team at Sankara appreciate your positive feedback in order for us to further improve on the services that we offer.

Krishna,our Sankara Star, will be delighted and proud with the comments you have shared on your review.

Sankara management and Team wishes you a Happy New Year and all the best in 2012.

Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Ok it's obvious, it's a five star hotel, but sometimes you can be very disappointed by five stars hotels. Not here.

I asked for a transfer from the airport, the driver was waiting for me there and was friendly, he drove an almost new mercedes and brought me to the hotel in no time (ok, it was midnight, so no traffic jam at that time).= charge 55USD (easier than begin to negociate with the airport taxi drivers)

The staff at check-in is friendly and helpful (and working fast)

The rooms are not that big, but are big enough, but the king-size bed is really good !

The rooms are quiet as the hotel is situated in a small side street.

The airco is working very good and is silent, but ok in december it was not really needed.

The bar is ok, i read that the bar earned the award of "best wine bar" of Nairobi (or something approaching), the wine list is indeed impressive, but very expensive !!

The "Sarabi restaurant" (east Asia) is serving very good food, but is a bit isolated from the lobby. I preferred the buffet which is very nice (30USD) or the "à la carte menu" from the "Artisan" restaurant of the lobby. But for all tree restaurants, the staff is very friendly.

I tried the pool, which is impressive being at the 7th floor and having glass bottom so you can see the street 7 levels down !! But don't expect to swim a lot, the pool is small, also there are only about 10 deck chairs, but the environment is there great.

Internet is free and is working good in the whole hotel, restaurant, pool, rooms...

To summarize, i'm very satisfied, i used to stay in another hotel downtown, from now i will stay in the Sankara.

Dear Hjeang,

Thank you for your positive review dated 27th December 2011.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and delighted that we were able to deliver a 5 star personalised service and comfort to meet your expectations. The Team at Sankara appreciate your positive feedback in order for us to improve on the services that we offer.

Thank you for your kind compliments about our Culinary delivery of food, ambience and design. We have tried as much as possible to combine five-star international standards with personal service and authentic flavour of the new Africa!!

Sankara's Sarabi Pool & Supper Club is the premium place to meet,eat, sundowner and enjoy cocktails. As the night falls Sarabi Supper Club creates an ambiance of chic relaxation.

We are committed and always striving to meet high international standards as recognised by the awards received in 2011 for Conde Nast Traveller Hot List 2011,the Wine Spectator Award for Excellence for The Gallery’s renowned wine collection, a first within the region and the recently awarded Best Hotel Construction and Design at the International Property Awards.

new york, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

The Sankara was such a treat after a week long camping adventure. The rooms are on the small side, but well done and comfortable. The fitness center is one of the best I have ever seen at a hotel and even has a complimentary personal trainer. The rooftop pool was also quite enjoyable and the service was top notch. As for the area, I never felt unsafe walking around and it only took about 10 minutes to get to the city center via taxi. I highly recommend staying at the Sankara.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Dear Kris,

Thank you for your review dated December 20th, 2011 and taking the time to write this positive review.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and delighted that we were able to deliver a 5 star personalised service and comfort to meet your expectations. The Team at Sankara appreciate your feedback in order for us to improve on the services that we offer.

Sankara Team wishes you Festive Felicitations and all the best in the new year.

Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

I had a very pleasant stay here. Very courteous, almost too courteous. :) The room was really comfortable with the lighting and the mirrors. The bed was comfy but the bath tub didn't work. The plug was spoiled and i couldn't run a bath. Housekeeping was very timely and did a great job too.

You should stay here and oh, ask for Monicah at the Front desk. The nicest lady ever.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear AhAdAd,

Thank you for your review dated December 20th, 2011.

Please accept our apologies for the faulty drainage on the bathtub/plug, however, we are delighted to note that our Housekeeping team were very efficient in solving the issue.

Monica,our Sankara Star, at the reception will be delighted and proud with the comments you have shared on her service delivery and we will ensure that she gets the deserved recognition.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

A very good and clean hotel to stay in Nairobi. I recommend

• Stayed December 2011
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

The Sankara is a great hotel in the Westlands section of Nairobi. It's not as opulent as a 5 star hotel, but still is an excellent property. The grounds aren't much to speak of (no gardens, small rooftop pool and deck) but the guest rooms are very modern (bordering on futuristic) and quite large, especially the bathrooms. The gym is pretty small, it has two bikes, two treadmills, and two elliptical machines for cardio, some dumbbells, and then a few universal machines. Fortunately, it was never very crowded while I was there. My room was one of the few that had a balcony but it had poor drainage and was full of rainwater. The staff is attentive and will make up your room within moments of you requesting it. The restaurant is good (not amazing) and is quite overpriced for the buffet. Order off the menu and you'll save about 50%. Also be sure to get the inclusive bed and breakfast room rate because there is no breakfast a la carte menu. Try the fresh passion fruit and then have them every day for the duration of your stay; they're delicious.

Most importantly, beware the WiFi network. I signed in and my computer contracted a virus or a trojan that rendered it completely useless. I had to format my hard drive once I got home. I was relegated to using my phone for internet the remainder of the week which was frustrating. Be sure to have your virus scan up and running at all times and update your definitions before heading there.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
Dear Windowseater,

Thank you for your review dated December 15th, 2011. We highly appreciate you taking the time to write this review.

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your wonderful compliments you have mentioned about our Team and the hotel.

We are sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations with the Drainage and extend our apologies for the occurrence. The matter is being addressed with our Engineering team and will also ensure that appropriate drainage systems are put into place prevent a similar occurrence.

We would like to assure you that Sankara Nairobi's hotel internet network is behind an industry-strength corporate CheckPoint© firewall configured to prevent & protect information and computer equipment from any malicious and targeted attacks. This applies to both our wired and wireless networks.

However, we regret to note that the computer suffered a virus and/or Trojan infection that rendered the machine inoperable, it is very possible that this infection could have occurred outside our network, and we would interested in getting more details of the incident if possible for further investigation. Rest assured that we are always ready to assist wherever possible.

Sankara Nairobi's ICT Department always encourages guests to always have the latest antivirus protection enabled on their equipment at all times to prevent these attacks.

Sankara management and Team wishes you Festive Felicitations and all the best in the new year.

The Management

Been to Sankara Nairobi? Share your experiences!